ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Penn State Basketball falls to Bucknell

Very disappointed thus far. Toughness/defense was Rhoades calling card and the team is not manifesting those traits. Not good. Sounds like time for some sit downs with the team captains to tell them the effort is unacceptable. Perhaps Rhoades needs to make a style adjustment with this personnel group.

Reactions: psu00
Is Rhoades' subdued body language and lack of emotion on the sideline during a lackluster game like this indicative of problems? Asking for a friend.

Very disappointed thus far. Toughness/defense was Rhoades calling card and the team is not manifesting those traits. Not good. Sounds like time for some sit downs with the team captains to tell them the effort is unacceptable. Perhaps Rhoades needs to make a style adjustment with this personnel group.
Or maybe reward those that are playing tougher in practice with playing time, if he hasn't been already. Very disappointing, but I like Rhoades to get the players he has formed into a unit that plays the style he likes to play in the next 4-6 weeks......

This isn’t the Villanova of J Wright; they’ve already lost three games, and I believe that they were favored in all of them.
They lost all 3 Big 5 games to finish last in it this year…but won their tournament in the Bahamas against a pretty good field.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Has the program ever suffered a worst defeat at home? WTF Coach Rhoades? At least Nova and KU lost to teams with a pulse. Bucknell? These guys drove over in a school bus.
If you go way back you can probably find something, but this was absolutely terrible. The team Rhoades put together should be able to defeat a bad 2-7 Bucknell team at home. They led by 10 in the 2nd half and then Bucknell just erased the lead with ease.

And weird decisions from beginning to end. O'Boyle started over Baldwin (?). In the first few minutes Wahab was completely dominating the game and then PSU stopped going to him for a very long stretch. With a couple minutes left in the 2nd half and trailing by 4 or 5, Wahab got benched (no foul trouble) and never came back. Wahab had 18 points but easily could have had double that if they ran the offense through him every time he was in. Also if they used Wahab better, half of Bucknell's team would have been in foul trouble by halftime. Bucknell could not do anything about him except let him score or foul him.

They played terrible. Offense was terrible, defense was terrible. Nasty 4 game slide. The way they are playing, they will not win 5 conference games. Not a good start for Rhoades.

Last edited:
If you go way back you can probably find something, but this was absolutely terrible. The team Rhoades put together should be able to defeat a bad 2-7 Bucknell team at home. They led by 10 in the 2nd half and then Bucknell just erased the lead with ease.

And weird decisions from beginning to end. O'Boyle started over Baldwin (?). In the first few minutes Wahab was completely dominating the game and then PSU stopped going to him for a very long stretch. With a couple minutes left in the 2nd half and trailing by 4 or 5, Wahab got benched (no foul trouble) and never came back. Wahab had 18 points but easily could have had double that if they ran the offense through him every time he was in. Also if they used Wahab better, half of Bucknell's team would have been in foul trouble by halftime. Bucknell could not do anything about him except let him score or foul him.

They played terrible. Offense was terrible, defense was terrible. Nasty 4 game slide. The way they are playing, they will not win 5 conference games. Not a good start for Rhoades.
O’Boyle shouldn’t even be on a Big 10 roster let alone a starter.

I've always enjoyed watching PSU basketball. Even during some losing seasons there was hope we could get to .500 and get an NIT bid.

This year is different. We have a lot of good athletes but it's helter skelter on both ends. The defense is all about pressing with active hands but seldom working hard with their feet. Opponents have had free lanes to the basket for layups and they get lots of second chance baskets. Blocking out and crashing the boards seems unimportant.

I'm going to have to find something else to do this winter because this team is painful to watch.

I've always enjoyed watching PSU basketball. Even during some losing seasons there was hope we could get to .500 and get an NIT bid.

This year is different. We have a lot of good athletes but it's helter skelter on both ends. The defense is all about pressing with active hands but seldom working hard with their feet. Opponents have had free lanes to the basket for layups and they get lots of second chance baskets. Blocking out and crashing the boards seems unimportant.

I'm going to have to find something else to do this winter because this team is painful to watch.
I’m with you 100%. I don’t think I can watch this team much anymore. I had the game recorded yesterday and was watching it without knowing the score. When they had a 10 point lead in the second half I still had a bad feeling, so I cheated and looked at the score to see if I should continue to waste my time…I didn’t waste any more of my day.

there's a problem given who didn't start the game. Sometimes motivation works, sometimes it doesn't. Yesterday it didn't work.

The players do not seem that bad to me. I think it is a coaching problem. Sure it's hard to get a new group on the same page but they shouldn't lose to 2-7 Bucknell.

I remeber some of the really down years, like the mid-2000s. It just felt like those teams didn't have the ability to win a lot of games. They didn't have players who could work at that level.

That is not the current situation. There are pieces, but why do we see things like Baldwin not starting? it makes no sense at all

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT