ADVERTISEMENT

Outcome Saturday depends on the O more than the D.

tboyer

Sep 25, 2002
The defense might be really bad on Saturday. Let's assume the worst case -- that they are as lost as they were in the first half of the Pitt game in 2016.

What really has to be better than 2016 is the offense.

For them to win, the offense needs to execute and sustain drives and keep the PSU D off the field as much a possible, especially in the 1st half. And then when the Pitt D gets tired in the 2nd half, they need to use their speed and light up the scoreboard.

I think they can do it. Pitt has good players but they have soft spots on their D. I'd be willing to bet they don't have corners like Clifton Duck and Tae Hayes.

PSU has a huge and experienced line, three excellent running backs, one of the country's best QBs, experienced receivers like JJ, Polk and Thompkins, and crazy speed in Hamler and Slade.

If this offense, with all this talent and experience, sputters in the first half, that is playing with fire in this game. Pitt is not to be toyed with.

McSorley and that O need to play the 1st quarter like it's the last 2 minutes of the biggest game of the year. They need to be locked on and perfect. They need to play like they're behind. And then they need to keep concentration and do the same in the 2nd quarter.

The way this D is playing, you could see Pitt scoring 21 or 28 points in the 2nd half once the PSU D gets winded. So PSU needs to have a 21 point lead and STILL score in the 4th quarter, and then they probably win the game.

Last edited:
The defense might be really bad on Saturday. Let's assume the worst case -- that they are as lost as they were in the first half of the Pitt game in 2016.

What really has to be better than 2016 is the offense.

That offense needs to execute and sustain drives and keep the PSU D off the field as much a possible, especially in the 1st half. And then when the Pitt D gets tired in the 2nd half, they need to use their speed and light up the scoreboard.

I think they can do it. Pitt has good players but they have soft spots on their D. I'd be willing to bet they don't have corners like Clifton Duck and Tae Hayes.

Geez, PSU has a huge and experienced line, three excellent running backs, one of the country's best QBs, experienced receivers like JJ, Polk and Thompkins, and crazy speed in Hamler and Slade.

If this offense, with all this talent and experience, sputters in the first half, that is playing with fire in this game. Pitt is not to be toyed with. McSorley and that O need to play the 1st quarter like it's the last 2 minutes of the biggest game of the year. They need to be locked on and perfect. They need to play like they're behind. And then they need to keep concentration and do the same in the 2nd quarter.

The way this D is playing, you could see Pitt scoring 21 or 28 points in the 2nd half once the PSU D gets winded. So PSU needs to have a 21 point lead and STILL score in the 4th quarter, and then they probably win the game.

The D is going to be what it is. It's not pretty, it's going to be better, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect it to be a whole lot better in 7 days. It will really ugly for the 2nd consecutive week if Kevin "Hope so" Givens doesn't get himself back in the lineup.

At this point the game is on the offense. McSorley knows it, Rahne knows it. They not only should be a lot better in the 1st half, they CAN be a lot better. They need to play scared, because every single point scored early in the game is going to be needed late in the game.

This really is the super bowl. Then they get two weeks to try to build some things and really fix problems before the Buckeyes come to town. This week is very dangerous.
Psu is going to get everybody's best shot.Thats just the way it is now and let's hope it continues

Psu is going to get everybody's best shot.Thats just the way it is now and let's hope it continues

Yup. It doesn't get easier. You get to be a top 10 program, you have to play like a top 10 program every week or real soon you are no longer a top 10 program.

Why would you want them to play scared? I want them to play with confidence and a sense of purpose -- on a mission to crush Pitt.

By scared, I mean I hope they play with the mentality that they have to score every time they have the ball.

Because, the way the D is playing, they might have to. This is not the time to be patient on offense and hope for a defensive struggle. Because this defense will not win a defensive struggle against much of anybody.

By scared, I mean I hope they play with the mentality that they have to score every time they have the ball.

Because, the way the D is playing, they might have to. This is not the time to be patient on offense and hope for a defensive struggle. Because this defense will not win a defensive struggle against much of anybody.
You do realize the defense gave up 3 points in three quarters and the overtime. It’s not like App State scored at will all game long. Yes, they had a huge breakdown in the 4th quarter, but they still basically shut them out for three quarters and an OT. I was much more concerned after what Michigan did to them two years ago then they came back and won the conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT