ADVERTISEMENT

Football Packers reporter calls Sean Clifford the "surprise of camp"

Right--if I was the coach I would have done that and I'm sure it would have upset seniors but I'm not worried about that. Recruits won't be thinking about "when I'm a senior I might get benched" they'll see it as a chance to play early. We're going to start seeing this happen more and more. We just won't be the team that starts that.

JPJ also basically benched himself.
You'd be a coach when hell freezes over.

Right--if I was the coach I would have done that and I'm sure it would have upset seniors but I'm not worried about that. Recruits won't be thinking about "when I'm a senior I might get benched" they'll see it as a chance to play early. We're going to start seeing this happen more and more. We just won't be the team that starts that.

You assume a lot when it's your idea. You call out assumptions when others share ideas.

Recruits definitely will notice such. Imagine Scruggs being benched so Dawkins could start at Center. Probably tanks his draft status. Recruits won't notice that?

JPJ, wasn't he injured/sick? Appendectomy I think. But you think he benched himself, which he could have, but again, you state it as fact while arguing similarly stated things yourself.

Not a problem. If he shits the bed, you bench him and get the team ready for next year. 😏
If he wasn't going to be back that's true
See--the problem is you think we don't win out with Allar at QB and it's somehow punting the season. We didn't need Clifford to win those games

imagine the recruiting pitch of telling a young player that he might be benched after being a two year starter because you're prepping a younger guy who isn't as ready right now but you really really want to potentially win next year after the recruit is gone

everybody loves hearing that!

check it out mom and dad! we toss kids to the wayside whenever we lose a couple games!

You assume a lot when it's your idea. You call out assumptions when others share ideas.

Recruits definitely will notice such. Imagine Scruggs being benched so Dawkins could start at Center. Probably tanks his draft status. Recruits won't notice that?

JPJ, wasn't he injured/sick? Appendectomy I think. But you think he benched himself, which he could have, but again, you state it as fact while arguing similarly stated things yourself.
Why would it hurt his draft status? Scruggs got drafted as high as he did based on workouts. Even most here were shocked.
Did JPJ not indicate he was going to prepare for the draft before our season was over? If I got that wrong then I take that comment back.

imagine the recruiting pitch of telling a young player that he might be benched after being a two year starter because you're prepping a younger guy who isn't as ready right now but you really really want to potentially win next year after the recruit is gone

check it out mom and dad! we toss kids to the wayside whenever we lose a couple games!
Who is saying that in the recruiting pitch? The recruiting pitch is you'll get to play early.

Thank the Dear Lord you are not the coach.😇

Reactions: marshall23

The voices in his head are his facts

Why would it hurt his draft status? Scruggs got drafted as high as he did based on workouts. Even most here were shocked.
Did JPJ not indicate he was going to prepare for the draft before our season was over? If I got that wrong then I take that comment back.

Why didn't Spencer Rattler turn pro after he was benched for Caleb Williams? He was preseason #1 NFL prospect.

Scruggs wasn't mentioned as some combine freak was he? I'm going to guess his film got him drafted as much or more than anything.

Coach Lando Commando plan for sustained success

If he wasn't going to be back that's true
See--the problem is you think we don't win out with Allar at QB and it's somehow punting the season. We didn't need Clifford to win those games
"We?" We didn’t need you, that's for sure.

Why didn't Spencer Rattler turn pro after he was benched for Caleb Williams? He was preseason #1 NFL prospect.

Scruggs wasn't mentioned as some combine freak was he? I'm going to guess his film got him drafted as much or more than anything.
Did you watch Rattler play that year? There's a difference getting benched for play then this scenario.

Ryans said repeatedly following the draft that Scruggs stood out in his pro day which is what pushed them to take him early. Not sure why you think his positive film disappears.

The reality people still look at college football as it was played decades ago...its moving towards pro football and we're going to see teams focus on preparing younger players, especially with the portal, once they're out of the playoff race when it expands. No one has to like it but don't comprehending that is terrifying.

You need new material.
Do we need Clifford to win those games?
Yes. He gave PSU the best chance to win. That's why he played. If the staff felt he was better than Cliff, he'd have started. The judgement was made by people who know what they're doing. Not some internet wanna be corporate lawyer/ pretend football coach.

Did you watch Rattler play that year? There's a difference getting benched for play then this scenario.

Ryans said repeatedly following the draft that Scruggs stood out in his pro day which is what pushed them to take him early. Not sure why you think his positive film disappears.

The reality people still look at college football as it was played decades ago...its moving towards pro football and we're going to see teams focus on preparing younger players, especially with the portal, once they're out of the playoff race when it expands. No one has to like it but don't comprehending that is terrifying.
The reality is....you make up shit as you go along. It's only frightening if you actually believe the crap you say.

Yes. He gave PSU the best chance to win. That's why he played. If the staff felt he was better than Cliff, he'd have started. The judgement was made by people who know what they're doing. Not some internet wanna be corporate lawyer/ pretend football coach.
Penn State needed Cliffortd to win those games? Yes or no?

The reality is....you make up shit as you go along. It's only frightening if you actually believe the crap you say.
This is you not being able to intelligently respond. You don't have to agree with me. It's fine that you don't. But to believe playing the younger guys when your season is over (2 losses it's over for all teams) is truly frightening. It already happens a lot...just not usually at QB. With the portal it's more important than ever to keep the younger players happy. Reality.

This is you not being able to intelligently respond. You don't have to agree with me. It's fine that you don't. But to believe playing the younger guys when your season is over (2 losses it's over for all teams) is truly frightening. It already happens a lot...just not usually at QB. With the portal it's more important than ever to keep the younger players happy. Reality.
You saying it happens a lot, means nothing.

Tell me when somebody spins your version of getting benched as a positive. You talk like it's a Playstation game and you get attribute increases for playing somebody. Kind of like Deion and Chip. It's out of the box thinking, sure. But you can do it once. If your young kids don't win, you get fired. You don't get to use the card twice.

And you think Ryans isn't concerned when Scruggs gets benched for Dawkins at week 7? If not, why do any of these kids play past year 2? Just go to pro days.

Oh. Because it's a gamble. The percent who get drafted is low enough.

Again, what message does it send when you bench a guy? Clifford's last game on your staff, he throws 4 picks. Highly doubt GB takes him where they did coming off that benching just because you say "Allar needs reps for next year."

Tell me when somebody spins your version of getting benched as a positive. You talk like it's a Playstation game and you get attribute increases for playing somebody. Kind of like Deion and Chip. It's out of the box thinking, sure. But you can do it once. If your young kids don't win, you get fired. You don't get to use the card twice.

And you think Ryans isn't concerned when Scruggs gets benched for Dawkins at week 7? If not, why do any of these kids play past year 2? Just go to pro days.

Oh. Because it's a gamble. The percent who get drafted is low enough.

Again, what message does it send when you bench a guy? Clifford's last game on your staff, he throws 4 picks. Highly doubt GB takes him where they did coming off that benching just because you say "Allar needs reps for next year."
We've literally seen a QB never start a game in college be drafted before. Team draft talent. If you believe the final 5 games of Clifford's career is why he was drafted thats great. You're entitled to that. I don't buy that for a second but I acknowledge that's an opinion.

And it's not a "Playstation Game". Coaches have to worry about what's best for them. Allar getting more snaps would have been ideal. Franklin went with loyalty instead. Hopefully it doesn't hurt us this year.

You're a total asshole and must not get much fun out of life

We've literally seen a QB never start a game in college be drafted before. Team draft talent. If you believe the final 5 games of Clifford's career is why he was drafted thats great. You're entitled to that. I don't buy that for a second but I acknowledge that's an opinion.

And it's not a "Playstation Game". Coaches have to worry about what's best for them. Allar getting more snaps would have been ideal. Franklin went with loyalty instead. Hopefully it doesn't hurt us this year.
If Allar "hurts us" it's because he isn't as good as his 5 star reviews. You are already making excuses for him. Perhaps you should go hold hands with Wallace Breen.

Reactions: lazydave841
I’m not a football coach, but I’m thinking starting Clifford, winning 11 games, giving true Freshman Allar playing time, having Clifford get drafted and being lauded in the NFL preseason thus far worked out really well for 2022, 2023 and the future. Recruits like to go to schools that send players to the NFL, I’m guessing.

I’m not a football coach, but I’m thinking starting Clifford, winning 11 games, giving true Freshman Allar playing time, having Clifford get drafted and being lauded in the NFL preseason thus far worked out really well for 2022, 2023 and the future. Recruits like to go to schools that send players to the NFL, I’m guessing.
We'll see how 2023 plays out...hopefully you're right.

If Allar "hurts us" it's because he isn't as good as his 5 star reviews. You are already making excuses for him. Perhaps you should go hold hands with Wallace Breen.
Excuses? If Allar sucks thats on Allar.
Doesn't mean Franklin couldn't have done more to prepare him or anyone else.

Ending his career on a win streak definitely helped him. The guy wasn't invited to the combine for goodness sake. Getting benched after a multi turnover game wasn't going to help matters. You don't have to agree but it's no different than Rattler. Yet you say that's why he didn't turn pro.

If Franklin was better than 4-5, 7-6 the previous 2 years, he might have considered Allar over Clifford after 2 losses. However, coaches look out for themselves. He needed a good season. Clifford nearly guaranteed it. Allar might have done it better or worse or blew out his knee or gotten sacked 20 times behind our 2nd string OL. If he struggles, do you then play Pribula? Do you hit the portal? Does Allar stay if you do?

Ending his career on a win streak definitely helped him. The guy wasn't invited to the combine for goodness sake. Getting benched after a multi turnover game wasn't going to help matters. You don't have to agree but it's no different than Rattler. Yet you say that's why he didn't turn pro.

If Franklin was better than 4-5, 7-6 the previous 2 years, he might have considered Allar over Clifford after 2 losses. However, coaches look out for themselves. He needed a good season. Clifford nearly guaranteed it. Allar might have done it better or worse or blew out his knee or gotten sacked 20 times behind our 2nd string OL. If he struggles, do you then play Pribula? Do you hit the portal? Does Allar stay if you do?
It's completely different that Rattler. Rattler was benched because he was awful. Franklin would be stating why Clifford wasn't playing.

Coaches have tough decisions to make all the time. Playing Clifford probably didn't alter anything but I'm not angry about it. Just acknowledging there's another side. The fact people can't see that is...sadly predictable here as many, not you, want to live in the 70s and 80s forever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT