ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Penn State men's basketball defeats Robert Morris in exhibition game 68-58

Glad that this one was on ESPN+ so I could watch it this morning. Mixed reviews…really pleased with what we’ve got at the 5 this year. Wahab and Aire aren’t guys we’ll run any plays for, but they can attack the boards, be there for a dump off when our guards penetrate and the defense helps, and give us some rim protection at the other end. Pretty concerned with the offense…just not many shooters (should get better when Puff and Leo come back). Robert Morris is bad, and we should have put them away much earlier. But definitely have some pieces to build on.

Reactions: NedFromYork
If we win 10 games I consider it a success. Shrews left us in shambles and this coach deserves a TON of credit for scrounging together a team.
10 is too low. There’s enough talent on this team that 13 should be the minimum. If they gel and the defense supplies enough points, they can be over 500.

If we win 10 games I consider it a success. Shrews left us in shambles and this coach deserves a TON of credit for scrounging together a team.
This team will win a lot more than 10 games, and will surprise a lot of people. We have everything we need to be a winner, size, ability, toughness, and the ability to score inside and out.

This team will win a lot more than 10 games, and will surprise a lot of people. We have everything we need to be a winner, size, ability, toughness, and the ability to score inside and out.
If I had to make a prediction, I'd have us at something like 16-15 (7-13). I think we'll struggle scoring against some of the Big Ten defenses, but hopefully our defense will be good enough to keep us in games.

much deeper than in previous years, i think that helps as well.

If I had to make a prediction, I'd have us at something like 16-15 (7-13). I think we'll struggle scoring against some of the Big Ten defenses, but hopefully our defense will be good enough to keep us in games.
I say sincerely that I respect your opinions about college basketball. Considering all of the chaos that happened after last season ended, I guess that your projected record would be acceptable. However, it would've been nice to build on the great ending to last season better. It would be nice to win at least half of the conference games. I do think that the AD did about as well as he could have in stabilizing the situation.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I say sincerely that I respect your opinions about college basketball. Considering all of the chaos that happened after last season ended, I guess that your projected record would be acceptable. However, it would've been nice to build on the great ending to last season better. It would be nice to win at least half of the conference games. I do think that the AD did about as well as he could have in stabilizing the situation.
The nice thing now is that we have something to build off of heading into next year. No idea if Ace would come back again, and/or if we could hold the full roster together, but the only guys we definitely lose are Wahab, O'Boyle, and Mitchell. Last year was an incredible amount of fun, but we knew looking at the roster that we'd be mostly hitting the reset button this year. That's not really the case moving forward.

The nice thing now is that we have something to build off of heading into next year. No idea if Ace would come back again, and/or if we could hold the full roster together, but the only guys we definitely lose are Wahab, O'Boyle, and Mitchell. Last year was an incredible amount of fun, but we knew looking at the roster that we'd be mostly hitting the reset button this year. That's not really the case moving forward.
Purdue was on BTN last night, and of course Edey still is there. It would've been nice to see him leave after last season, but of course he had to come back to torment the Big 10 for another season. He was the difference between them being a No. 1 ranked team for much of last season and a borderline tournament team IMO. In fact, without him, I believe that PSU was a better team than Purdue at the end of last season.

Purdue was on BTN last night, and of course Edey still is there. It would've been nice to see him leave after last season, but of course he had to come back to torment the Big 10 for another season.
I did love Radford sending out the 5'8" guy for the tip against him.

Pomeroy has Purdue at #1, and favored in every single game this season that we know of thusfar (outside of their second two games at the Maui Invitational). We'll learn a lot about them in a few weeks in Hawaii in a ridiculously stacked field (they open with #11 Gonzaga, likely would face #9 Tennessee in the semi, and then #1 Kansas is a potential opponent in the Title game).

I just don't see us struggling to score against anyone. We have three great 3 point shooters all 6'5" or taller in Brown, Hicks and Johnson. Dunn is also a good outside shooter, O'Boyle has made 196 3 pointers in his college career. Both Baldwin and Clary are dynamic point guards who can score, and although Wahab isn't a dominating center, he is capable and can score so you can't forget him. They have an outside and inside game so I don't see how they won't be able to score.

I just don't see us struggling to score against anyone. We have three great 3 point shooters all 6'5" or taller in Brown, Hicks and Johnson.
“Great”?

Brown went 2-14 last season, 0-2 in the RMU game, and then 6-8 against a bad Delaware St team. He’ll have to show me a lot more to reach “decent”, let alone “great”.

Puff is a 24.7% three point shooter so far in his career (20-81). I’d be thrilled if he became “serviceable” behind the arc this season.

Hicks has the best chance of the three guys…he came here as a 36% three point shooter and has some improving to do to make the jump to “great”.

If we want to be successful, we’ll need to take a lot fewer 3s than we did on Monday night with this personnel (O’Boyle is much better than we saw though) and be a lot better offensively. It was a pretty uneven offensive performance against that level of opposition (and RMU, albeit an exhibition, was even worse).

Last edited:
“Great”?

Brown went 2-14 last season, 0-2 in the RMU game, and then 6-8 against a bad Delaware St team. He’ll have to show me a lot more to reach “decent”, let alone “great”.

Puff is a 24.7% three point shooter so far in his career (20-81). I’d be thrilled if he became “serviceable” behind the arc this season.

Hicks has the best chance of the three guys…he came here as a 36% three point shooter and has some improving to do to make the jump to “great”.

If we want to be successful, we’ll need to take a lot fewer 3s than we did on Monday night with this personnel (O’Boyle is much better than we saw though) and be a lot better offensively. It was a pretty uneven offensive performance against that level of opposition (and RMU, albeit an exhibition, was even worse).
Brown didn't play enough last year to use that as any type of eval., and he played 6 minutes against Robert Morris. He was a prolific shooting guard in high school and showed just how sweet a shot he does have. He has the size to play in the Big Ten, and his left handed layup in traffic right off a pass shows his ability.
Puff has the size and handling ability to get to the rim so at 25-30% out side shooting you still have to respect that. That opens up a lot of the passing lanes, also give him the ability, he also shot over 44% from behind the are his senior year in high school. He has the shot, it is his ability to stay healthy that is the only concern. Dunn was the #64 recruit out of high school, and the #68 listed by sports 247. He is a top defender who can also score. And when O'Boyle gets his legs back after his back injury he will show people that he can also shoot the ball.
They have a long way to go, but there are far too many offensive weapons on this team, they can score inside and out, and even more off their defense. We ended up shooting the ball pretty well after the early first game jitters went away.

I did love Radford sending out the 5'8" guy for the tip against him.

Pomeroy has Purdue at #1, and favored in every single game this season that we know of thusfar (outside of their second two games at the Maui Invitational). We'll learn a lot about them in a few weeks in Hawaii in a ridiculously stacked field (they open with #11 Gonzaga, likely would face #9 Tennessee in the semi, and then #1 Kansas is a potential opponent in the Title game).
We missed out on the Purdue-Kansas matchup, but Purdue won the title in an incredible field and will be #1 come Monday. They'll likely be favored in every game the rest of the season (unless they hit a rough patch). We only play them once this year, at their place. Kinda sucks from a fan standpoint that we miss out on them at the BJC.

We missed out on the Purdue-Kansas matchup, but Purdue won the title in an incredible field and will be #1 come Monday. They'll likely be favored in every game the rest of the season (unless they hit a rough patch). We only play them once this year, at their place. Kinda sucks from a fan standpoint that we miss out on them at the BJC.
It would be great to see them at the Jordan Center, and they should be favored in every game. They just beat 3 top 10 teams in 3 days, but if something happens to Edey they won't be favored in many games.

They will not be in the bottom 2 of the conference. Bank on that baring any injuries,

They will not be in the bottom 2 of the conference. Bank on that baring any injuries,
The challenge is figuring out who will be at this point. I've seen every Big Ten team play at least twice now, and no one is awful. We can probably pencil in Minnesota at the bottom, but beyond them, it's a crapshoot. It's a zero sum game, and we could still be top 65-70ish and finish in 13th.

We'll learn a lot about our team over the next few days. My goal for this week is a top 5 finish in the tournament, but it will be tough. Texas A&M will be quite the challenge today. After that, we're probably looking at a Butler team tomorrow that seems like a pretty even matchup. And, if we can beat them, we're probably looking at Boise St or Virginia Tech on Sunday, would is probably a bubble-type team. If we come out of this going 2-1, I'd be thrilled.

The challenge is figuring out who will be at this point. I've seen every Big Ten team play at least twice now, and no one is awful. We can probably pencil in Minnesota at the bottom, but beyond them, it's a crapshoot. It's a zero sum game, and we could still be top 65-70ish and finish in 13th.

We'll learn a lot about our team over the next few days. My goal for this week is a top 5 finish in the tournament, but it will be tough. Texas A&M will be quite the challenge today. After that, we're probably looking at a Butler team tomorrow that seems like a pretty even matchup. And, if we can beat them, we're probably looking at Boise St or Virginia Tech on Sunday, would is probably a bubble-type team. If we come out of this going 2-1, I'd be thrilled.
Coach has been playing a lot of people in these early games. It will be interesting to see if he drops down to an 8 man rotation as the competition becomes more difficult. Will Wahab be on the floor for 30+ minutes today if the game is close?

I'm also interested to see what role Brown will play. He hasn't seen a lot of minutes but he seems to be our best 3 pt shooter.

I'm also interested to see what role Brown will play. He hasn't seen a lot of minutes but he seems to be our best 3 pt shooter.
Coming into the season, I would have guess it was O'Boyle...hoping today is the day he can get it going and knock a few down, as we'll need them.

We will learn a lot about our team today. I have seen the Big Ten play so far this year, and outside of Purdue they all look beatable. This cold be the year we finally knock off Wisconsin. I think we can beat Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, and finish above the tenth place again. Puff Johnson looked good coming back, and when we get Aire back we should have some depth at the 5 spot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT