ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State full transfer portal additions list (May 2)

- S King Mack (previously reported)
- RB David Kency (previously reported)
- RB London Montgomery
- OL Golden Israel-Achumba
- WR Malik McClain

This is strange. He's listed as second string on Our Lads behind Jaylen Reed and no other players at that position (NB). Appears not to be good news but we don't know the specifics.

This is strange. He's listed as second string on Our Lads behind Jaylen Reed and no other players at that position (NB). Appears not to be good news but we don't know the specifics.
I'm still reaching out to figure out the specifics of what all transpired but wouldn't be shocked if a Florida school just came calling with a big bag.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
I'm still reaching out to figure out the specifics of what all transpired but wouldn't be shocked if a Florida school just came calling with a big bag.
Yep. The new world of college football. I thought he was a sure fire starter for us but I guess not. Did he play in the Blue White game? Nevertheless this is a loss and a hit to our depth at DB/safety.

Other schools will be having similar discussions with players about PT. Obviously they need to get to the 85 ships number. I'd still like to see an experienced WR come in. Mack was a surprise and a significant loss. He'd get some PT in dime coverage and he's a good special teams guy. Probably would be starting next year. NIL $ probably was a big reason.

Other schools will be having similar discussions with players about PT. Obviously they need to get to the 85 ships number. I'd still like to see an experienced WR come in. Mack was a surprise and a significant loss. He'd get some PT in dime coverage and he's a good special teams guy. Probably would be starting next year. NIL $ probably was a big reason.
They do not have to get to 85 it was published today they will carry 95 and NIL will pay for 10 scholarships.

Surprised about Mack. But with the loaded Safety room for 2024 and the 2 other Safety's, Nelson and Payne in his class, along with Toure and Lane in the 2024 class the competition to get on the field will be fierce this season and likely going forward. Maybe Mack couldn't win the slot CB spot either.

With Martin looking like a stud RB and Smith coming from the 2024 class, and Wallance seemingly ahead of Montgomery there won't be carries for him in 2024, his RS freshman year. And with 3 talented RB's committed in the 2025 class the competition won't be less in 2025 either. A RB likely had to go to get to 85 and Montgomery, inspite of looking shifty in the B/W game, was at the bottom of the depth chart.

Achumba wasn't going to see the field unless there were injuries at Guard and there are 9 olinemen with freshman eligibility with a couple of those likely passing him up by the WVU game.

I thought McClain was in the top 3 WR's talent wise, but if he couldn't get in the 2 deep in his 2nd Spring at PSU he may as well go somewhere and play and PSU will have 2 more freshmen from the 2024 class arriving this summer to compete at WR.

This is NIL erra football.......

I thought 85 was ncaa rule should have nothing to do with NIL!
It is something I warned about when NIL became a thing. There is nothing to prevent a school from giving a player money to cover tuition, etc. plus a little extra to live on. "Hey kid, wanna play major league football? We don't have a scholarship, but here's a half mil. Hmmm, I dunno if you need to go to class if you don't have a scholarship. I guess without a scholarship, you're not a scholar, soooo..."

Reactions: Obliviax
There is nothing to prevent a school from giving a player money to cover tuition, etc. plus a little extra to live on. "Hey kid, wanna play major league football? We don't have a scholarship, but here's a half mil. Hmmm, I dunno if you need to go to class if you don't have a scholarship. I guess without a scholarship, you're not a scholar, soooo..."
I don't think the school can do that.

I don't think the school can do that.
I have asked several times if that is legal and never got an answer.

How do you enforce it? Walkons are permitted so call them walkons….. excuse me….run ons!

Suppose you could say if a kid plays in more than three quarters total than he is counted as a scholly athlete. Won’t stop schools from doing this but at least it won’t work for starters if key players.

School can’t give kids money. NILs can.
Correct, but how much money is available for reserve players like Mack? Maybe $5,000?

I think players have to be enrolled as students so if they walk on it's going to cost $50k for tuition, room, and board. What kids are going to collect $5k and spend $50k?

Last edited:
Correct, but how much money is available for reserve players? Maybe $5,000?

I think players have to be enrolled as students so if they walk on it's going to cost $50k for tuition, room, and board. What kids are going to collect $5k and spend $50k?
Pretty much every team has several walk ons every year.

Correct, but how much money is available for reserve players like Mack? Maybe $5,000?

Someone call up Chad Powers, he already has plenty of money.

Reactions: bison13
Not true. Many get lower level offers like Vanderbilt or Wake Forest but elect to chase their dream. There is even a category called preferred walk ons.
I don't understand your point. I looked at walk on Logan Bahn who committed in October. His scholarship offers were from schools like Penn & Bryant. He's from NJ but he wasn't even offered by Rutgers. So sure, he was willing to pay for at least 1 year to chase his dream. But I don't think too many players are walking away from full scholarships at Rutgers or Wisconsin so they can walk on at PSU.

My point is that higher rated kids aren't likely to pay $50k/yr in exchange for a $5k NIL deal.

Reactions: marshall23
I don't understand your point. I looked at walk on Logan Bahn who committed in October. His scholarship offers were from schools like Penn & Bryant. He's from NJ but he wasn't even offered by Rutgers. So sure, he was willing to pay for at least 1 year to chase his dream. But I don't think too many players are walking away from full scholarships at Rutgers or Wisconsin so they can walk on at PSU.

My point is that higher rated kids aren't likely to pay $50k/yr in exchange for a $5k NIL deal.
Is there a 5k limit on a NIL deal? Would they pay 50k in return for a 55k NIL deal?

Aren't some players getting million+ NIL deals?

Is there a 5k limit on a NIL deal? Would they pay 50k in return for a 55k NIL deal?

Aren't some players getting million+ NIL deals?
Yes, the top 1% of players are getting $million NIL deals. I read that Texas offensive linemen are getting the most ($50k) but they're also getting tuition. I don't think many OL at PSU are getting that much. Certainly not the guys that didn't even get P5 scholarship offers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT