ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Proud

Callthestall

Mar 14, 2016
I have been a life long Penn State fan ever since my dad got a Joe Paterno autograph for me at a coaches clinic in 1970. This includes driving a Toyota Celica Hatchback with 3 friends, 1200 miles to New Orleans to see the Georgia Sugar Bowl.
As much as of a fan I have been, I never had any ties to the college until now.
My daughter just got accepted and plans to attend the Penn State Law School.
WE ARE
BROKE:)

Where are you from? A beer on me at a dual next season. congrats.
I live in Roseto, Bangor Class of 1979. My Daughter Graduated from Bangor 2013.
I've met you a few times, once in Dietzi's if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: smalls103
I live in Roseto, Bangor Class of 1979. My Daughter Graduated from Bangor 2013, West Chester 2017.
I've met you a few times, once in Dietzi's if I remember correctly.
Congratulations! I had a tan '77 Celica hatchback with a 5-speed manual transmission. Great car! I packed everything I owned into and on it, including my 10-speed bike, when I moved to San Diego from Oregon back in 1987. That was many pounds and a full head of hair ago.

I'm going out tomorrow with my daughter to look at some housing options that she found online. She's hoping to find a single/studio. I have zero knowledge of State College except where the sports complexes, creamery and some of the old bars are downtown. Any suggestions on housing for my daughter.
Thanks

I'm going out tomorrow with my daughter to look at some housing options that she found online. She's hoping to find a single/studio. I have zero knowledge of State College except where the sports complexes, creamery and some of the old bars are downtown. Any suggestions on housing for my daughter.
Thanks

Where is she planning on looking?

Your question is hard to answer for a Grad Student. Grad Students have access to apartments that are clean and quiet and they don't rent to undergrads in order to keep them clean and quiet.

In town vs out of town.

In town allows much easier access to the many opportunities taking place on campus and there are many. Think music, arts, poetry, lectures, etc and with the size of Penn State the volume will boggle you. You are also right down town and State College is a fun college town. Can't go wrong except for the price.

Out of town will require some from of transportation to get to campus such as car, bike, bus. Staying late is problematic, especially in the winter. Her friends will want to go into town and that can be a problem getting back. However, prices are generally 50% less than in town and many are very nice and have extras like gym's, hot tubs, pools, etc. But, it not really much of a college feel.

My suggestion is that you two look at a couple of graduate apartments in town and a few apartments out North Atherton to get a sense of the value, distance, convenience, etc. Early next week ask if the University if any Graduate Housing is available for Fall Semester. If so, this will give her an opportunity to become familiar with campus and town before signing any lease. Also, I suspect that the Law School maintains a facebook page for each of the classes and that is how she may find a roommate to share expenses. It is also a good way to start making friends.

Good luck.

Your question is hard to answer for a Grad Student. Grad Students have access to apartments that are clean and quiet and they don't rent to undergrads in order to keep them clean and quiet.

In town vs out of town.

In town allows much easier access to the many opportunities taking place on campus and there are many. Think music, arts, poetry, lectures, etc and with the size of Penn State the volume will boggle you. You are also right down town and State College is a fun college town. Can't go wrong except for the price.

Out of town will require some from of transportation to get to campus such as car, bike, bus. Staying late is problematic, especially in the winter. Her friends will want to go into town and that can be a problem getting back. However, prices are generally 50% less than in town and many are very nice and have extras like gym's, hot tubs, pools, etc. But, it not really much of a college feel.

My suggestion is that you two look at a couple of graduate apartments in town and a few apartments out North Atherton to get a sense of the value, distance, convenience, etc. Early next week ask if the University if any Graduate Housing is available for Fall Semester. If so, this will give her an opportunity to become familiar with campus and town before signing any lease. Also, I suspect that the Law School maintains a facebook page for each of the classes and that is how she may find a roommate to share expenses. It is also a good way to start making friends.

Good luck.
Thank you

Reactions: Agoodnap
For the law school, easiest entry is off Fox Hollow and down Park Ave. >>> so look at huge sets of apartments & rented condos along Toftrees Ave. It’s almost all new stuff and Real Estate agents consider it “overbuilt” in the Covid age. Rents are down! There is even a cinder path that leads up through the back of the Arboretum property for those inclined to walk to campus.

Moving my daughter out of The View apartments today. She did her sophomore year here and seemed to like it. Would park at Beaver Stadium during the days and walk from there. With the PSU parking pass you can park at Beaver during the day and any campus parking in the evenings. A quick jump onto Fox Hollow Rd made the commute very easy. Will be moving to Hershey for clinical this fall.

Reactions: Callthestall
Honestly, I would stay clear of apartment complexes if at all possible. There are still plenty of subdivided original homes and what not in the area, are typically cheaper, have more character, and will support a grad students need for quiet more readily than some of the larger complexes. One exception is the housing on West campus that Penn State offers—that’s quiet, and a short wall to Rec Hall.

Here's where I would look for someone in a professional graduate program:
- If she wants to live close to campus: on or behind Park Ave; the quieter areas of downtown (downhill from Beaver Ave.); west campus/downtown west of Atherton. Maybe campus graduate housing.
- If she prefers further out: Toftrees or Park Forest.

I would avoid the party areas: the many obvious party apartment complexes (regardless of proximity to campus), and the immediate downtown blocks between College/Beaver and Atherton/University Drive.

Don't forget to ask about parking fees at her residence. (Which is another really good reason to avoid the immediate downtown area.)

If she lives beyond walking/biking range, be aware that commuter student parking is at Beaver Stadium -- a good hike to the law school, especially in winter. That might be OK with her, as long as she's informed. CATA bus coverage is extensive, assuming the bus schedule suits her schedule.

Best of luck!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT