ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State favored by 8 over Terps

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
i dunno. That seems a little low to me but I’m really not sure what kind of competition Maryland will be. Hoping their defense is porous and we can mount a good running game.

Last edited:
Clifford will be in a night game in a hostile environment for the first time. This could be a tough situation for him. I’m still not sold on our offensive line against the blitz or 8 in the box. The defense may have to win this game, and if so it could be close.

Clifford will be in a night game in a hostile environment for the first time. This could be a tough situation for him. I’m still not sold on our offensive line against the blitz or 8 in the box. The defense may have to win this game, and if so it could be close.
I’d be shocked if at least a third of the stadium isn’t PSU fans. Probably more. Shouldn’t be that hostile

Reactions: Achowalogan

I’d be shocked if at least a third of the stadium isn’t PSU fans. Probably more. Shouldn’t be that hostile

It will be hostile for Clifford because of all the Penn State fans.

:eek:

I virtually never bet PSU games. I'm leery about giving 8 points because I'm not convinced with a lot of things. OTOH I'm certainly not taking points and rooting AGAINST my team.

Plenty of other games out there to select from. It's stressful enough rooting for the Lions let alone bringing $ into it.

Last time I bet the Lions IIRC was the Rose Bowl and we got the cover. I would have traded cashing the ticket for a win.

Another nonbeliever. Oh well we will see soon enough.

What I believe or don't is entirely irrelevant to the point spread. I expected the line to open around even. I asked another poster in a different thread who often comments on these things and he expected PSU to be a 2-3 point favorite. You will see this line dip from 8, which tells us that the line is too high. If PSU wins by 50, which I hope they do, the 8-point line will have still been too high.

PSU should win comfortably. Syracuse played horrid on defense, no way our D plays that poorly. In the meantime, the Cuse was able to hit big passes downfield. Similarly, Temple was able to do the same. Temple was able to get pressure on Josh Jackson, forcing him into bad throws/ decisions. It would be ridiculous if PSU can’t go down there and beat them.

Reactions: PantherDan
PSU should win comfortably. Syracuse played horrid on defense, no way our D plays that poorly. In the meantime, the Cuse was able to hit big passes downfield. Similarly, Temple was able to do the same. Temple was able to get pressure on Josh Jackson, forcing him into bad throws/ decisions. It would be ridiculous if PSU can’t go down there and beat them.
Franklin and Locksley are both playing for keeps in this one. I still think we win easily.

Reactions: MJG-90
I virtually never bet PSU games. I'm leery about giving 8 points because I'm not convinced with a lot of things. OTOH I'm certainly not taking points and rooting AGAINST my team.

Plenty of other games out there to select from. It's stressful enough rooting for the Lions let alone bringing $ into it.

Last time I bet the Lions IIRC was the Rose Bowl and we got the cover. I would have traded cashing the ticket for a win.
I too cannot bet on PSU games...but if I did, I would likely bet against them every time that way if things didn’t go well at least o would get something out of it.

What I believe or don't is entirely irrelevant to the point spread. I expected the line to open around even. I asked another poster in a different thread who often comments on these things and he expected PSU to be a 2-3 point favorite. You will see this line dip from 8, which tells us that the line is too high. If PSU wins by 50, which I hope they do, the 8-point line will have still been too high.
It has already dropped to -6 1/2 at my book.

Reactions: PSUoh90

Ok, so you're saying it's "very high" relative to where it will be in the end, because you think that line is going to cause a lot of money to be bet on Maryland? I think that is a solid position.

And though this could be true also, you're not necessarily saying that the line is too high relative to how you think the game is going to play out? Or, put another way, without considering the potential/likelihood for the line to come down, you're not necessarily saying the line is "very high" for you to bet on Penn State?

Reactions: PSU&Trout
Lol, Maryland lost to Temple, which lost to Buffalo, who we creamed. We beat Pitt, who beat UCF. Honestly, this board kills me sometimes.
Agree. There are serious issues if the lay an egg at Maryland Friday night. Just saying.

Our first road game.
Offense is still trying to find it's way.
I have faith in the defense.
Don't trust anything yet.
Either take the points, or, better yet, IMHO, just sit back and watch the game.
We should learn a lot more about what kind of team we have after this game!

Reactions: LionJim
Lol, Maryland lost to Temple, which lost to Buffalo, who we creamed. We beat Pitt, who beat UCF. Honestly, this board kills me sometimes.
We should win every game (except for OSU) by 50+, don’t you know that? I mean 45-13 against Buffalo was apparently a struggle...I’m not sure when they stopped counting the second half of games, but it happened at some point.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
No doubt. It’s completely understandable if one believes that Maryland will give us a very difficult time. But this is the betting spread we’re talking about.
Exactly. Betting spreads take external profitability factors into account outside of the play on the field, which is why they aren’t to be taken as predictions.

Penn State feels like they’re about two touchdowns better than Maryland. I was really hoping for Maryland to be undefeated coming into this one - it’d be a nice road ranked win in our cap.

Reactions: djr4rebs
We're #4 in the nation in yards per carry defense at 1.9/ypc. Maryland is right behind us. I think about how tough the Illinois game was last year for that first half in a similar environment. Expect the same.

Ok, so you're saying it's "very high" relative to where it will be in the end, because you think that line is going to cause a lot of money to be bet on Maryland? I think that is a solid position.

And though this could be true also, you're not necessarily saying that the line is too high relative to how you think the game is going to play out? Or, put another way, without considering the potential/likelihood for the line to come down, you're not necessarily saying the line is "very high" for you to bet on Penn State?
Yea,that sounds about right

We're #4 in the nation in yards per carry defense at 1.9/ypc. Maryland is right behind us. I think about how tough the Illinois game was last year for that first half in a similar environment. Expect the same.

If we can't get off to a fast start against Buffalo or pitt at home, I don't expect one on a Friday night at maryland.

Did it really open at 8 or was that just one of the offshore books?

I see it at 6, went up to 6.5, then back to 6

Mobile QB with a decent arm, I suspect that this will be our defenses first stiff test. Be nice to see some wrinkles this week. Cam or Micah spying. I suspect we see a screen pass on their first drive. We didn't sniff one out until the 4th quarter vs Pitt.

I'd like to see us break tendency with the offense. 2-back set with Slade and Brown or give Cain the starting nod and work the middle right off the bat unless they show a stacked box then something quick to Shorter.

Glad the bye is over. Happy for a Friday night game. Hopefully we line out the deep throws, 3rd downs (O and D), and dominate with all eyes on us!

A little bit of both. I think the line is high on all accounts. It's early in the week, but I think this is a game where you're going to see professional money coming in on Maryland and public money on PSU.

I honestly believe that Maryland is going to have a lot of success moving the ball. Add to this the Friday night home game atmosphere and a "super bowl" for Maryland. If I were betting, I would be all over Maryland at +8 or +7.

This does not mean I would be "betting against my team". I would be betting the line and not on any team. If PSU were to win by 50, I would not regret the bet if I know it was the right side. I bet Pitt at +17 because I knew that number was way too high. I would have preferred we beat them by 70, but we still won and I had something to show for it.

My issue with some posters on this board is that saying anything less than "PSU is going to win easily" is viewed as a direct insult to the program. Aside from doubts about the offensive line play, I've never said anything negative about this team.

Reactions: psu00
A little bit of both. I think the line is high on all accounts. It's early in the week, but I think this is a game where you're going to see professional money coming in on Maryland and public money on PSU.

I honestly believe that Maryland is going to have a lot of success moving the ball. Add to this the Friday night home game atmosphere and a "super bowl" for Maryland. If I were betting, I would be all over Maryland at +8 or +7.

This does not mean I would be "betting against my team". I would be betting the line and not on any team. If PSU were to win by 50, I would not regret the bet if I know it was the right side. I bet Pitt at +17 because I knew that number was way too high. I would have preferred we beat them by 70, but we still won and I had something to show for it.

My issue with some posters on this board is that saying anything less than "PSU is going to win easily" is viewed as a direct insult to the program. Aside from doubts about the offensive line play, I've never said anything negative about this team.
As far as I’m concerned you may say anything that you want about the team, as long as I’m in complete agreement with what you say.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT