ADVERTISEMENT

Other than JVP, who are your top CFB coaches all-time?

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
Other than Joseph Vincent Paterno, who are your top five to ten college football coaches all-time? I understand if you choose only those in your lifetime.

Some to ponder:
Bear
Nick
Urban
Woody
Osborne
Bowden
Switzer
Spurrier
Jimmy Johnson
Royal
Stoops
McKay
Carroll
Tressel
Rockne
Leahy
Parseghian
Holtz

Other than Joseph Vincent Paterno, who are your top five to ten college football coaches all-time? I understand if you choose only those in your lifetime.

Some to ponder:
Bear
Nick
Urban
Woody
Osborne
Bowden
Switzer
Spurrier
Jimmy Johnson
Royal
Stoops
McKay
Carroll
Tressel
Rockne
Leahy
Parseghian
Holtz

Throw Bob Devaney (Nebraska) into the mix. Bud Wilkinson (Oklahoma) has to be in the discussion. Two other guys who put very good programs together despite Alabama's strength during the Bear Bryant era: Shug Jordan at Auburn and Charles McClendon at LSU. Frank Broyles at Arkansas as well.

Reactions: m48tank

Some to ponder:
Bear
Nick
Urban
Woody
Osborne
Bowden
Switzer
Spurrier
Jimmy Johnson
Royal
Stoops
McKay
Carroll
Tressel
Rockne
Leahy
Parseghian
Holtz

No Bud Wilinson??? HIs lifetime college record (all at Oklahoma prior to taking NFL HC job with Vikings) was 145-29-4 (a winning % of 83.33% not including the ties!!!). He had a 47 game win streak that went through 5 seasons in 1953 through 1957 that included three undefeated, untied seasons sandwiched between a 9-1-1 season in 1953 in which Oklahoma won all of it's last 9 games and a 10-1 season in 1957 in which #1 Oklahoma (and 3-time defending MNC) won its first 7 games before losing to undefeated and #2 ranked Notre Dame in its 8th game by a score of 7-0. Oklahoma would go on to win the remainder of its games including the 1958 Orange Bowl and finish the 1957 Season 10-1!

I only gave this a little thought so I might have missed someone obvious.

First, gotta have at least 2 National Championships, so Jimmy and Petey (although great coaches) are out.

Second - I made mine post-WWII, except Frank Leahy was so brilliant I had to throw him in there.

So my list (not in order) is something like this . . .

Bear
Switzer
Saban
Meyer
Bowden
Hayes
Leahy
Wilkerson
McKay

That's 9. We know who the 10th coach is.

Warner and Stagg, would be a good place to start. Bryant, Paterno, Rockne et al came later and built upon the foundation they started. College football didn't just start in the mid 20th century, if you're a real fan, take the time to study the origins of the sport, not just the recent history. You would be amazed to find out that most if not all of how the game is played today was being done 100 years ago. People came along and tweaked things, but basically the game hasn't changed in the last century notably the players have gotten bigger and faster.

Throw Bob Devaney (Nebraska) into the mix. Bud Wilkinson (Oklahoma) has to be in the discussion. Two other guys who put very good programs together despite Alabama's strength during the Bear Bryant era: Shug Jordan at Auburn and Charles McClendon at LSU. Frank Broyles at Arkansas as well.

McClendon either was from or had close relatives from NE PA.

Please note: I wrote "some" to ponder it was not the list to choose from by any means and yes Wilkinson would be in most if not all top 10 lists.

Lists gentlemen, lists.....it's one thing to throw out names another to list them.

FCL, Petey did win two NC's at USC, one play away from winning three in a row.

Please note: I wrote "some" to ponder it was not the list to choose from by any means and yes Wilkinson would be in most if not all top 10 lists.

Lists gentlemen, lists.....it's one thing to throw out names another to list them.

FCL, Petey did win two NC's at USC, one play away from winning three in a row.
You're right - he had the split title with LSU. #1 in the AP Poll and #1 in USAT/ESPN Poll and didn't get into the BCS title game. The BCS was such a crock.

If I put Pete in there though, who do I kick out? There's a lot of heavy hitters. Carroll was certainly a better coach then Bowden, but Pete spent so many years in the NFL it's kinda unfair to eliminate BB.

Some to ponder:
Bear
Nick
Urban
Woody
Osborne
Bowden
Switzer
Spurrier
Jimmy Johnson
Royal
Stoops
McKay
Carroll
Tressel
Rockne
Leahy
Parseghian
Holtz

Bill Snyder, Lavelle Edwards, and Mark Richt have my votes too.

Reactions: m48tank
I like coaches that insist their student athletes go to class and be part of the college experience, while preparing them for life after football. I don't see many of those on your list.

I always liked Jack Bicknell fwiw.

Some to ponder:
Bear
Nick
Urban
Woody
Osborne
Bowden
Switzer
Spurrier
Jimmy Johnson
Royal
Stoops
McKay
Carroll
Tressel
Rockne
Leahy
Parseghian
Holtz

Chuck Knox (my high school coach at Ellwood City PA) and 3X AP NFL Coach of the year (1970, 1980, 1984) and Vince Lombardi

You're right - he had the split title with LSU. #1 in the AP Poll and #1 in USAT/ESPN Poll and didn't get into the BCS title game. The BCS was such a crock.

If I put Pete in there though, who do I kick out? There's a lot of heavy hitters. Carroll was certainly a better coach then Bowden, but Pete spent so many years in the NFL it's kinda unfair to eliminate BB.

Exactly my point FCL. So many are quick to point out names, this guy should be in, that guy should be in, but when it comes down to it they don't make a list. Thank you for doing so.

It's easy to throw out names, but when it comes down to making a list, that requires analytical thinking and some decision making which evidently is too much to ask for.

If I said the top 10 college running backs all-time are (in no order): Simpson, Campbell, Griffin, Dorsett, Allen, Walker, Bo Jackson, Sanders, Dayne and Ricky Williams and someone else said, "You have to include Barkley." That's fine, but tell me who Barkley is replacing of that list so now a comparison can be made and that judgment can be discussed and questioned.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Chuck Knox (my high school coach at Ellwood City PA) and 3X AP NFL Coach of the year (1970, 1980, 1984) and Vince Lombardi
You were a Wolverine? As a former Freedom Bulldog, I played at Ellwood City one Friday night many years ago...loved that stadium. Don't remember all of the details, but I think I just liked the way it blended in with the town. Weren't the locker rooms under the bleachers? Also, didn't your helmets emulate Michigan's? Great memories.

Reactions: Roethlisberge
Frank Kush from my hometown passed away this summer. My wife and I presented a greeting card from the citizens of Windber, PA after the 1977 Fiesta Bowl. Frank and his wife could not have been more gracious, inviting us into their home, after a tough loss while packing for a ski holiday. RIP Frank!

Exactly my point FCL. So many are quick to point out names, this guy should be in, that guy should be in, but when it comes down to it they don't make a list. Thank you for doing so.

It's easy to throw out names, but when it comes down to making a list, that requires analytical thinking and some decision making which evidently is too much to ask for.

If I said the top 10 college running backs all-time are (in no order): Simpson, Campbell, Griffin, Dorsett, Allen, Walker, Bo Jackson, Sanders, Dayne and Ricky Williams and someone else said, "You have to include Barkley." That's fine, but tell me who Barkley is replacing of that list so now a comparison can be made and that judgment can be discussed and questioned.

What about Jim brown best running back and maybe best football player ever.

You were a Wolverine? As a former Freedom Bulldog, I played at Ellwood City one Friday night many years ago...loved that stadium. Don't remember all of the details, but I think I just liked the way it blended in with the town. Weren't the locker rooms under the bleachers? Also, didn't your helmets emulate Michigan's? Great memories.

I played in late 58/59 on defense (Safety/LBer)
Joe Namath was playing QB at Beaver Falls.
Allen brothers (Richie and Hank) were winning State BB championships. Later they were both major league baseball players. Hank played center field for the Senators. Richie played 1st/3rd base for Phillies and White Sox. Richie won MVP in both National/American Leagues.
There were only 18 players on the Ellwood team when Knox arrived. In 1958 (Knox last year) there were 85. In those days uniforms were blue and white with simple white helmet. Later, around 80's there were Michigan like helmets. Blue was more of sky blue. Some of the games were played in Ewing Park field but most were played in setting you described with lockers under the bleachers. You are really exercising my feeble memory.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
I played in late 58/59 on defense (Safety/LBer)
Joe Namath was playing QB at Beaver Falls.
Allen brothers (Richie and Hank) were winning State BB championships. Later they were both major league baseball players. Hank played center field for the Senators. Richie played 1st/3rd base for Phillies and White Sox. Richie won MVP in both National/American Leagues.
There were only 18 players on the Ellwood team when Knox arrived. In 1958 (Knox last year) there were 85. In those days uniforms were blue and white with simple white helmet. Later, around 80's there were Michigan like helmets. Blue was more of sky blue. Some of the games were played in Ewing Park field but most were played in setting you described with lockers under the bleachers. You are really exercising my feeble memory.
I played there in the 80's...remember the Mich-style helmets. Did not know Knox coached there. Did know that he played at Quaker Valley and Juniata College (as both stadiums named after him).

Reactions: Roethlisberge
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT