ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State QB Ta'Quan Roberson enters Transfer Portal

Last edited:
So I guess that he didn't come to PSU for its academics; that's the big shock to me.
what football player (really) comes to PSU for the academics? Wouldn't you be smarter to go play for Duke or NW? IMHO, it is a mix. You want to go to. a good school but to maximize your chance for the real payday: the NFL. When the NFL option is toast, for all intents and purposes, time to go to plan B.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
No surprise. Wish him luck wherever he goes, but no real reason for him to stick around if he wants to play.

what football player (really) comes to PSU for the academics? Wouldn't you be smarter to go play for Duke or NW? IMHO, it is a mix. You want to go to. a good school but to maximize your chance for the real payday: the NFL. When the NFL option is toast, for all intents and purposes, time to go to plan B.
I know, but it's just another example of what a joke the term "student-athlete" has become. That's why I could care less about stuff like graduation rates and the like. Major D-1 college football has nothing to do with academics anymore, and the schools that avoid the pretenses, except for a few, seem to do the best.

I'd be fine with treating the football players are employees of the university and pay them a salary, and if they want to attend some classes, then fine. That's basically what's become anyway.

I know, but it's just another example of what a joke the term "student-athlete" has become. That's why I could care less about stuff like graduation rates and the like. Major D-1 college football has nothing to do with academics anymore, and the schools that avoid the pretenses, except for a few, seem to do the best.

I'd be fine with treating the football players are employees of the university and pay them a salary, and if they want to attend some classes, then fine. That's basically what's become anyway.
Fair enough.....but when you pay players a salary, the laws change drastically. They are employees and subject labor laws.

But overall, I agree with you. PSU still plays the student-athlete game whereas the name schools (AL, LSU, tOSU, GA....) don't.

Or a player with NFL dreams and lukewarm academic dreams could play minor league football - if it existed.

Reactions: bison13
Or a player with NFL dreams and lukewarm academic dreams could play minor league football - if it existed.
Agreed....canada or indoor...but the path to the NFL from these is hardly well worn. The NFL tried something with the euro league. perhaps some of the newer league startups, like the XFL, should approach the NFL to be the NFLs, NBA D-Leauge equivalent.

I hope more fans than just me remember the humility and toughness this kid showed answering media questions after his complete failure in front of a national audience that night in IOWA. He spoke eloquently, honestly, made no attempt to pass blame, showed nothing but humility. Many adults and people in higher positions, such as his coach, have handled failure without a fraction of the grace this kid showed. I think Roberson will be a success wherever he goes in life and I wish him well.

I hope more fans than just me remember the humility and toughness this kid showed answering media questions after his complete failure in front of a national audience that night in IOWA. He spoke eloquently, honestly, made no attempt to pass blame, showed nothing but humility. Many adults and people in higher positions, such as his coach, have handled failure without a fraction of the grace this kid showed. I think Roberson will be a success wherever he goes in life and I wish him well.
Yes indeed. He seemed like a great young man and handled it well. That was a very long interview for that situation and he stood there and responded with grace. Hope he becomes the next Will Levis and is very successful where ever he lands.

Agree. People upset Cliff coming back, people happy that Roberson leaving - I think we all agree that performance is what matters. We may be angry but the blame is squarely on two people, CJF and MY. Roberson was nowhere near ready to line-up under center. He apparently did everything right for years. Who is to blame, really?

Reactions: crm114psu
Agree. People upset Cliff coming back, people happy that Roberson leaving - I think we all agree that performance is what matters. We may be angry but the blame is squarely on two people, CJF and MY. Roberson was nowhere near ready to line-up under center. He apparently did everything right for years. Who is to blame, really?
I agree, Franklin and Yurcich are 80% to blame and Roberson is 20% to blame for the Quarterback failure in the Iowa game. Franklin and Yurcich should have known that Roberson was nowhere near ready to compete at a Big Ten level, and should have substituted Veilleux into the game when it became clear to everyone that Roberson was not able to compete. Roberson shoulders the blame because of the lack of communication with his offensive line and the fact that he graded out at an "F" for his performance.

With all due respect, I hope that isn't what you took from my post. I'm uninterested in blaming anyone for that, just took a lot of courage and humility for a young man to fail like that and answer those questions. I was proud he was a penn state player regardless of what happened on the field

Fair enough.....but when you pay players a salary, the laws change drastically. They are employees and subject labor laws.

But overall, I agree with you. PSU still plays the student-athlete game whereas the name schools (AL, LSU, tOSU, GA....) don't.
"We ain't come here to play school, "Cardale Jones, THE Ohio State "University".

With all due respect, I hope that isn't what you took from my post. I'm uninterested in blaming anyone for that, just took a lot of courage and humility for a young man to fail like that and answer those questions. I was proud he was a penn state player regardless of what happened on the field
You should know by now that any post, regardless of how innocuous, is an open invitation for some to criticize Franklin and/or other coaches. Why we had one “expert” proclaim that Franklin should have benched Roberson who had 2 plus years at PSU “when it became clear he was not able to compete” and replace him with Viilleux who would have been playing in the 6th game of his true freshman year after not playing at all his senior year in high school on the road at a very hostile environment: Iowa. This “insight” of course was not based on watching any practices, but of course that’s irrelevant.

You should know by now that any post, regardless of how innocuous, is an open invitation for some to criticize Franklin and/or other coaches. Why we had one “expert” proclaim that Franklin should have benched Roberson who had 2 plus years at PSU “when it became clear he was not able to compete” and replace him with Viilleux who would have been playing in the 6th game of his true freshman year after not playing at all his senior year in high school on the road at a very hostile environment: Iowa. This “insight” of course was not based on watching any practices, but of course that’s irrelevant.
I have heard that as well and think the same as you. Where I may differ though is the package of plays that Roberson seemed to be running. It seems like he was trying to run the exact package that Clifford was running. That is what worried me. The back up QB during game week needs to run a reduced package of about 10-12 plays that feature quick hitting runs and passes, and then is filled with play action passes.

No matter what he showed in practice it was obvious that day that he was in WAY over his head with the regular offensive game plan.

If Clifford would have been out more than that game then you give him more of the play book to work from during the week.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
"We ain't come here to play school, "Cardale Jones, THE Ohio State "University".
I always say that there are "student/athletes" and "athlete/students". I also have to say that the JS issues still haunt us today as we have a higher bar as a result of that mess. We have no mulligan to count on. tOSU has been caught cutting corners several times.

Did you watch the same Penn State / Iowa game this past October that I did? Roberson was 7/21 for 34 yards, 2 interceptions, QBR rating of 23, 27 rushing yards, and 9 false starts. I'm not an expert, but I know when I see a bad performance and a player who was not ready to compete.

The next week Franklin chose to play Clifford, who was at 50%. Roberson's performance was so bad that Franklin would rather play his starting quarterback who was at 50%. Roberson did not play another snap the rest of the season. I think Franklin knows he screwed up, so why can't you acknowledge that Franklin screwed up?

I have heard that as well and think the same as you. Where I may differ though is the package of plays that Roberson seemed to be running. It seems like he was trying to run the exact package that Clifford was running. That is what worried me. The back up QB during game week needs to run a reduced package of about 10-12 plays that feature quick hitting runs and passes, and then is filled with play action passes.

No matter what he showed in practice it was obvious that day that he was in WAY over his head with the regular offensive game plan.

If Clifford would have been out more than that game then you give him more of the play book to work from during the week.

So let's take an offense that we should assume had no limitations on the game plan that Saturday and yielded only 17 points when TRob came in and cut that back significantly and only run a sub set of the total package which we think TRob could handle. Do you really think that would have made a difference in the scoring??? TFrank did a nice job dissecting TRob's performance on the BWI Utube channel. The real issue was TRob's basic understanding of the offense and where to go with the ball. We weren't running anything super complex.

The coaching staff should have had him under center from the get go…..he had no chance in the shotgun with that crowd noise.

So let's take an offense that we should assume had no limitations on the game plan that Saturday and yielded only 17 points when TRob came in and cut that back significantly and only run a sub set of the total package which we think TRob could handle. Do you really think that would have made a difference in the scoring??? TFrank did a nice job dissecting TRob's performance on the BWI Utube channel. The real issue was TRob's basic understanding of the offense and where to go with the ball. We weren't running anything super complex.
Yes I do. He was obviously not one bit comfortable and kept screwing up the snap. That game was gonna be a field position game and we kept backing ourselves up. A few more 1st downs here or there or maybe a second fb changes the outcome IMO.

Yes I do. He was obviously not one bit comfortable and kept screwing up the snap. That game was gonna be a field position game and we kept backing ourselves up. A few more 1st downs here or there or maybe a second fb changes the outcome IMO.
Well, actually it wasn’t TR that screwed it up, it was the center. The whole line jumped and he never snapped the ball.....said he couldn’t hear. If the center can’t hear in that loud noise they should have gone to a silent snap. Even the announcers saying that.

So yes TR should have called that in the huddle but as a backup thrown in a tough situation, the coaches should have called a timeout to make that change and calm down the kid.

Well, actually it wasn’t TR that screwed it up, it was the center. The whole line jumped and he never snapped the ball.....said he couldn’t hear. If the center can’t hear in that loud noise they should have gone to a silent snap. Even the announcers saying that.

So yes TR should have called that in the huddle but as a backup thrown in a tough situation, the coaches should have called a timeout to make that change and calm down the kid.
Agreed 100% except for the blame part. He is the ability. Have some balls and take over the damn team if your number is called. He looked like a scared little kid out there. I just also think that a back up doesn’t have the time during the week to run the full playbook. Get him a group of plays and try to hang on. That’s all we had to do. We simply just hang in and play field position we win.

They also should have called a timeout. And went to a silent snap.
yep,another coaching gaff. Franklin will have write that on his card. After 5 false starts I should go to a silent snap count(see IOWA 2021). Franklin has a hard time thinking on his feet.

yep,another coaching gaff. Franklin will have write that on his card. After 5 false starts I should go to a silent snap count(see IOWA 2021). Franklin has a hard time thinking on his feet.
For a guy who can't think "on his feet" he sure knows how to count $$$$. It's incredible that a coach who has several individuals that are better suited and more capable pointing out and documenting his failures (on one measly message board).... can haul down 10 million per year while the self appointed critics toil for a few dollars less. In my book, that makes James Franklin a genius.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT