ADVERTISEMENT

Football Packers reporter calls Sean Clifford the "surprise of camp"

Practice is the same as game experience...lol
Have you ever played a sport in your life kiddo?
Unlike you, I played and coached the game. This year, marks the 51st consecutive year I have been employed as a football coach, athletic director or a public school athletics administrator. Fact. Not pretend.

It's completely different that Rattler. Rattler was benched because he was awful. Franklin would be stating why Clifford wasn't playing.

Coaches have tough decisions to make all the time. Playing Clifford probably didn't alter anything but I'm not angry about it. Just acknowledging there's another side. The fact people can't see that is...sadly predictable here as many, not you, want to live in the 70s and 80s forever.

You can develop depth without benching. Find me the interview where a coach has said such. It doesn't exist for a reason. It's a side just like "what if Franklin let you call plays", but isn't likely to occur.

Not everything has to be new and innovative. And cfb is far from the 70s and 80s.

Practice is the same as game experience...lol
Have you ever played a sport in your life kiddo?
Playing time is earned thru practice. If Allar deserved to start, as demonstrated in practice....he'd have been in there.

You can attack me all you want. Everyone knows we beat Rutgers with anyone at QB. Maybe not by the same score but Clifford wasn't the difference
Pregame speech," listen guys, we're benching Cliff and a few other starters today. We can beat Rutgers without them."
LOL PSU in the world of Lando Commando.
And you always play performance over potential.
Exactly. Undemonstrated potential isn't worth jack crap.

Reactions: mcpat
Unlike you, I played and coached the game. This year, marks the 51st consecutive year I have been employed as a football coach, athletic director or a public school athletics administrator. Fact. Not pretend.
Lol so you're in your 70s and stuck in the past. Gotcha.
And yes I played and coached hockey so good for you. Too bad you couldn't make it at a higher level.

Pregame speech," listen guys, we're benching Cliff and a few other starters today. We can beat Rutgers without them."
LOL PSU in the world of Lando Commando.

Exactly. Undemonstrated potential isn't worth jack crap.
Again, do we beat Rutgers without Clifford? Say he had the flu? How does Rutgers score enough on us to win? Come on "coach"

Right--if I was the coach I would have done that and I'm sure it would have upset seniors but I'm not worried about that. Recruits won't be thinking about "when I'm a senior I might get benched" they'll see it as a chance to play early. We're going to start seeing this happen more and more. We just won't be the team that starts that.

JPJ also basically benched himself.
Sometimes you make a lot of sense. This isn’t one of them.

Sometimes you make a lot of sense. This isn’t one of them.
That's fine. I have an NFL mentality with college football these days and I know that isn't popular. It's the same thing as seeing young QBs in the NFL play the final few games of the season to give them real game time for evaluation. There's absolutely no difference and with the portal the odds are well see it happening more and more. Not only to keep your guy happy but to see if he's good enough or if you need to find someone in the portal. Not saying its ideal just life in 2023.

Lol so you're in your 70s and stuck in the past. Gotcha.
And yes I played and coached hockey so good for you. Too bad you couldn't make it at a higher level.
You played and coached hockey? Where? How exactly does that qualify you as a football expert?
Yes, I only made it as far as a HS HFC. As such, I've actually built and coached teams thru success and failure. Incidentally, if you had ever sniffed even that, you would have a deep and abiding respect for just how talented, experienced and knowledgeable coaches like James Franklin are. Which would then result in realizing what a fool you are for suggesting you know how to make better coaching decisions.

Reactions: 81b&w
Let's remember...top recruits pick schools like Georgia and Bama despite their being elite players ahead of them but people really think top kids are going to be thinking about their senior year (which most won't even make it to if their good) when picking a school as a 17 year old?

That's fine. I have an NFL mentality with college football these days and I know that isn't popular. It's the same thing as seeing young QBs in the NFL play the final few games of the season to give them real game time for evaluation. There's absolutely no difference and with the portal the odds are well see it happening more and more. Not only to keep your guy happy but to see if he's good enough or if you need to find someone in the portal. Not saying its ideal just life in 2023.
You have an NFL mentality? LOL That would stand for "NOT FOR LONG" if you coached. Football.

You played and coached hockey? Where? How exactly does that qualify you as a football expert?
Yes, I only made it as far as a HS HFC. As such, I've actually built and coached teams thru success and failure. Incidentally, if you had ever sniffed even that, you would have a deep and abiding respect for just how talented, experienced and knowledgeable coaches like James Franklin are. Which would then result in realizing what a fool you are for suggesting you know how to make better coaching decisions.
Played high level junior hockey in Canada from 17-19. Coached in Canada.
Where did I say more knowledgeable than Franklin? Great coaches make mistakes. Elite coaches make mistakes
Your failed coaching career is why you're so defensive of other coaches. It makes sense. You know you aren't on their level so you pretend they do no wrong.

You have an NFL mentality? LOL That would stand for "NOT FOR LONG" if you coached. Football.
You're right. NFL coaches never bench starters for young kids after eliminated. Never has happened. I'm sorry for those you coached.

Let's remember...top recruits pick schools like Georgia and Bama despite their being elite players ahead of them but people really think top kids are going to be thinking about their senior year (which most won't even make it to if their good) when picking a school as a 17 year old?

Why didn't Saban bench Bryce after 2 losses? Would have helped with his QB situation this year.

Last year...did they bench their qb in the bowl....don't remember
You probably already know my stance on this...bowl games are scrimmages. If we playee Allar the last 3 games of the season playing Clifford in the bowl game as a reward for his tenure with us would have made sense. I can't even begin to explain how little meaning I think bowls have.

Why didn't Saban bench Bryce after 2 losses? Would have helped with his QB situation this year.
Because they were still alive to make the playoff with 2 losses and Saban thought they'd get in. Saban probably still think they should have been the 4th team.

Young also wasn't a senior

We realize a 2 loss Bama >>>>>>>> a 2 loss Penn State. Right? Another issue with a 4 or even 12 team playoff

But it isn’t the NFL, which doesn’t have to recruit and has players under contract and subject to franchise tags

Start benching seniors after two losses and recruiting tanks. Especially with O linemen that take time to develop. Most kids don’t get serious PT until Jr/Sr seasons and they know that. And if they know they will probably play only half their senior season they will either not enroll originally or all transfer out after their Jr year…. no matter how much they play. Why risk be benched when they know they will get a full season of PT elsewhere,

Some kids need time to grow. Others have injuries to overcome. Some get stuck behind superstars and only get that senior season. Put that at risk you destroy recruiting.

Three QBs have been the starter at PSU under CJF. All three were drafted. So was a 4th that he coached for a few years before he transferred. No way benching your senior starting QB is a better selling point to recruits than having all your starting QBs get drafted.

You probably already know my stance on this...bowl games are scrimmages. If we playee Allar the last 3 games of the season playing Clifford in the bowl game as a reward for his tenure with us would have made sense. I can't even begin to explain how little meaning I think bowls have.
Okay, you always twist yourself into a pretzel...so why didn't Nick bench Young after the 2nd loss?

But it isn’t the NFL, which doesn’t have to recruit and has players under contract and subject to franchise tags

Start benching seniors after two losses and recruiting tanks. Especially with O linemen that take time to develop. Most kids don’t get serious PT until Jr/Sr seasons and they know that. And if they know they will probably play only half their senior season they will either not enroll originally or all transfer out after their Jr year…. no matter how much they play. Why risk be benched when they know they will get a full season of PT elsewhere,

Some kids need time to grow. Others have injuries to overcome. Some get stuck behind superstars and only get that senior season. Put that at risk you destroy recruiting.
I disagree that most kids don't get serious playing time until their final 2 years. I do agree that some take time to develop but the plan isn't to lose 2 games. You just go to that when you're eliminated. Fortunately that becomes 3 after this year maybe even 4.

Because they were still alive to make the playoff with 2 losses and Saban thought they'd get in. Saban probably still think they should have been the 4th team.

We realize a 2 loss Bama >>>>>>>> a 2 loss Penn State. Right? Another issue with a 4 or even 12 team playoff
LOL...he didn't think Young was leaving? You are such a fraud.

Three QBs have been the starter at PSU under CJF. All three were drafted. So was a 4th that he coached for a few years before he transferred. No way benching your senior starting QB is a better selling point to recruits than having all your starting QBs get drafted.
The assumption that he doesn't get drafted is false.

LOL...he didn't think Young was leaving? You are such a fraud.
Was Young a senior? Yes or no?
Yes, he knew he was leaving but the scenario isn't the same nor was Bama eliminated. They finished 5th I belive. Cincinnati loses and they're in.

This is not the nfl.

No 2 loss team has made the 4 team playoff. Young wasn't a senior? So? He was NFL bound. He wasn't returning for '23.

Maybe Franklin thought we'd still get in.

What if Michigan and OSU lost some games late. Nobody expected Michigan to lose to Iowa in '16.

That's why you keep on playing. It's about winning the next game. With the portal, 69 players can leave immediately. This isn't the pros where during a 4-13 season you benefit in the draft by continuing to lose and audition the depth. Those guys have contracts as well meaning they can't just leave for playing time elsewhere without a trade.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Cincinnati loses and they're in.

Cincinnati? Wrong year. They played Bama in the playoff their undefeated regular season year.

You are literally making an argument that is "another side" then straying from it for non-PSU teams. At least be consistent.

No 2 loss team has made the 4 team playoff. Young wasn't a senior? So? He was NFL bound. He wasn't returning for '23.

Maybe Franklin thought we'd still get in.

What if Michigan and OSU lost some games late. Nobody expected Michigan to lose to Iowa in '16.

That's why you keep on playing. It's about winning the next game. With the portal, 69 players can leave immediately. This isn't the pros where during a 4-13 season you benefit in the draft by continuing to lose and audition the depth. Those guys have contracts as well meaning they can't just leave for playing time elsewhere without a trade.
Where did we finish in the final rankings? Where did Bama? Let's be real.
If Franklin thought we could make the playoff at 10-2 then so be it though I don't believe he's that stupid.
I mean, you started with "No 2 loss team has made the playoff" then finished with "that's why you keep playing". Right, kids can leave and you can sign other kids. Best way to keep the kids is to get them playing time. Best way to determine what you need in the portal is to play those that will be next year.
I'm fine with people disliking this approach but we're going to see it. Maybe not from Franklin but from other programs around the country.

Cincinnati? Wrong year. They played Bama in the playoff their undefeated regular season year.

You are literally making an argument that is "another side" then straying from it for non-PSU teams. At least be consistent.
Wow--yeah, my bad with the Cincinnati thing.
I'm not making an different argument. Alabama alive throughout the season--every single person here knew we were done with our second loss.
I'd say the same about Kentucky and Levis for example. Bama is just a poor example.

This is not the nfl.
It's heading in that direction and gets closer each day.
I'm not saying anyone has to like it but people need to start preparing for it.
I think everyone's completely wrong about the impact on recruiting. Prime can run off an entire program and kids still want to play for him.

It's heading in that direction and gets closer each day.
I'm not saying anyone has to like it but people need to start preparing for it.
I think everyone's completely wrong about the impact on recruiting. Prime can run off an entire program and kids still want Can you just go somewhere else>

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT