ADVERTISEMENT

Paying players

I have to admit to being of two minds about this. On the one hand, I think the NCAA has been screwing the players for years. On the other, I'm not sure that when college sports turn pro that I'm going to have much interest.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...th-new-ncaa-rules/ar-BB13p3lj?ocid=spartanntp
I just don't know how it can be controlled.

• players will have to have agents
  • QB's are going to do great but what about Centers and Guards?
  • Once agents are involved, how can you possibly control it?
  • How can schools compete? I mean, I love watching a Boise, TCU or Utah come alive. How can that happen in the new world? I mean, with transfer rules, wouldn't you immediately go to a big market school to maximize income?
I agree with you on the mixed emotions. college football, as we once knew it is over....and I don't know if that is good or bad. But what we once rooted for, kids emotional and dedicated to a university entity, is toast.

If they start playing the players that actually make money, or perhaps the the players in the sports that make money, then I'm okay with it. The problem I have is that two sports make money and the rest lose money but they talk about paying the players in all sports.

so the football kid gets paid but the wrestler or lacrosse or soccer player who trains just as hard and is jsut as good at his/her game does not get paid because his/her team is not a revenue sport. Total crap IMHO

so the football kid gets paid but the wrestler or lacrosse or soccer player who trains just as hard and is jsut as good at his/her game does not get paid because his/her team is not a revenue sport. Total crap IMHO

so the football kid gets a full ride but the wrestler or lacrosse or soccer player who trains just as hard and is just (fixed it) as good at his/her game gets a partial scholarship. Is that "total crap" because that's how it works now?

Reactions: Option Bob

Free market at play. It isn't any different from any other part of life.

Reactions: Madsol
Will the NCAA (sorry, couldn't avoid the joke) or conferences implement a salary cap so that the rich boosters don't simply dominate the sport?

I would personally like to see all sports be headcount sports but it isn't realistic. I would also like to see scholarship limits increase. Wrestling has 10 weight and 9.9 scholarships. Realistic they should have at least 20 in a headcount scenario.

This whole thing is a slippery slope. If EA wants to use Michah Parsons likeness and name he should be compensated. When you are trying to lock down a top recruit should Joel Confer be able to offer them a billboard for $50k to get htem to come to PSU.

I know the overt payment of college athletes will lessen my interest.

Call me crazy but I think college sports should be played by college students.

Isn't it really just recognizing what has gone on for decades, and putting a face on it? Instead of the $100 handshake after a game, kids can now make some cash with their likeness, and do so without the bagman.

I have to admit to being of two minds about this. On the one hand, I think the NCAA has been screwing the players for years. On the other, I'm not sure that when college sports turn pro that I'm going to have much interest.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...th-new-ncaa-rules/ar-BB13p3lj?ocid=spartanntp
I'm with ya on being divided. What happens when a players shirks their commitment to team activities or worse, classroom and studies to go do an endorsement? Think it won't happen? Watch and see. I might just go back to paying attention to pro football. I do not like this trend in college football.

Isn't it really just recognizing what has gone on for decades, and putting a face on it? Instead of the $100 handshake after a game, kids can now make some cash with their likeness, and do so without the bagman.

All well and good, but what stops it from becoming $10,000? Doing an ad for a businessman means athlete then can make whatever the guy wants to pay, or am I missing something?

This is where I'm at too and is likely why the NCAA rules are as strict as they are. The existing rules facilitate controllership. The NCAA still has it's problems with controllership but at least the rules are designed to try to make it easier. With lawsuits chipping away at the NCAA they have to make some concessions and I fear those concessions will open the floodgates to all sorts of fraudulent behavior by many involved parties... agents, players, coaches, ADs, schools, recruiters, bag men, etc. On paper I completely agree that disallowing a player from monetizing their personal likeness doesn't make one lick of sense but in reality I have no idea how that can be permitted but the other more nefarious things can still be controlled. Something has to give and thanks to the courts the NCAA has to relent and I don't like where that may lead.

Reactions: Obliviax
What happens when a players shirks their commitment to team activities or worse, classroom and studies to go do an endorsement?
What happens now when a (non graduate) player enters the transfer portal? Don't you think that's a setback to his academics?

In a free market high school kids could choose to go directly to a professional league or decide to go to college.

Professional sports leagues are privately owned businesses and have the right to decide who they hire or don't hire. The NCAA doesn't make the rules about who can go professional or when they can do that. A golfer can go professional whenever they want, as the PGA doesn't force golfers to spend 3 years in college.

Professional sports leagues are privately owned businesses and have the right to decide who they hire or don't hire. The NCAA doesn't make the rules about who can go professional or when they can do that. A golfer can go professional whenever they want, as the PGA doesn't force golfers to spend 3 years in college.
You don't think their decision to restrict eligibility was coordinated with the NCAA?

I'm with ya on being divided. What happens when a players shirks their commitment to team activities or worse, classroom and studies to go do an endorsement? Think it won't happen? Watch and see. I might just go back to paying attention to pro football. I do not like this trend in college football.
That player will see the pine. If he gets PO’d and hits the portal, you wish him luck and the next guy moves up.
It’s a new world and as the old saying goes you bend with the breeze or you break. Outside of the Ivies and a few others in 1A, school was never that important. Wish that was different but you buys your ticket and you takes your chances.

All well and good, but what stops it from becoming $10,000? Doing an ad for a businessman means athlete then can make whatever the guy wants to pay, or am I missing something?

You are absolutely correct. This is where it is headed. Endorsement opportunities will become part of the recruiting process.

Don't like it. Give all kids a set stipend. Cannot have different amount for different schools or conferences or the divide will grow. Cannot have the star skill player for OSU or PSU making loads of money while the all american guard makes change, and the backup gets nothing. Kids at big schools get big money, while other schools don't. It doesn't work. Either it has to be fully professional or not. Can't base it on revenue because everyone would want to be at a school where they make the most. It's bagman plus. If professional, it's over and a new NFL farm league will have to emerge. Nobody has to play college football. You can wait three years, working out and working a job and then make yourself available for the NFL, then you wouldn't be used by anyone. Start a farm league for recent high school graduates, drop outs and project players. Then you have choice, make money playing football or get an education and learn to be a better person and football player, while playing in big stadiums and on national TV. I believe that most would choose college. Very few kids are man enough for the NFL right out of HS. Very few grown men would be man enough for the NFL. Give them a stipend and an opportunity to earn a degree, or to play for a pittance, before small crowds, in lousy venues with no TV. This system would only really be for the benefit of the kids who don't want to "play school". I think most players see the benefit of those 3 years.

Don't like it. Give all kids a set stipend. Cannot have different amount for different schools or conferences or the divide will grow. Cannot have the star skill player for OSU or PSU making loads of money while the all american guard makes change, and the backup gets nothing. Kids at big schools get big money, while other schools don't. It doesn't work. Either it has to be fully professional or not. Can't base it on revenue because everyone would want to be at a school where they make the most. It's bagman plus. If professional, it's over and a new NFL farm league will have to emerge. Nobody has to play college football. You can wait three years, working out and working a job and then make yourself available for the NFL, then you wouldn't be used by anyone. Start a farm league for recent high school graduates, drop outs and project players. Then you have choice, make money playing football or get an education and learn to be a better person and football player, while playing in big stadiums and on national TV. I believe that most would choose college. Very few kids are man enough for the NFL right out of HS. Very few grown men would be man enough for the NFL. Give them a stipend and an opportunity to earn a degree, or to play for a pittance, before small crowds, in lousy venues with no TV. This system would only really be for the benefit of the kids who don't want to "play school". I think most players see the benefit of those 3 years.
They already get a stipend.

Maybe, maybe not. Player's problem.
Think about how difficult it is for regular college students to stay on track academically. It's more difficult when you add the rigors of D1 athletics. Now think about transferring after 2-3 years. Some credits might not transfer, the kid has to adjust to a new academic situation while also adjusting to a new coaching situation with different playbooks. Some will handle it but it's gotta be a setback for most.

I don't like the "player's problem" theory. IMO that means we're OK with (ab)using players for the revenue sports without concern for their lives afterwards. Most aren't going to sign big professional contracts.

Think about how difficult it is for regular college students to stay on track academically. It's more difficult when you add the rigors of D1 athletics. Now think about transferring after 2-3 years. Some credits might not transfer, the kid has to adjust to a new academic situation while also adjusting to a new coaching situation with different playbooks. Some will handle it but it's gotta be a setback for most.

I don't like the "player's problem" theory. IMO that means we're OK with (ab)using players for the revenue sports without concern for their lives afterwards. Most aren't going to sign big professional contracts.

So a player, of his own volition, decides to make a decision that you don't like and the school is "abusing" him? More than a little paternalistic, aren't we?

If they start playing the players that actually make money, or perhaps the the players in the sports that make money, then I'm okay with it. The problem I have is that two sports make money and the rest lose money but they talk about paying the players in all sports.
Don't forget the inevitable Title IX lawsuits.

This kind of action is going to force about 40-50 FBS teams to eat at the little table.

Problem here is Johnny Utah get $$$$ for image, likeness etc. His blocking teammates not so much if not at all, said teammates pull a matador, unless compensated by the sponsor or Johnny Utah, if not, no mo Johnny Utah.

This kind of action is going to force about 40-50 FBS teams to eat at the little table.

Problem here is Johnny Utah get $$$$ for image, likeness etc. His blocking teammates not so much if not at all, said teammates pull a matador, unless compensated by the sponsor or Johnny Utah, if not, no mo Johnny Utah.

Does that happen in the NFL?

I imagine that an offensive lineman trying to do his best imitation of El Cordobes will draw the attention of his coaches and potential future employers, and not for his deft footwork.

So a player, of his own volition, decides to make a decision that you don't like and the school is "abusing" him? More than a little paternalistic, aren't we?

More like Paternoistic:

"Always remember you can only play football a few years, and if all you're getting out of college is 4 years of football you're being cheated. No matter where you decide to go to school make sure that you will gt an education that will enable you to have a happy and well rounded life."

Well, maybe not now, but if/when Congress gets involved, any resultant PC nonsense they draft will likely encourage the opening of Pandora's Title IX Box.

My understanding is that the NCAA is simply requesting limited anti-trust exemption in order to control NIL contracts.

So could Congress go beyond that and create something that violates a law that it already put on the books? Sure it could, but there's an easy way to fix that.

More like Paternoistic:

"Always remember you can only play football a few years, and if all you're getting out of college is 4 years of football you're being cheated. No matter where you decide to go to school make sure that you will gt an education that will enable you to have a happy and well rounded life."

Yeah, but Paterno ain't here no more.

Does that happen in the NFL?

I imagine that an offensive lineman trying to do his best imitation of El Cordobes will draw the attention of his coaches and potential future employers, and not for his deft footwork.
Sure does, know of a RB in summer camp NFL not getting the holes, he better liked back up got the holes. A case i guess where the coaches didn't care or didn't want to stir the pot . It is what it is , but it happens , and i know of two other stories with two different players.

Maybe, maybe not. Player's problem.
With the lead person in this from Ohio State how can any of this be trusted to be administered fairly and justly. It will make Cardell Jones’ infamous words “I didn’t come here to go to school, I come here to play football” seem like a light shining into darkness. The NCAA is totally impotent to control the cheating and illegal activity this will generate.

That player will see the pine. If he gets PO’d and hits the portal, you wish him luck and the next guy moves up.
It’s a new world and as the old saying goes you bend with the breeze or you break. Outside of the Ivies and a few others in 1A, school was never that important. Wish that was different but you buys your ticket and you takes your chances.
Understand. I just can't see this going well. Some schools will try to maintain compliance but others across the NCAA, whom shall go unnamed, will go all out to exploit this and those attempting to keep it under control will fall behind. No program including PSU is pristine but I believe they have always done an outstanding job. This is going to be hard to keep under control.

• players will have to have agents
  • QB's are going to do great but what about Centers and Guards?
  • Once agents are involved, how can you possibly control it?
  • How can schools compete? I mean, I love watching a Boise, TCU or Utah come alive. How can that happen in the new world? I mean, with transfer rules, wouldn't you immediately go to a big market school to maximize income?
I agree with you on the mixed emotions. college football, as we once knew it is over....and I don't know if that is good or bad. But what we once rooted for, kids emotional and dedicated to a university entity, is toast.
Well said. This is bad but it couldn’t be stopped. Now it becomes: Can it be controlled? Surely the marketable players will have to have an agent. Players were barred from having an agent. Will that agent now be able to help them with loans based on their projected income streams? They couldn’t do it based on getting drafted but now there’s NIL income streams.
This going to get worse before it gets even more worse for college athletics.

Sure does, know of a RB in summer camp NFL not getting the holes, he better liked back up got the holes. A case i guess where the coaches didn't care or didn't want to stir the pot . It is what it is , but it happens , and i know of two other stories with two different players.

Did the back up win the stating job? If he didn't, none of it means shit. And if he did, then you probably have a group of coaches who weren't around for long.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT