ADVERTISEMENT

Our visit to West Lafayette

Wandering Spectator

Dec 17, 2017
Chandler, AZ
www.wanderingspectator.com
TLDR; It's a solid campus with some cool history and traditions. Decent campus bars and unique eats. Friendly fans and an overall great experience for us.

Thank you for the very nice write up.

My trip to Purdue was in October of 1995 for a game that featured Mike Alstott running all over us for most of the game, but like Saturday, us pulling out a win on a very fortunate "possession before fumbling" TD catch by Bobby Engram followed up by a perfectly designed screen to Mike Archie to win it.

My sister lived in Chicago and we parked in front of a flop house rowhome apartment that was the younger brother of a work colleague of hers. Beers on the porch with them then walked a few minutes to the stadium.

No campus tour or bars afterwards...it was a windy gray day in Northern Indiana (like most I'm told) and we decided to head back to Chicago quickly.

Now that we are empty nesters I'm intrigued to maybe go back.

Thanks again!

One error I just recognized is that I said the most recent game was on "Saturday" ...duh it was Thursday...old habits : )

Second thing that is odd is West Lafayette is part of a swath that doesn't do daylight savings time. I don't recall the specifics but going from Chicago it wasn't as simple as the difference between Central and Eastern timezones. We somehow thought that we had more time than we did when we arrived but had to hustle to the stadium. It was weird...anyone going who stays in Chicago should just be aware and plan.

There was no Google at the time! Incredible..to think how different the world was then....doesn't seem that long ago.

Thank you for the very nice write up.

My trip to Purdue was in October of 1995 for a game that featured Mike Alstott running all over us for most of the game, but like Saturday, us pulling out a win on a very fortunate "possession before fumbling" TD catch by Bobby Engram followed up by a perfectly designed screen to Mike Archie to win it.

My sister lived in Chicago and we parked in front of a flop house rowhome apartment that was the younger brother of a work colleague of hers. Beers on the porch with them then walked a few minutes to the stadium.

No campus tour or bars afterwards...it was a windy gray day in Northern Indiana (like most I'm told) and we decided to head back to Chicago quickly.

Now that we are empty nesters I'm intrigued to maybe go back.

Thanks again!
man was Alstott great to watch, what a player

We had the same problem with daylight savings years ago when PSU played Indiana in Indianapolis. We made the game OK but the next day - between our time, watching Chicago TV stations at the hotel, we arrived to tour the Indy Speedway an hour before it opened. At least we were first inside !!

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
We had the same problem with daylight savings years ago when PSU played Indiana in Indianapolis. We made the game OK but the next day - between our time, watching Chicago TV stations at the hotel, we arrived to tour the Indy Speedway an hour before it opened. At least we were first inside !!
LOL. I once had a business meeting in Indiana. As it turns out, part of the state recognizes daylight savings time and some don't (areas close to Chicago follow Chicago time while the rest is EST). We didn't know if the meeting, while in Indiana, was in Central or Eastern time. So we showed up at 8 eastern, 7 central. When we got there, my phone showed it to be Eastern time, my coworker's phone showed Central. My phone was Verizon, his was At&T. We actually stopped at a gas station to ask what time it was. Turns out the Verizon and AT&T used different towers. It was crazy.

LOL. I once had a business meeting in Indiana. As it turns out, part of the state recognizes daylight savings time and some don't (areas close to Chicago follow Chicago time while the rest is EST). We didn't know if the meeting, while in Indiana, was in Central or Eastern time. So we showed up at 8 eastern, 7 central. When we got there, my phone showed it to be Eastern time, my coworker's phone showed Central. My phone was Verizon, his was At&T. We actually stopped at a gas station to ask what time it was. Turns out the Verizon and AT&T used different towers. It was crazy.
To add to the confusion, there is a 3rd time zone in Southern Indiana that follows Louisville time.

One error I just recognized is that I said the most recent game was on "Saturday" ...duh it was Thursday...old habits : )

Second thing that is odd is West Lafayette is part of a swath that doesn't do daylight savings time. I don't recall the specifics but going from Chicago it wasn't as simple as the difference between Central and Eastern timezones. We somehow thought that we had more time than we did when we arrived but had to hustle to the stadium. It was weird...anyone going who stays in Chicago should just be aware and plan.

There was no Google at the time! Incredible..to think how different the world was then....doesn't seem that long ago.
I was at that game also! Stayed in Ft. Wayne and an easy drive to the campus. Remember it not being that crowded. State pulled it out but it was a tight one. Lando Commando would have been furious on how close it was as we should drub Purdue every year according to his standards.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT