ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State basketball NCAA chances

Espn just moved Pat Chambers men to a lock. Have to agree as we are at least .500 with 20 wins.
We have been a lock since the Purdue win according to bracketologists, some argue that we have been a lock since the Michigan State win.

They’re definitely in as of now. Games remaining are Illinois, Rutgers, @ Iowa, MSU and @ NW. I think they go no worse than 2-3, likely 3-2 (Lose to Iowa and MSU).

They’re definitely in as of now. Games remaining are Illinois, Rutgers, @ Iowa, MSU and @ NW. I think they go no worse than 2-3, likely 3-2 (Lose to Iowa and MSU).

Huh? MSU dropped out of top 25. Illinois is a very good team.

Considering we won at Michigan State, I wouldn't chalk that one up as a likely loss. While we can lose any of those remaining games, we will probably be favored in all of them except at Iowa, imo. Illinois also makes me nervous. Hopefully MJ is back

It still blows my mind that some fans on here did not think that we were going to be in the tournament until after the game today? If your sights are only set on this program making the tournament, your expectations/hopes are way too low for this season. We are the front runners to win the Big Ten as we speak

I thought we were a lock after the MSU win. However, I guess theoretically if we lost every game after that, we would be on the bubble and a losing streak wouldn't look good in the eyes of the committee... but if you watched this team, you know there's no way that would happen so we were pretty much a lock at that point.

I thought we were a lock after the MSU win. However, I guess theoretically if we lost every game after that, we would be on the bubble and a losing streak wouldn't look good in the eyes of the committee... but if you watched this team, you know there's no way that would happen so we were pretty much a lock at that point.

Also, after that game we had one of the easiest remaining schedules of any B1G team, including two games against Northwestern. So a massive losing streak was not happening. We are much more likely to win the B1G than miss the NCAA tournament, and it has been that way for a few weeks.

Reactions: psuguy43
its understandable that some fans didn't consider us a lock earlier, it isn't like people are used to this kind of success and this good of a team here

Also, after that game we had one of the easiest remaining schedules of any B1G team, including two games against Northwestern. So a massive losing streak was not happening. We are much more likely to win the B1G than miss the NCAA tournament, and it has been that way for a few weeks.
Michigan State and Illinois at home and Indiana and Iowa on the road aren't easy games.

Michigan State and Illinois at home and Indiana and Iowa on the road aren't easy games.
Know what also is not an easy game? Playing against Penn State. ;-)

There are no easy games in the B10, but those are winnable games. I don't think that the casual fan realizes just how good this PSU team is (especially with a very strong bench). They are not just good by PSU standards, they are good by college hoops standards.

There are no easy games in the B10, but those are winnable games. I don't think that the casual fan realizes just how good this PSU team is (especially with a very strong bench). They are not just good by PSU standards, they are good by college hoops standards.
Of course there winnable games. My only point is they're not easy games. Even Rutgers won't be easy.

Right. Nobody wants to play Penn State. That is a likely loss for whoever we play. We have no likely losses. Tough games, certainly, but Penn State has a good chance to beat everyone on the schedule.

You left out @ Indiana on Feb 23rd. Hopefully we can 1 of 2 between Iowa and Indiana on the road and no more than 1 loss at home.

Of course there winnable games. My only point is they're not easy games. Even Rutgers won't be easy.

Not even a little bit WD...watching them take Illinois apart right now. What's good for PSU is Illinois has to comeback to the east coast again on Tuesday. 6 games left. Right now..gimme 4-2 and that double bye in the tournament. Get Myreon Jones ready for that weekend...

There is "a lock" in that a team is almost certain to make the tourney based on their trajectory/remaining schedule.

There's also being "a lock" in that if you lose every single remaining game you would still qualify.

I think the argument in the thread is that PSU is now probably "a lock" in the second category - we should be confident that we'll be in even in a worse case scenario.

Reactions: Erial_Lion
?
We've been a lock for weeks and ESPN thinks we are a #4 seed as of yesterday. They haven't had us anywhere near the bubble since January.
Their daily summary had us at “should be in “until today. Only other big 10 listed is Maryland

There is "a lock" in that a team is almost certain to make the tourney based on their trajectory/remaining schedule.

There's also being "a lock" in that if you lose every single remaining game you would still qualify.

I think the argument in the thread is that PSU is now probably "a lock" in the second category - we should be confident that we'll be in even in a worse case scenario.
According to Lunardi and Jerry Palm, we were a "lock" in that second category once we hit 9 wins

Not even a little bit WD...watching them take Illinois apart right now. What's good for PSU is Illinois has to comeback to the east coast again on Tuesday. 6 games left. Right now..gimme 4-2 and that double bye in the tournament. Get Myreon Jones ready for that weekend...
Jones was there today and participated some in warmups. I think we'll see him before B10s.

Jones was there today and participated some in warmups. I think we'll see him before B10s.
He's been out with the flu, but returned to classes yesterday - so, he is getting better. I imagine that he will be back by the end on the coming week, if not Tuesday

MSU is talented and will be hungry last game of the season. At Iowa is a challenge. Think they beat Illinois and get revenge vs Rutgers.

Agree, Iowa is a challenge, especially at home, but they just lost one one their leading scorers, C.J. Fredrick, with a high ankle sprain. This will hurt them somewhat, no doubt.

He's been out with the flu, but returned to classes yesterday - so, he is getting better. I imagine that he will be back by the end on the coming week, if not Tuesday
Had to be more than the flu if he missed that many games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT