ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State only beat one team with a winning record

itsofficial101

Oct 11, 2017
At least according to what I heard on ESPN earlier today as I was flipping thru the channels. Well, we know that's incorrect and in fact we've only beat one team that currently has a losing record (thanks Pitt).

Iowa is 4-2 with both losses a touchdown or less to ranked opponents. Akron is 4-3 and alone at the top of their MAC division. Georgia St actually is 3-2. Even Indiana at 3-3 has only lost to #2, #6, and an overtime loss to ranked Michigan while being the only team to beat 5-1 Virginia which has some ok wins themselves. Northwestern is a bit disappointing at 3-3 but 2 of those losses are to the current #2 and #5.

I'm not trying to claim we had a world beater schedule but we handled the teams on our schedule with only Iowa making it competitive. I also don't think that these teams are quite the patsies that ESPN would like to you to believe. Now we play 3 straight ranked opponents, 2 away including #6. So I don't really know how they can continue to push their weak schedule agenda. Who else is playing ranked teams the next 3 weeks in a row?

At least according to what I heard on ESPN earlier today as I was flipping thru the channels. Well, we know that's incorrect and in fact we've only beat one team that currently has a losing record (thanks Pitt).

Iowa is 4-2 with both losses a touchdown or less to ranked opponents. Akron is 4-3 and alone at the top of their MAC division. Georgia St actually is 3-2. Even Indiana at 3-3 has only lost to #2, #6, and an overtime loss to ranked Michigan while being the only team to beat 5-1 Virginia which has some ok wins themselves. Northwestern is a bit disappointing at 3-3 but 2 of those losses are to the current #2 and #5.

I'm not trying to claim we had a world beater schedule but we handled the teams on our schedule with only Iowa making it competitive. I also don't think that these teams are quite the patsies that ESPN would like to you to believe. Now we play 3 straight ranked opponents, 2 away including #6. So I don't really know how they can continue to push their weak schedule agenda. Who else is playing ranked teams the next 3 weeks in a row?
Ohio State has beaten:

Indiana
Army
UNLV
Rutgers
Maryland
Nebraska

Our Iowa win is more impressive than anything Ohio State has accomplished, especially when you consider Iowa's history of knocking off top 5 teams at Kinnick.

All the talk is fun, PSU finds out how they stand over the next 3 weeks.

Lets face it. Our schedule has not been demanding, but if we win the next three we are a legitimate national title contender. I just don't see that happening. Our offensive line is simply not good enough to get us through this gauntlet without a loss. Time will tell.

Not sure Alabama had beaten many good teams. How do they compare? This will all come down to the final week and playoffs.

The combined record of PSU's opponents is 21-17. Now, I don't have the composite records of the other teams in the top 5, but I'm willing to gamble it's better than anyone not named TCU.

The schedule has set PSU up perfectly. The first three were scrimmages. The next three have been competitive B1G teams with two on the road. Take a bye week and now play the three best teams on the schedule with two of them on the road. These next three are the season. The final three are not much better than the first three opponents. They are ready and rested.

Reactions: Bertway0
The schedule has set PSU up perfectly. The first three were scrimmages. The next three have been competitive B1G teams with two on the road. Take a bye week and now play the three best teams on the schedule with two of them on the road. These next three are the season. The final three are not much better than the first three opponents. They are ready and rested.

This is actually the better of the alternatives for us: Franklin pulled a fast one two seasons ago and got the open week into the schedule, they had us actually set up far worse originally. This is the 5th time since our joining this conference that they scheduled us to play Michigan and Ohio State back to back. More good news: We only play Michigan this week, rather than both Michigan and Ohio State at the same time, as all the doom and gloomers are claiming.

Lets face it. Our schedule has not been demanding, but if we win the next three we are a legitimate national title contender. I just don't see that happening. Our offensive line is simply not good enough to get us through this gauntlet without a loss. Time will tell.
I'm with you Fair, by the way I'm on the far right..:p
157055-004-0A7517BC.jpg

I don't consider it a gauntlet: Michigan is playing with a backup qb and had 57 yards passing last week. We play them next, rather than an all star team consisting of Michigan, Ohio State, and Michigan State. If we had to do that, I'd call it a gauntlet. Michigan State was blown off their own field by Notre Dame, and needed to hang on to beat sorry Minnesota last night, but we play them in 3 weeks, so no concern right now on that front.

If you took Bama's name off their schedule and replaced it with any other team, no way they'd be #1. Georgia beat ND by what 1 point and has played garbage the rest of their schedule. TCU has played the toughest schedule by far and are pretty darn impressive. Wisconsin has played nothing and can walk to the CCG thanks to Barry shuffling all the difficult teams to the east, and OSU is flawed and everyone's talking about how great they are again but they're the same team that got smoked by OU. All in all outside of TCU no one has played very difficult schedules and every team is flawed.

If you took Bama's name off their schedule and replaced it with any other team, no way they'd be #1. Georgia beat ND by what 1 point and has played garbage the rest of their schedule. TCU has played the toughest schedule by far and are pretty darn impressive. Wisconsin has played nothing and can walk to the CCG thanks to Barry shuffling all the difficult teams to the east, and OSU is flawed and everyone's talking about how great they are again but they're the same team that got smoked by OU. All in all outside of TCU no one has played very difficult schedules and every team is flawed.
We'll see how it shakes out, but OSU is not the same team that lost to OU.

Seriously Step. I mean, I don't even know what to say. :confused: Sometimes you're are one really weird dude, which is probably why I like you.;)
He kind of looks like a wizard. Wait a second...Trace McSorley is the wizard, and step.eng....COULD BE HIS GRANDFATHER?

It's just hard to imagine exponential progress being made during the off week for the offensive line. At times, they have looked worse than last yr. How we can survive the next 3 weeks is hard to foresee simply without having one alpha on that line, one guy that can bury the guy across from him

Reactions: fairgambit
That night game in Iowa City would have been interesting if it were OSU or Wisky. I’m confident that Wisky wouldn’t have escaped and OSU probably would have lost also.

Not sure Alabama had beaten many good teams. How do they compare? This will all come down to the final week and playoffs.

That's the beauty of bama. They never get tested. We will be the next 2 maybe 3 weeks. It good to have competition. It's what I liked about last year... each game was different and we found a way to win from minny on

tOSU has to take on one of the best teams in college football in 2 weeks. I'll give kudos to them if they pull it off. ;-)

We'll..., if they pull it off AND it's not the like BS win they had a few years ago with the non-interception that was unreviewable bc there was no replay--but the teams weren't advised of that when the officials knew--...and the official charged with watching the play clock and the PK being the only ones not watching the play clock. So if they actually beat the team straight up and without unfair handouts then they'll deserve kudos. They'll ave beaten a great team.

I don't consider it a gauntlet: Michigan is playing with a backup qb and had 57 yards passing last week. We play them next, rather than an all star team consisting of Michigan, Ohio State, and Michigan State. If we had to do that, I'd call it a gauntlet. Michigan State was blown off their own field by Notre Dame, and needed to hang on to beat sorry Minnesota last night, but we play them in 3 weeks, so no concern right now on that front.
It's a gauntlett because of the collective pounding that will take place on an offensive line that is average at best. They may get us by Michigan, but that effort will take its toll and result in an OSU loss. The kicking game is also an obvious issue.

It's a gauntlett because of the collective pounding that will take place on an offensive line that is average at best. They may get us by Michigan, but that effort will take its toll and result in an OSU loss. The kicking game is also an obvious issue.
PART of the kicking game. We have one of the best punters in the nation and a very, very very good coverage team.

Reactions: Madsol
PART of the kicking game. We have one of the best punters in the nation and a very, very very good coverage team.
The punting is 1st rate, but if we have to make a 40 yard field goal to win a game with 10 seconds left, I don't like our chances.

If we win the next two and Alabama somehow gets upset, PSU is the runaway #1 and ESPN is checkmated

Agree 100%. I love the way our schedule sets us up for success. Now Ohio State may think they have had a great schedule but not true. Not conducive to a getting to be more competitive. They played one good team and got stomped at home to boot. Then played a bunch of cupcakes. Now they have a week off to watch their highlight reel against nobody. They have no good win on the road to build on like our Iowa game.

The punting is 1st rate, but if we have to make a 40 yard field goal to win a game with 10 seconds left, I don't like our chances.
Unless they've fixed the problem. I think part of the issue was overall timing, and the other part of the problem was an injury to the right side of the blocking formation. Perhaps the off week could help also.

I think the schedule was a bit of a mixed bag. The OOC schedule was really weak, but it allowed us time to get better and tune things up before conference play. Pitt being worse than expected is out of our control, and the schedule was likely intentionally light because we expected to still be feeling the sanctions when the schedule was made. But getting UM, OSU and MSU back to back is rough. Also we would have been fortunate to get OSU early in conference play this season. They are breaking in a new OC, much like us with JoMo last season. I don't think it's any coincidence that they struggled a bit offensively early, and are now finding their groove (albeit against pretty weak teams). PSU essentially did the same last year, losing to Pitt and UM, and struggling against Minnesota until things clicked. I think we are going to face an OSU team where things under Kevin Wilson are starting to click and they are going to be a lot tougher in 2 weeks than they would have been earlier.

We'll see how it shakes out, but OSU is not the same team that lost to OU.
True, but what exactly do you learn from beating Army, UNLV, Rutgers, Maryland and Nebraska? Maryland with its 3rd string QB and Nebraska is imploding with dead man walking for a coach.

I have no idea what is going to happen in a few weeks, will no more after PSU and Michigan this weekend.

I always chuckle when a talking head references that stat mid-season....as if LOSING to Penn State had nothing to do with that record. What would their records be if they had all beaten Penn State?

It doesn't matter who you've played up until now. You still have to go through Michigan, OSU and MSU to accomplish your goals. No different than any other season. See you on Saturday ....

It doesn't matter who you've played up until now. You still have to go through Michigan, OSU and MSU to accomplish your goals. No different than any other season. See you on Saturday ....
No, we just have to go through Michigan. Michigan only. You play games, one at a time. We play you, and you play us. That's it.

The combined record of PSU's opponents is 21-17. Now, I don't have the composite records of the other teams in the top 5, but I'm willing to gamble it's better than anyone not named TCU.
The W-L records of the teams Alabama has beaten is 24-20. They beat Texas A&M (5-2), Mississippi (3-3), Vanderbilt (3-4), Colorado State (5-2), Fresno State (4-2), Florida State (2-3) and Arkansas (2-4).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT