ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State RBs - Phil/Jed comments

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
if you heard today's show Phil talked about lack of home run back - which has been on several threads here. they discussed who (if any back) has elite speed and there were several people tweeting in on this.

• K Lee is right now #1 back. not elite speed, dropped in weight and seems to be juking around looking for home run. he is a power back trying to play the role, but not his skill.
  • Lovett now looks like #2 back. might have speed but have not seen much of him. 11 carries for 45 yds in Nova game. Talked about his Baylor run experience more like MY offense.
  • Cain - hurt again in Auburn game. did not notice that, so maybe he is not big part of this year.
  • Ford and Holmes supposed to be home run speed.
  • Ford too small not been effective on inside. shows flashes but never seems to break tackles.
  • Holmes sub 4.4 speed but really doesn't play. Seider says he still is catching up to the game. i have noticed he does not seem to know the plays.
what this discussion turned to is NEXT year's recruits Singleton and Allen. I guess that is all you need to know. Not much expected from current RB group.

if you heard today's show Phil talked about lack of home run back - which has been on several threads here. they discussed who (if any back) has elite speed and there were several people tweeting in on this.

• K Lee is right now #1 back. not elite speed, dropped in weight and seems to be juking around looking for home run. he is a power back trying to play the role, but not his skill.
  • Lovett now looks like #2 back. might have speed but have not seen much of him. 11 carries for 45 yds in Nova game. Talked about his Baylor run experience more like MY offense.
  • Cain - hurt again in Auburn game. did not notice that, so maybe he is not big part of this year.
  • Ford too small not been effective on inside. shows flashes but never seems to break tackles.
  • Holmes sub 4.4 speed but really doesn't play. Seider says he still is catching up to the game. i have noticed he does not seem to know the plays.
what this discussion turned to is NEXT year's recruits Singleton and Allen. I guess that is all you need to know. Not much expected from current RB group.
Clifford was #88 QB by the "experts."

Clifford was #88 QB by the "experts."
"experts" were looking at 2020 and not 2019.

I think Phil/Jed were talking about the results of the RB room 1/3 into the season. RB room was thought to be an area of strength going into the season, and the OL was thought to be the best and deepest in many years.

Reactions: canuckhal

What happened to all the pre-season talk about how the RB room was so loaded?

"experts" were looking at 2020 and not 2019.

I think Phil/Jed were talking about the results of the RB room 1/3 into the season. RB room was thought to be an area of strength going into the season, and the OL was thought to be the best and deepest in many years.
So if 4-0 PSU could have flipped the stats and passing yards were rushing and rushing were passing....would everyone be happy? Then all the experts here could be continuing their pre season abuse of Clifford.
Coaches, QB, line, RB....4-0 but bitch bitch bitch....lol fanboys.

Yeah, and by the coaches in particular, heard lot about this being the "best or one of the best RB rooms in the country." So what changed? Who is responsible? I happen to think we have 3 really good backs but our O-line hasn't given them much to run through.

Yeah, and by the coaches in particular, heard lot about this being the "best or one of the best RB rooms in the country." So what changed? Who is responsible? I happen to think we have 3 really good backs but our O-line hasn't given them much to run through.
Fire the OC, the RB , OL coach and the HC....send all players packing to the portal...WE DESERVE BETTER

Yep...over the past years, we've heard and read how we have the best room of TEs, best group of DEs, best group of LBs etc etc. Thats all good.. but for once I'd like to read that we have the best OL in the Big Ten.

So if 4-0 PSU could have flipped the stats and passing yards were rushing and rushing were passing....would everyone be happy? Then all the experts here could be continuing their pre season abuse of Clifford.
Coaches, QB, line, RB....4-0 but bitch bitch bitch....lol fanboys.
Why do you read these posts?

Reactions: TheGLOV and psualt
Didn’t know Cain got hurt. Lee fumbled in both auburn and Wisconsin the rode then pines. He’s got to stop fumbling. But I like his running and picked him surprise player of the year

Reactions: TheGLOV
Anyway you look at it, TB not a strength right now. Cain is all elite player if he’s healthy. Lee very promising if he can learn to hold the ball. Lovett a solid back.

Reactions: palmettolion
Yep...over the past years, we've heard and read how we have the best room of TEs, best group of DEs, best group of LBs etc etc. Thats all good.. but for once I'd like to read that we have the best OL in the Big Ten.
Oh I have heard plenty of Franklin saying " oline will be a strength of the team" and " first big 10 looking o line we have had" only to be underwhelmed. I do think he has been right about our TE room

Oh I have heard plenty of Franklin saying " oline will be a strength of the team" and " first big 10 looking o line we have had" only to be underwhelmed. I do think he has been right about our TE room
Why is the OL defined by rushing yards (which is construed to be a negative).....and not pass pro, which is clearly a positive?

Reactions: lazydave841
Phil actually mentioned that JF said the run game needs to improve to provide better balance. Maybe some of you saw coach say that. That appears to be more why Phil was pointing it out today. It assumes we run into teams who can handle our passing game. Matt Millen was very critical of our OL if you saw the Nova game. Phil is suggesting not having home run type RB allows DEF to take more risks attacking us.

Phil actually mentioned that JF said the run game needs to improve to provide better balance. Maybe some of you saw coach say that. That appears to be more why Phil was pointing it out today. It assumes we run into teams who can handle our passing game. Matt Millen was very critical of our OL if you saw the Nova game. Phil is suggesting not having home run type RB allows DEF to take more risks attacking us.
Thanks. CJF also said we’ve been pass happy because that is how defenses have been playing us

Reactions: marshall23

Funny I never expect much from Phill and Jeb. The same 2 ding dongs that 8 weeks ago praised the virtues of the deep running back room...

Lol. How the wind changes direction when it blows!

Thanks. CJF also said we’ve been pass happy because that is how defenses have been playing us
I mentioned this in an earlier post. In my generation the mantra was "impose your will on the defense." The spread and its many progeny has changed that to "take what the defense gives you." The numbers seem to dictate where the ball goes and what method.

Reactions: Obliviax
I mentioned this in an earlier post. In my generation the mantra was "impose your will on the defense." The spread and its many progeny has changed that to "take what the defense gives you." The numbers seem to dictate where the ball goes and what method.
Agree. But you can only do that if you are balanced. We are good in all aspects on offense. Let’s hope that holds

Agree. But you can only do that if you are balanced. We are good in all aspects on offense. Let’s hope that holds
Right now, I'm not overly concerned with this. You play to win the game. This is far from a team that is going to dominate. I'm more concerned that our early season "big" wins are shrinking. One game at a time. Way too many posts begin with Iowa, OSU etc. I certainly hope the team doesn't think that way.

JVP always said the OL is three last unit to figure it out as season progresses. I'm willing to bet the running game is very good tonight
If you've ever spoken to someone who tries to install a running game for an all star contest....they'll tell you that the run lags far behind the pass......and O behind D. Only time will tell if this is an issue of how defenses are playing PSU, lack of talent or normal progression of skills.

I mean what does Millen know??? Maybe Marshall will let us know which NFL team he was a GM at???

Cain hurt changes some part of the game plan

Reactions: ram2020
I suggest that you watch the For The Bloggy guys film breakdown of whats going wrong on running plays. The issue is almost always missed assignments by the line and missed blocks by the tight ends. Its very enlightening.

Reactions: lazydave841
I suggest that you watch the For The Bloggy guys film breakdown of whats going wrong on running plays. The issue is almost always missed assignments by the line and missed blocks by the tight ends. Its very enlightening.
Thank you. We aren't being blown up. One guy doesn't execute and it's the difference in 5+ on almost every rush.

We have been spoiled by Barkley, Miles and Brown. Backs don't have explosiveness and quickness like they did. Lee tonight had a big run but doesn't have break away speed to take it to the house. Lovett looks closest to being a quick and speed back. OL excellent in pass protection, but not as consistent in run game in opening holes, esp. in short yardage situations.

None of them have the ability to make people miss but damn…it’s be nice if a TE could freaking block.

Reactions: MoyerJones
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT