ADVERTISEMENT

OT: You don't have to love soccer to appreciate this goal

GOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, somebody has to be the turd in the punch bowl so let it be me. I'm not a soccer guy but I think I've seen enough "amazing goals" to know what passes for amazing. That is a case of a guy just kicking a ball straight towards the net, albeit in a situation when the defense isn't expecting it.

It's like in basketball when a point guard is driving to the basket and the defense thinks he's going to dish the ball off so they guard the wings and it ends up nobody is guarding the hoop and the point guard goes straight to the hoop and lays it in. It's interesting to see but it's not really amazing or anything.

Okay, somebody has to be the turd in the punch bowl so let it be me. I'm not a soccer guy but I think I've seen enough "amazing goals" to know what passes for amazing. That is a case of a guy just kicking a ball straight towards the net, albeit in a situation when the defense isn't expecting it.

It's like in basketball when a point guard is driving to the basket and the defense thinks he's going to dish the ball off so they guard the wings and it ends up nobody is guarding the hoop and the point guard goes straight to the hoop and lays it in. It's interesting to see but it's not really amazing or anything.

Did I link the wrong video? You do see the part where the ball is touched 4 times without touching the ground before going in? And the part where he taps the ball to himself twice while twisting almost 360 degrees and delivering an absolute strike to the corner of the goal from distance. If you think that in any way compares to a guard who nobody defends laying it in, then I'm lost on what to tell you.

Just google "dele alli goal of the year." Actual "soccer guys" who write about the sport for a living are discussing this as goal of the year. To act like it's akin to a guard laying it in when the D spreads is the height of ignorance. I'm stunned anyone, even if they've never seen a single soccer game, could watch that and not be amazed. Some just like to be contrary for the sake of it I suppose.

Reactions: Ray-Ray and LionJim
Just google "dele alli goal of the year." Actual "soccer guys" who write about the sport for a living are discussing this as goal of the year. To act like it's akin to a guard laying it in when the D spreads is the height of ignorance. I'm stunned anyone, even if they've never seen a single soccer game, could watch that and not be amazed. Some just like to be contrary for the sake of it I suppose.

Okay, admittedly I'm not a soccer guy so I can't fully appreciate the nuances of it but it just looked like a guy kicking it unexpectedly kicking it straight towards the goal. If soccer-versant folks deem it an amazing goal then I'll accept it as such.

It was the skill to set it up and complete the volley which is insanely hard to do. Your ignorance is ok, great job.

It's what non soccer people don't understand. They see that last touch as a kick. But putting that volley on frame is a skill in itself.

Reactions: LionJim
That guy would be a terrible volleyball player since rules in that sport don't allow a triple hit before sending the ball over/into the net.

Lol

OK nuance guy, go out back and try to do a spin while juggling a ball then getting a solid shot on it in mid air. don't let the couch or potato get in the way and give us a report.

Why didnt he just catch the ball and run it into the net? There were also a couple of guys open he could've thrown the ball to for a score, too.

Kicking it in like he did made it harder than it needed to be.:D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT