ADVERTISEMENT

Pathetically I succumbed to the "ever known a murder victim" thread! Ever see some one get shot?

emertmakeshiteup

Feb 27, 2019
Over the years, I have not thought much about it or even talk with my family about it, however, as I age, I have noticed I think about all aspects of my legacy more and more, bad and good! The following continues to be as clear and vivid as watching something on TV! In Cambodia, May 70 on Shakey's Hill, I'm handing the radio hand set to sergeant S, who is to my left, as he turns right to hold it, he takes an AK47 round to the left temple. The image I can't delete, is his far head turning black and blue instantly! Two seconds later, a rocket propelled grenade hits a tree about two feet to my right and slightly behind me, it caused me to do the perfect backward somersault with all the weight on my back and the hill being very steep! Exactly like images I've seen of oil flowing out of the ground, with every heart beat, blood shot up and out of my arm about 1.5"! After 24 hrs of antibiotic IV I was back out. I had a great guardian angel as that was not my only close call. Lead still there and in my back, ha ha! I also had a strong will to live during those nine months, because I knew if died, it would have killed my parents. Between just living in a jungle, sometimes not even back to the fire base for as much as a month, and the constant knowledge that you are going to get ambushed again in the next 200 meters, was enough to begin to not give a rat's butt about your life!
My good memory legacy, beside my family (wife and four children all PSU :)) and ten grandchildren), is Lake Erie's Steelhead fishing, as I incubated the first Steelhead eggs flown in from Oregon, thus the program began!

Hard for any of us that did not go through combat to understand how that effects you. Very happy to hear that you were able to deal with it and have a happy and productive life!

My brother is a VN vet and went back a couple years ago. Was nervous about it but came back saying it was a great trip. People there were happy to see him and treated him with great respect.

Worked out great for him as it gave him some peace of mind. Don't know if this is for you or not. Everyone reacts differently.

Thank you for your service. VN vets were under appreciated and deserve great respect and gratitude.

And thanks for bringing Steelheads to Erie! They have had a major impact on local biz in the shore line areas. Never fished for them but plan to this fall.

Over the years, I have not thought much about it or even talk with my family about it, however, as I age, I have noticed I think about all aspects of my legacy more and more, bad and good! The following continues to be as clear and vivid as watching something on TV! In Cambodia, May 70 on Shakey's Hill, I'm handing the radio hand set to sergeant S, who is to my left, as he turns right to hold it, he takes an AK47 round to the left temple. The image I can't delete, is his far head turning black and blue instantly! Two seconds later, a rocket propelled grenade hits a tree about two feet to my right and slightly behind me, it caused me to do the perfect backward somersault with all the weight on my back and the hill being very steep! Exactly like images I've seen of oil flowing out of the ground, with every heart beat, blood shot up and out of my arm about 1.5"! After 24 hrs of antibiotic IV I was back out. I had a great guardian angel as that was not my only close call. Lead still there and in my back, ha ha! I also had a strong will to live during those nine months, because I knew if died, it would have killed my parents. Between just living in a jungle, sometimes not even back to the fire base for as much as a month, and the constant knowledge that you are going to get ambushed again in the next 200 meters, was enough to begin to not give a rat's butt about your life!
My good memory legacy, beside my family (wife and four children all PSU :)) and ten grandchildren), is Lake Erie's Steelhead fishing, as I incubated the first Steelhead eggs flown in from Oregon, thus the program began!
Is a ‘like’ the correct acknowledgment for this?? Thanks for sharing, glad you’re here to recount that

Was just reading about Cambodia operations. I take it you were under Eldon H. Erlenbach?

Never heard about Shakey's Hill so looked it up. Seems there is a movie about it. Here is the trailer. Don't watch if you don't want to.

Thank you for your service and the Steelhead! Did the Steelhead migrate to Lake Ontario or was there a similar program there?

That is horrifying. Can’t (and don’t want to) imagine a life where that type of tragedy is part of it. Thank you for what you endured to benefit the rest of us

Not a person but I’ve seen lots of these shot (and ate)
0d8gTEC.jpg

Never heard about Shakey's Hill so looked it up. Seems there is a movie about it. Here is the trailer. Don't watch if you don't want to.

I was aware of that but have not purchased it.
Was just reading about Cambodia operations. I take it you were under Eldon H. Erlenbach?
I was Charley Co. Honestly never heard of him! Be
I was in Charlie Co and never heard of him! You need to know you did not know anyone beyond your own company and not most of them. Our Co Commander lost his life one evening during or just before those operations. We were setting up for the evening and someone heard NVA talking. I assume they had no clue we were "in town!" Our platoon was right next to the CCs and he says, "Ok boys, looks like we are going to have to work for a living!" and just takes off. No organization or orders at all and gets killed. Shot in the back I heard! All deaths in combat are regrettable and a waste of life, however some more than others. His was one of two I always remember as such. The other one "hill billy's!" There were GIs like myself (drafted) who just wanted to do their job and get out of there. Then there were the type who I suspect was the kid in your neighborhood who, instead of wanting to go up to the park to play baseball, basketball or football, wanted to play war all of the time! Anyway,we had been in contact and it was over. Hillbilly states he sees movement and announces he is going to throw a frag. It hits a tree close enough to kill him!
Also, I thought it was in this thread about a Company Commander not caring but I could not find it. Anyway, I guess like all else in life, every one is different. The lieutenant that took over our Company after our Captain got killed initiated (I guess that is how to put it) me receiving an Army Commendation Medal for valor during the battle on Shakey's Hill.

Two last things! The coolest thing(s) about the Cambodia operation! All insertions into a new area of operations, were six ships (hueys) going back and forth until your until your unit was embedded. That mission, dozens of ships at one time in the sky and we are all hanging out giving each other the peace sign! I heard it was 64. I guess shock and ah! The other neat thing, we walked out crossing the Mekong River. Someone swam across it and tied a thick rope. We were in water up to our necks, holding the 16s and in my case also a 22lb secure radio, above the water!

My good memory legacy, beside my family (wife and four children all PSU :)) and ten grandchildren), is Lake Erie's Steelhead fishing, as I incubated the first Steelhead eggs flown in from Oregon, thus the program began![/QU
Thank you for your service.
thank you for your service.

Last edited:
Thank you for your service and the Steelhead! Did the Steelhead migrate to Lake Ontario or was there a similar program there?
I can't answer that, although knowing the success, both from fishing enthusiasm and success in Lake Erie and the hatcheries, that NY and/or Canada did!

Two last things! The coolest thing(s) about the Cambodia operation! All insertions into a new area of operations, were six ships (hueys) going back and forth until your until your unit was embedded. That mission, dozens of ships at one time in the sky and we are all hanging out giving each other the peace sign! I heard it was 64. I guess shock and ah! The other neat thing, we walked out crossing the Mekong River. Someone swam across it and tied a thick rope. We were in water up to our necks, holding the 16s and in my case also a 22lb secure radio, above the water!
You will never buy a drink in a bar with me.

Is a ‘like’ the correct acknowledgment for this?? Thanks for sharing, glad you’re here to recount that
I've often wondered about that. I finally decided that when someone posts about a difficult time in their lives, I appreciate ("like") the fact that they are willing to share the experience in such an open forum.

Saw a member of the Pagans MC get shot to death at a bluegrass festival in July or August 1978. His doberman attacked a St. Bernard being walked on a leash by a girl no taller than 5 feet. When she booted the doberman in the face to get it off her dog, the Pagan clubbed her down with his "walking stick," whereupon her boyfriend shot the Pagan with a .22 pistol once in the heart. It was enough.

Not shot, but fragged. And it was me. A grenade exploded two meters from my position and a fragment went through my right eye, through the floor of my right orbit, through my right maxillary sinus and lodged in the back of my neck. Got showered in the right leg, too. I swallowed a lot of blood that night. Ruined my plans for Thanksgiving weekend that year.

Not shot, but fragged. And it was me. A grenade exploded two meters from my position and a fragment went through my right eye, through the floor of my right orbit, through my right maxillary sinus and lodged in the back of my neck. Got showered in the right leg, too. I swallowed a lot of blood that night. Ruined my plans for Thanksgiving weekend that year.
Holy shoot! Happy you survived that one!

I have seen someone get stabbed right aside of me and my friends at Penn National over 40 years ago. My friends and I were standing in the paddocks looking at the horses and out of the blue this guy came up and stabbed this guy right aside of us. Talk about WTF moment. Every time we get together that story comes up.

You live in Newark or something DAMN BRO

Reactions: pandaczar12

Words can't describe my appreciation for what you sacrificed so that we can all live the way we do. Thank you.

Saw a woman stabbed by a crazed looking guy in a bar in Forks WA, near the Olympic National Rain Forest. 1980. We were on a camping trip, came off a trail head to get a beer and went back up another trail head that same day.

Guy walked in with a long narrow triangular piece of steel. He shivved the poor woman. After he stabbed her ... the bartender jumped over the bar with a bat and he and most of the customers chased the guy out of the bar.

5th of the 7th 1st Cav Div! Yep, Custers unit!
My unit didn't exist during Vietnam. There were Ranger companies, but not a Ranger Regiment. 1st Bn and 2d Bn were organized in the 70s and belonged directly to SOCOM. 3d Bn was organized in the 1980s and a regimental HQ was created at the same time and put in between the batts and SOCOM.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT