ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Penn State Hoops defeats Ohio State to win third game in a row

While 90% of our fanbase that posted here didn't give the team a chance...
Interesting ....

Interesting ....
the same 90% will complain if we lose at Nothwestern because they think every year is the same year from 25 years ago

at this point i think we can get in the tournament (ncaa) if we win all the remaining regular season games

we can possibly get in while losing to NW if we advance a few rounds in the btt. losing to Rutgers or Maryland probably keeps us out

Reactions: mmuncci
Could it be possible to just celebrate a win either our top player in foul trouble the whole game, have winning streak going, and a good shot at an invite without bitching and crying about how terrible everyone else is?

You guys ruin too many threads with your whining.

Reactions: indynittany
Could it be possible to just celebrate a win either our top player in foul trouble the whole game, have winning streak going, and good shot at an invite with bitching and crying about how terrible everyone else is?

You guys ruin too many threads with your whining

Could it be possible to just celebrate a win either our top player in foul trouble the whole game, have winning streak going, and a good shot at an invite without bitching and crying about how terrible everyone else is?

You guys ruin too many threads with your whining.
So claims the Spinster.... Lol

Interesting ....
Illinois was a good win
Beating Minnesota and Ohio State (even on the road) is still us beating the worst 2 teams in the Big Ten. Teams that can't sniff 500.

Yes... They are damn pathetic and it is well deserved. I got out of the moribund thread of self cutting without comment and watched the game without the pathological dreaded posts. I had a great time watching a great game for a change. How refreshing it was and will be....

not really
it was beating one of the worst teams
A quad 1 win as of today, though likely ends as a Q2…it’s a very big win.

Ohio St may be the second worst Big Ten team this year, but they’d be favored over half the ACC on a neutral court tomorrow. Speaks to the depth of the Big Ten (outside of Minnesota).

A quad 1 win as of today, though likely ends as a Q2…it’s a very big win.

Ohio St may be the second worst Big Ten team this year, but they’d be favored over half the ACC on a neutral court tomorrow. Speaks to the depth of the Big Ten (outside of Minnesota).
they have lost 9 straight games

it would have been a horrible loss

it is a win that doesn't move the needle

they have lost 9 straight games

it would have been a horrible loss

it is a win that doesn't move the needle
Wrong. It’s a quad one win that prob moves us over the cut line (or first team out) for now! MONSTER, GRITTY win that took GUTS!!! Defense won that game boy! Now let’s take down Rutgers and get back to .500 in conference! We control our destiny now!!!
#WEARE

Reactions: NC2017
Wrong. It’s a quad one win that prob moves us over the cut line (or first team out) for now! MONSTER, GRITTY win that took GUTS!!! Defense won that game boy! Now let’s take down Rutgers and get back to .500 in conference! We control our destiny now!!!
#WEARE
no. beating a team that won 3 games so far doesn't move you over the cut line

no. beating a team that won 3 games so far doesn't move you over the cut line
It certainly will have in some mock brackets, and likely helps our net by a few spots (Pomeroy went up 2 with the win tonight). As bad as Ohio State’s record is, they’ve still got a blowout over Northwestern on the road and wins over Iowa, Rutgers, and fellow-bubble team Texas Tech.

Winning as an underdog is always a good thing while on the bubble!

Reactions: bison13 and mmuncci
Interesting ....
I couldn't get here to post, but always felt that to win this game it would have to be because of our offense. We got the offense, and just enough defense to win. Now we need to pack the gym on Sunday night. Win 2 home games and 1 in the tournament and I think we can get to the NCAA tournament

Illinois was a good win
Beating Minnesota and Ohio State (even on the road) is still us beating the worst 2 teams in the Big Ten. Teams that can't sniff 500.
Games that we have lost too many times in the past. Ohio State has lost a lot, but just about everyone of those games have been very close. They beat Northwestern, Rutgers and I believe Iowa. Lost by 5 to NC, 2 to Purdue, 7 @ Maryland, 4 @ Rutgers, 3 to Nebraska, 6 to Illinois, 5 to Wisconsin and 6 to Northwestern. That is 8 games they lost by 7 points or less, so they are not a push over by any means, and still the reason they are a Quad 1 win.

Yes... They are damn pathetic and it is well deserved. I got out of the moribund thread of self cutting without comment and watched the game without the pathological dreaded posts. I had a great time watching a great game for a change. How refreshing it was and will be....
I was so happy to be a the game and see the team refuse to fall into their normal " let the opponents go on a big run!" I was glad to walk out of the Schottenstein with the win!

I rarely read game day threads, especially in football, because of the over the top negativity. But a negative times a negative only cancels negativity only in mathematics, not in sports of fandom.

Immediately posting a negative post after a big victory only amplifies the negativity. So you are fully creating much more of what you claim to decry.

And it is very negative look for you that you cannot grasp such a simple equation.

It keeps our NCAA tourney hopes alive, a loss would have almost certainly closed the door on the Dance. So by that metric it was a huge win that did move the needle.
losing would have ended our chances. winning it doesn't do anything if we don't go 2-1 or 3-0 from here on out. they aren't going to look at this win as a big one that puts us over the bubble

I rarely read game day threads, especially in football, because of the over the top negativity. But a negative times a negative only cancels negativity only in mathematics, not in sports of fandom.

Immediately posting a negative post after a big victory only amplifies the negativity. So you are fully creating much more of what you claim to decry.

And it is very negative look for you that you cannot grasp such a simple equation.
I blocked Rip a long time ago and therefore have not and will not read his post. He is the epitome of a bitter angry old man who lives and breathes negativity (and adds nothing to the discussion).

I blocked Rip a long time ago and therefore have not and will not read his post. He is the epitome of a bitter angry old man who lives and breathes negativity (and adds nothing to the discussion).
Same here. I almost opened his post to see what garbage he was spewing but didn't want to begin my Friday like that.

not really
it was beating one of the worst teams
It's a Quad 1 win against a more athletic team (though struggling) which was needed if this team has any opportunity to claw their way into the 1st Four. Of course they probably need to win two of remaining three and then one in the B1G tournament. Difficult task so we shall see. They certainly haven't quit.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
Think Lunardi’s intro to Bracketology today summed it up well…

We've reached the stage of the season when more teams seem to be playing their way out of the tournament than the other way around. Don't believe me? North Texas was climbing into consideration, but scored only 49 points in a loss at Charlotte. Former ACC leader Clemson was able to handle disappointing Syracuse, but not before losing four out of five. New Mexico started the year 14-0, but will be playing for its season on Saturday against San Diego St. And let's not forget fringe teams like Oregon (three straight losses), Utah (now four straight losses) and Vanderbilt, which put itself under consideration only to allow LSU to break a 14-game losing streak. Al Davis had it right. Want to make the NCAA tourney? "Just win, baby..."

Reactions: Online Persona
Think Lunardi’s intro to Bracketology today summed it up well…

We've reached the stage of the season when more teams seem to be playing their way out of the tournament than the other way around. Don't believe me? North Texas was climbing into consideration, but scored only 49 points in a loss at Charlotte. Former ACC leader Clemson was able to handle disappointing Syracuse, but not before losing four out of five. New Mexico started the year 14-0, but will be playing for its season on Saturday against San Diego St. And let's not forget fringe teams like Oregon (three straight losses), Utah (now four straight losses) and Vanderbilt, which put itself under consideration only to allow LSU to break a 14-game losing streak. Al Davis had it right. Want to make the NCAA tourney? "Just win, baby..."
Could be that how teams respond to the pressure determines who gets in. So far, I like how our team is responding,

Reactions: bison13
losing would have ended our chances. winning it doesn't do anything if we don't go 2-1 or 3-0 from here on out. they aren't going to look at this win as a big one that puts us over the bubble
No, this win does not get us over the bubble but we needed to have it. So it does do something, it keeps us alive. Like you said, we lose and we are out. Still need to take care of business. We don't need to go 3-0. 2-1 will work then probably need one win in BTT to get to the magical 20 wins.

Just like football, if we beat Illinois and Iowa, good and still in the playoff hunt but not in. We would still need to beat Mich and O$U. Lose to Illini and/or Iowa and no playoff.

First team out in Lunardi's bracket today...last team in the field in Palm's bracket. Big weekend ahead for us!

It does since it is on the road, and it is a quad 1 win.
Not sure about what "quad 1" means, but OSU is the worst team in the B1G right now and that includes Minnesota whose only B!G win was AT OSU a few weeks back. OSU basketball SUCKS and that's being kind.

Not sure about what "quad 1" means, but OSU is the worst team in the B1G right now and that includes Minnesota whose only B!G win was AT OSU a few weeks back. OSU basketball SUCKS and that's being kind.
It means that it's a high impact win that will be looked at very favorably by the committee...and for what it's worth, OSU would be favored by about 10-11 over Minnesota on a neutral court if they played tomorrow. Ohio State is the much better team at this point.

OSU doesn't lack talent. The players have not meshed as a cohesive unit. It happened and tanked their season. Glad PSU got the "W" on the road. Their head is above water and still tredding. They must go 2-1 on last three and get a win in B1G tourney to be selected.

It means that it's a high impact win that will be looked at very favorably by the committee...and for what it's worth, OSU would be favored by about 10-11 over Minnesota on a neutral court if they played tomorrow. Ohio State is the much better team at this point.
Seriously? OSU lost to Minny back in January at OSU and have now also lost home games at OSU to Minny, Northwestern, and now PSU. They've lost several games in a row (maybe a double digit number?) and can't beat anyone and you're saying that they'd be a 10 or 11 point favorite ? Maybe against a poor Columbus high school team. And keep in mind, their only legit big man - Zed Key - is now out (as of Wednesday) for the year - needs surgery. A 10 or 11 point favorite on a neutral court ? OK. They couldn't even beat Minny at OSU with Key

Last edited:
Seriously? OSU lost to Minny back in January at OSU and have now also lost home games at OSU to Minny, Northwestern, and now PSU. They've lost several games in a row (maybe a double digit number?) and can't beat anyone and you're saying that they'd be a 10 or 11 point favorite ? Maybe against a poor Columbus high school team. And keep in mind, their only legit big man - Zed Key - is now (as of Wednesday) is now out for the year - needs surgery. A 10 or 11 point favorite ? OK.
It’s true. Id have it at 11.5 without adjustments, but Key’s injury is worth about a point (maybe even 1.5 points).

It’s true. Id have it at 11.5 without adjustments, but Key’s injury is worth about a point.
I'm honestly starting to think you're serious. Good God, I hope not. Most OSU fand will tell you that this is their worst team - by far - since the Randy Ayers days over 30 years ago

Last edited:
I'm honestly starting to think your serious. Good God, I hope not. Most OSU fand will tell you that this is their worst team - by far - since the Randy Ayers days over 30 years ago
Ok then, can you please tell me what the spread would be for this hypothetical game tomorrow?

Let's look at Penn State's last two games...

Saturday - At Minnesota - Penn St went off as 7 point favorites
Thursday - At Ohio St - Penn State went off as 3 point underdogs

What do you think that tells you the spread would approximately be if Minnesota played Ohio State on a neutral court tomorrow? We could point to Ohio State's loss last night as needing an adjustment by another point or so, but then we should also be looking at Minnesota's 3 losses since that line was posted on Saturday (though none of the 3 really moved the needle on their rating).

And "fans" would be about the worst people to talk to if you're trying to set a line.

I'm honestly starting to think you're serious. Good God, I hope not. Most OSU fand will tell you that this is their worst team - by far - since the Randy Ayers days over 30 years ago
Yet they were considered to be one of the best Big 10 teams in the preseason. They actually crushed Northwestern on the road in January, but since then I don't know whether they've won a game. Something obviously happened to that team after they lost at home to Minnesota.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT