ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Penn State Hoops defeats Ohio State to win third game in a row

Ok then, can you please tell me what the spread would be for this hypothetical game tomorrow?

Let's look at Penn State's last two games...

Saturday - At Minnesota - Penn St went off as 7 point favorites
Thursday - At Ohio St - Penn State went off as 3 point underdogs

What do you think that tells you the spread would approximately be if Minnesota played Ohio State on a neutral court tomorrow? We could point to Ohio State's loss last night as needing an adjustment by another point or so, but then we should also be looking at Minnesota's 3 losses since that line was posted on Saturday (though none of the 3 really moved the needle on their rating).

And "fans" would be about the worst people to talk to if you're trying to set a line.
I'm not a bookie or oddsmaker like you. I only look at results on the court.

You keep bringing up Minnesota - OSU on a neutral court ignoring THE FACT that Minny beat OSU in Columbus a few weeks back when OSU had Key - one of two star players on their team.

Last edited:
Yet they were considered to be one of the best Big 10 teams in the preseason. They actually crushed Northwestern on the road in January, but since then I don't know whether they've won a game. Something obviously happened to that team after they lost at home to Minnesota.
Go over to their Eleven Warriors site and many will tell you that their HC - Holtmann - has lost control of that team. Even in timeouts - huddles he has to tell them to pay attention as many ignore him and look at other things. They're really and in a free fall right now.

I also read that Holtmann has an insane $20 million buyout or else he'd be let go at the end of this year

You keep bringing up Minnesota - OSU on a neutral court ignoring THE FACT that Minny beat OSU in Columbus a few weeks back when OSU had Key one of two star players on their team.
Looking at one data point when we have a season's worth of data is a bad idea to compare teams. We've beaten Illinois twice already, but they'd be favored over us tomorrow (and rightfully so).

When people are only looking at the "results on the court" they get fooled into things like thinking that Ohio State is some god-awful team...as I said last night, they'd be a middle of the pack ACC team right now, but they're playing in a pretty stacked Big Ten and have lost a lot of close games (and are the "unluckiest" team in the country according to Pomeroy's numbers). They still have a lot of talent and are much better than their actual record.

Last edited:
Go over to their Eleven Warriors site and many will tell you that their HC - Holtmann - has lost control of that team. Even in timeouts - huddles he has to tell them to pay attention as many ignore him and look at other things. They're really and in a free fall right now.
Much like you could have read here the last several years about how Franklin has lost control of our football team, isn't engaged or active enough on the sidelines, stands there with his arms crossed...yet he wins the Rose Bowl, and suddenly those complaints disappear (at least until our next rough patch).

Looking at one data point when we have a season's worth of data is a bad idea to compare teams. We've beaten Illinois twice already, but they'd be favored over us tomorrow (and rightfully so).

When people are only looking at the "results on the court" they get fooled into things like thinking that Ohio State is some god-awful team...as I said last night, they'd be a middle of the pack ACC team right now, but they're playing in a pretty stacked Big Ten and have lost a lot of close games (and are the "unluckiest" team in the country according to Pomeroy's numbers). They still have a lot of talent and are much better than their actual record.
They've lost 9 in a row and 14 of their last 15. They've been blown out recently by Purdue (twice}, Iowa, MSU, and Indy. Their closest - most recent - losses have been 3 points to Nebraska and the 4-point loss to PSU. No matter how you try to spin this,,,,,,OSU SUCKS. The results speak for themselves

Reactions: The Spin Meister

You keep bringing up Minnesota - OSU on a neutral court ignoring THE FACT that Minny beat OSU in Columbus a few weeks back when OSU had Key one of two star players on their team.
Who cares at this point. A road win in the Big Ten is a good win. It is not like we beat a Div 3 team at home. OSU is better than Minny. Minny is horrible at this point. They can't keep a road game within 20. Thank God we pulled it out vs them there as they are not good at home either.

As for Minny beating OSU, yes, but that was like 6 weeks ago and OSU had a clean block at the rim with 2 seconds left that was called a foul. That was the difference in the game. OSU definitely beats Minny on a neutral court now.

They've lost 9 in a row and 14 of their last 15. They've been blown out recently by Purdue (twice}, Iowa, MSU, and Indy. Their closest - most recent - losses have been 3 points to Nebraska and the 4-point loss to PSU. No matter how you try to spin this,,,,,,OSU SUCKS. The results speak for themselves
So is your point PSU sucks because we only won by 4? So are you expecting blowout losses in our final 3 games?

So is your point PSU sucks because we only won by 4? So are you expecting blowout losses in our final 3 games?
Not saying PSU sucks at all. You are correct - any road win in the B1G is huge. What I am saying is that OSU sucks ..... PSU is a much better team than OSU.....they proved it on the road yesterday. Some are trying to make OSU to be a team with decent talent which is bogus. PSU could be an NCAA tournament team - OSU SUCKS - period

Not saying PSU sucks at all. You are correct - any road win in the B1G is huge. What I am saying is that OSU sucks ..... PSU is a much better team than OSU.....they proved it on the road yesterday. Some are trying to make OSU to be a team with decent talent which is bogus. PSU could be an NCAA tournament team - OSU SUCKS - period
I agree that OSU is not very good. Holtmann seems to have lost the team. Just call me Captain Obvious.

I think that OSU's current state has more to do with their mental state rather than talent state; I believe that a lot of their players now are mailing it in most games. I say this because until sometime in January, they were having a good season. Also, their best player is a freshman and maybe he's running out of gas. I still think that that team has a lot of ability, but it stopped translating on the court after that home loss to Minnesota.

Regardless of how good OSU is, any road win in the Big 10 is a good one. I admit that I did not believe that this team would win another road game, and posted as such many times. The fact that they now have won two more road games in less than a week is a job well done, and I'm glad that I was wrong.

I think that OSU's current state has more to do with their mental state rather than talent state; I believe that a lot of their players now are mailing it in most games. I say this because until sometime in January, they were having a good season. Also, their best player is a freshman and maybe he's running out of gas. I still think that that team has a lot of ability, but it stopped translating on the court after that home loss to Minnesota.

Regardless of how good OSU is, any road win in the Big 10 is a good one. I admit that I did not believe that this team would win another road game, and posted as such many times. The fact that they now have won two more road games in less than a week is a job well done, and I'm glad that I was wrong.
I think most OSU fans would agree with you 100%. Go to their Eleven Warriors site and almost everyone will tell you that Holtmann has lost this team. PSU is a much better team at this point and just might sneak into the NCAA Tournament and it will be well deserved

OSU is lousy, why is irrelevant. But the road win is huge for us. Happy for Shrews and the program. Really like Shrews and I bet the players love playing for him.

Reactions: bison13
OSU is lousy, why is irrelevant. But the road win is huge for us. Happy for Shrews and the program. Really like Shrews and I bet the players love playing for him.
I would trade OSU's roster for PSU's, yet PSU is having a significantly better season and appears to be peaking at the right time. Yes, OSU is lousy now, but I don't think that it's because of their talent.

Reactions: bison13
I would trade OSU's roster for PSU's, yet PSU is having a significantly better season and appears to be peaking at the right time. Yes, OSU is lousy now, but I don't think that it's because of their talent.
You said it, Holtmann lost the team. Sensabaugh is excellent but Pickett abused him on that 3pt play in crunch time to catapult us to the win.

You said it, Holtmann lost the team. Sensabaugh is excellent but Pickett abused him on that 3pt play in crunch time to catapult us to the win.
I thought that a lot of it last night for them wasn't effort as much as inexperience/low IQ plays (almost all at the defensive end). They tried going for steals and missing, leaving us 5-4 and getting an open 3...overaggressive in hedging ball screens where both guys went with the ball, and the screener was all alone...getting caught in bad switches and not being committed to their double teams on Pickett (a few times where they tentatively came to double him and he just picked up the open guy for easy looks), etc.

I also didn't love their rotation, as I don't get why Sensabaugh only went 18 minutes with no foul trouble when he's their best player right now, and Okpara only 12 minutes when he had a pretty clear matchup advantage inside.

To think Ohio State is awful is not understanding basketball. They’re not very good because of the conference they’re in. If they were in the SEC, there’s no way that they would’ve lost all of these games. The issue is that there’s no cupcakes in the big 10, even Minnesota, as bad as they are. Put Ohio State in about any other conference other than the big 12 and they’d be middle of the pack.

Reactions: Erial_Lion
Not sure about what "quad 1" means, but OSU is the worst team in the B1G right now and that includes Minnesota whose only B!G win was AT OSU a few weeks back. OSU basketball SUCKS and that's being kind.
Trouble is for getting to the playoffs Minnesota is a Quad 3 win, and Ohio State is a Quad 1 win. Quad 3 wins don't help much, only hurt you a lot if you lose them. Quad 1 wins help you quite a bit. All based on you schedule, who you play, who you beat, your adjusted offense and defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT