ADVERTISEMENT

Patriots....karma ‘tis a bit€h

Actually, both calls were correctly called. You stupid f'n Yinzers don't understand
the NFL Rules. Carry On. Ertz caught the ball took one step and then jumped. He
was a runner. Jesse was falling to the ground as he lunged across the goal line
Big difference. And, Clement never lost control of the ball. Unlike the Jets TE
and Buffalo WR.
I agree, however, I also believe Jesse's was a catch and a football move. Still photos clearly show the jesse was already down on the ground, pulled the ball into his chest and then lunged for the touchdown. Both the Eagles TDs and Jesse's were TDs.

Imho. Exact same play but they called one a wr and the other a rb. Fact is jj secured the ball by bringing it to his midsection before reaching it out over the goal one. That is a football move transitioning him from wr to rb

OMG, just read / saw that the Eagles got away with another play that wasn’t called. A pic of the formation on the Foles TD reception shows the Eagles clearly had five players off the line of scrimmage / in the backfield. Very obviously a missed call by the zebras.

They throw the flag, the Eagles would have kicked a FG. A huge game changer.
He checked in with the ref, so suck it.

Ball definitely moved with Clement.. was surprised it wasn't overturned. Ertz play was pretty clear. Not the same play as Jesse James no matter how much the Steelers fans want to compare it. Don't think the Pats got hosed but they didn't get any calls their way either. Eagles didn't really stop Brady considering he threw for 505.. the o-line and gutsy play calling on two huge 4th downs won it.
I do not understand why ball movement is automatically taken as not a catch. The ball always moves! The player must show CONTROL of the ball which I believe Clement did. This is just another example of how the league has become the nit picker league.

Are you guys actually all Penn State fans?
I am. I’m not sure why someone who doesn’t like the Steelers can’t be a Penn State fan. Seems to me Steeler fans should be Pitt fans as well (if we’re going to tie pro teams and college teams together).

Actually, and I say this with all sincerity, this young Eagles team has a nice run in front of it and could get to 6 before ne....brady and his magic elixir are just about out of time, and you guys traded away your future at QB.
My guess is NE will be back in the SB next year and the Eagles won’t be. There’s a reason dynasties are dynasties and others aren’t. This Eagles team won’t get anywhere near six...their players will start getting picked off by other teams just like all the other young SB winning teams.

Reactions: djr4rebs
I am. I’m not sure why someone who doesn’t like the Steelers can’t be a Penn State fan. Seems to me Steeler fans should be Pitt fans as well (if we’re going to tie pro teams and college teams together).

Many of us crossed Wanny's wall and headed 100 miles east for college.

I do not understand why ball movement is automatically taken as not a catch. The ball always moves! The player must show CONTROL of the ball which I believe Clement did. This is just another example of how the league has become the nit picker league.

Just looked like with Clement the ball was in his hands secure initially but then it slid to the crook of his arm. The slide made it look like he didn't have control briefly and that would've meant he didn't have both feet in while the ball was secure. Just thought the Eagles got a little lucky that it wasn't overturned as that kind of play has been overturned in the recent past.

Grew up on the Mon river was born 1970 and I have always been as Penn State fan, my Parents were as well. There are lots of us PSU fans in Western PA

Reactions: BBrown
He checked in with the ref, so suck it.
Five players off the line of scrimmage has nothing to do with checking in with the ref. If they had five players off the line, it's a penalty. If they didn't, it's a legitimate play.

Not sure why some people on this board can't disagree with some civility, but it sure seems as if the level of discourse on this board has deteriorated.

The idea of looking at these plays in super slo-motion is the real problem. As you said there is always some movement but that doesn't necessarily mean control has been lost.

Replay should be used to overturn obvious errors. If you sit and break a play down frame by frame you will always see something that seems off. I would love that if the replay official can't overturn in ten seconds the play stands as called.

Five players off the line of scrimmage has nothing to do with checking in with the ref. If they had five players off the line, it's a penalty. If they didn't, it's a legitimate play.

Not sure why some people on this board can't disagree with some civility, but it sure seems as if the level of discourse on this board has deteriorated.
Per Sports Illustrated:

"The way formation rules work, players can look over at a side judge or other official nearby to see if he’s in the permissible spot.

“I’m on the ball,” Jeffery said. “I pointed. What are you talking about? Man, you know I checked with the ref!”"

So, you can suck it, too.

Reactions: mtnlion
Per Sports Illustrated:

"The way formation rules work, players can look over at a side judge or other official nearby to see if he’s in the permissible spot.

“I’m on the ball,” Jeffery said. “I pointed. What are you talking about? Man, you know I checked with the ref!”"

So, you can suck it, too.
Congrats for doubling down on douchebaggery . . . and by the way, "checking with" and "checking in" are two different things -- the latter is what an interior lineman does on a play in which he's an eligible receiver. So in addition to being a DB, you are a poor communicator. And with that, I am done. Feel free to continue exposing your true self.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
One of the things that struck me was the Eagles play on second down with 2:03 left in the game. They ran the ball, after running on first down and planning to run on third down. But a pass would have been a great play because the clock was going to stop anyway at 2:00. This would have been a great opportunity to go for the TD or, if not wide open, to check down on someone to get the first down. At least they wouldn't have run it three plays in a row.

Congrats for doubling down on douchebaggery . . . and by the way, "checking with" and "checking in" are two different things -- the latter is what an interior lineman does on a play in which he's an eligible receiver. So in addition to being a DB, you are a poor communicator. And with that, I am done. Feel free to continue exposing your true self.
You sound insufferable. Go whine somewhere else.

My guess is NE will be back in the SB next year and the Eagles won’t be. There’s a reason dynasties are dynasties and others aren’t. This Eagles team won’t get anywhere near six...their players will start getting picked off by other teams just like all the other young SB winning teams.
But they have a young core and just won it all without their stud QB. They’re pretty nicely set up for a run.

As for the pats...belichick might be leaving (rift with owners), both coordinators are gone, rumors are swirling that Groot (aka their knucklehead TE) is considering retirement, brady’s fighting a losing battle with Father Time (regardless of his tb12 super diet/steroids), and their D needs a complete overhaul....in other words, the cliff is just ahead, and they’re about to fall off of it.

Last edited:
But they have a young core and just one it all without their stud QB. They’re pretty nicely set up for a run.

As for the pats...belichick might be leaving (rift with owners), both coordinators are gone, rumors are swirling that Groot (aka their knucklehead TE) is considering retirement, brady’s fighting a losing battle with Father Time (regardless of his tb12 super diet/steroids), and their D needs a complete overhaul....in other words, the cliff is just ahead, and they’re about to fall off of it.

The pre-Bledsoe Patriots were laughably bad. I wonder how far away they are from those days.

The pre-Bledsoe Patriots were laughably bad. I wonder how far away they are from those days.
Sooner than many up here care to think. Once B.B. leaves, the kraft clan will stumble to find his replacement with short leashes on anyone who can’t keep the magic going. The band wagoners will disappear, and their shiny mall will not be as full on Sundays, which will only perpetuate their coaching instability. Think 49ers circa 2000.

I see a PA superbowl next year, but right now it is and should be all about the Eagles

From 76-87 the Pats had as much physical talent as nearly any team in football. Haynes, Hannah, Francis, Cunningham, Morgan, Tippett, Clayborn
Nelson, Blackmon, Gray, etc. They were lacking three key ingredients to success

1. Stable ownership - The Sullivans were in over their heads and holdouts and unwillingness to pay really hurt some of those teams.
That's no longer a problem.

2. Coaching - Fairbanks left just when it appeared they were on the brink of being a contender. Couldn't find the right guy. Kraft
has hired; Pete Carroll and Belichick. Not too shabby. He inherited Parcells.

3. QB - Grogan was a tough SOB but limited in the passing game and Eason was a wuss. No doubt gonna be tough to
replace TB12. But, they did draft and develop Jimmy G who appears pretty good.

I agree, however, I also believe Jesse's was a catch and a football move. Still photos clearly show the jesse was already down on the ground, pulled the ball into his chest and then lunged for the touchdown. Both the Eagles TDs and Jesse's were TDs.

I agree but did it really matter?

Home field advantage is nice, but with Tomlin coaching, it doesn't matter.

He blew it against Jacksonville. Imagine what would have happened in a rematch with NE

He blew it against Jacksonville. Imagine what would have happened in a rematch with NE

As a Steeler fan, I always say that I don't have to worry about Tomlin getting outcoached. I know that is going to happen. I always hope the talent can overcome it.

Reactions: BBrown
How do the pats we get so wide open? They don't seem like the best athletes but made the eagles secondary look like the browns.

Steelers did have an opportunity to tie at the very least after the call was overturned until Ben forced the ball over the middle for the pick on 3rd down.. that whole replay time could've been used to figure out what to do on 2nd and 3rd down in case it wasn't complete. Steelers didn't control what they could control.

Imho. Exact same play but they called one a wr and the other a rb. Fact is jj secured the ball by bringing it to his midsection before reaching it out over the goal one. That is a football move transitioning him from wr to rb

Ver different plays IMO. Jesse caught the ball while in the act of going to the ground. Ertz wasn't going to the ground when he caught it. That difference completely changes what is required in order to complete the catch (Ertz didn't have to maintain through the ground, James did). There's no exception to having to maintain all the way through the ground based on whether a "football move" was made, so that's irrelevant. And "through the ground" has consistently been interpreted as essentially until your body comes to rest on the ground or you stand back up.

Hopefully they fix this in the offseason, because those rules are a joke, but I thought the distinction was clear and I was certain both plays would be called exactly as they were based on those differences.

Ver different plays IMO. Jesse caught the ball while in the act of going to the ground. Ertz wasn't going to the ground when he caught it. That difference completely changes what is required in order to complete the catch (Ertz didn't have to maintain through the ground, James did). There's no exception to having to maintain all the way through the ground based on whether a "football move" was made, so that's irrelevant. And "through the ground" has consistently been interpreted as essentially until your body comes to rest on the ground or you stand back up.

Hopefully they fix this in the offseason, because those rules are a joke, but I thought the distinction was clear and I was certain both plays would be called exactly as they were based on those differences.
its ok to disagree.

What is similar is that both players caught the ball. The "survive the ground" part is BS if you've established that you caught the ball. In JJ's case, he caught the ball, pulled it to his belly, and then reached out to have the ball cross the line before his knee hit. In both cases, they established that they had caught and controlled the ball.

In Erst's case, he was off balance, as well. It is simply opinion that he wasn't going to hit the ground and that he did or did not possess the ball.

The refs were correct both times.
However, I guarantee if the uniforms had been switched there would be all kinds of outrage about the Pats getting the calls. People see what they want to see. I had no dog in the fight and I think the dive was definitely a TD, the other one not so much.

I just don’t understand PS fans calling each other such awful names and making such rude statements to each other. Oh well, to each his own!

its ok to disagree.

What is similar is that both players caught the ball. The "survive the ground" part is BS if you've established that you caught the ball. In JJ's case, he caught the ball, pulled it to his belly, and then reached out to have the ball cross the line before his knee hit. In both cases, they established that they had caught and controlled the ball.

In Erst's case, he was off balance, as well. It is simply opinion that he wasn't going to hit the ground and that he did or did not possess the ball.

Fair enough if its your opinion Ertz was also in the process of going to the ground when he caught it, then those two plays are identical.

Unfortunately until they change the rule, JJ's play will always be called incomplete because he was definitely going to the ground when he caught it, so no amount of football moves while going down will change the fact that he had to continue to control all the way through the ground, which he did not.

Reactions: Obliviax
Oh how cute. Fans of the team that lost its first round game at home, spotting the lower seed 21 points think they're somehow relevant to a discussion about this year's Super Bowl.

I just don’t understand PS fans calling each other such awful names and making such rude statements to each other. Oh well, to each his own!
Unfortunately we have some on here that are never wrong and get angry when someone doesn’t agree with them. Hell, we have some that get angry about a person putting mayo on a sub (oops, sorry, a hoagie). :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT