ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Womens VBall

86PSUPaul

Aug 17, 2017
Let’s all cheer on our #1 ranked Penn State Women’s VBall team today at 2 as they enter the third round of NCAA’s with a match against Missouri. If they win they will face the winner of MSU/Illini tomorrow at 8pm. Today and tomorrows match will be on ESPNU.

And if you are in SC area, both matches, including today’s MSU/Illini match are hosted by PSU!

Go Lions! We Are!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ja1339
The VB team are "Nittany Lions" not "Lady Lions." The use of "Lady Lions" by the women's basketball team is a pet peeve of mine because it harkens back to the anti-lesbian scandal with Rene Portland.

No disrespect meant, my intention by refering to them as Ladies was to infer extra honor. Sorry for hitting your hot button. Of course they are Nittany Lions, and fantastic representatives of our beloved school.

Edited original post to their official name Penn State Women’s Volleyball team, though I still abreviated volleyball.... ;)

Last edited:
v6c3i.jpg

The opponent tomorrow night will be MSU, if they win they might have a chance to avenge their only season loss versus Nebraska in the semi-finals. So far in 33 matches they have only given up three sets once (the loss to Nebraska) and two sets only two other times. They have 14 sweeps. Pretty much Zain like performance!

Inexplicably, their one loss was a sweep. Off night?

We Are!

Last edited:
The team doesn't use the name. The school doesn't use the name. The B1G doesn't use the name. And the NCAA doesn't use the name. I don't think you need the Political Correctness Police. The regular old Factual Correctness Police can handle this one.

The meme was more for the tone of response not for the factualness. Don't get all hypersensitive on me. I've been watching Penn State women's volleyball for years (along with my kids and wife). The upset over Texas in the NC was one of our favorites.

The women deserve to be called by the same mascot as every other team on campus, except the women’s basketball team. Lady Lions is an exception...

What is an “anti lesbian scandal”??
Rene Portland had it in her mind that the basketball team should not be lesbian. Dumb idea in an open era given the nature of women's basketball teams. PSU encouraged Rene to say bye bye after the team fell apart. .

Rene Portland had it in her mind that the basketball team should not be lesbian. Dumb idea in an open era given the nature of women's basketball teams. PSU encouraged Rene to say bye bye after the team fell apart. .

And , while not ascribing causality, has not been any good since that time. and as I recall, the current coach threatened a move to Mich. and thereby strong armed the school.

Ms. Tikk and I had the pleasure of seeing our first women's volleyball game earlier this season courtesy of two esteemed members of this board, also against MSU, the team they're playing later. I've since caught a few games on the BTN. You don't have to know a ton about the sport to see that Haleigh Washington and Simone Lee are something special. Looking forward to this later.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
I always liked volleyball, then my son’s freshman year in highschool he decided he did not want to wrestle anymore. I told him that was fine but I wanted him to play some sport. After some discussion he decided on volleyball and loved it. He was a setter on his team, two years jv then two years starting setter. Since then I have aquired even more of an admiration for high level volleyball play. Russ Rose has a fantastic track record at PSU and all of our players are great, definitely including Ms. Washington and Lee (Ha, isnt that a college?). We are blessed with some fantastic athletic representatives for our school.

And as much as I like story time, I would rather this thread be about their accomplishments, not a diversion into womens bball of 2007.

Just imagine how many titles she could've won, if only Rene Portland would've allowed on her team men who identified as lesbians.
So you’re saying men are better than regular lesbians? Was your post pre-approved by the PC Committee? ;)

Ms. Tikk and I had the pleasure of seeing our first women's volleyball game earlier this season courtesy of two esteemed members of this board, also against MSU, the team they're playing later. I've since caught a few games on the BTN. You don't have to know a ton about the sport to see that Haleigh Washington and Simone Lee are something special. Looking forward to this later.
Haleigh and Simone, in fact all the ladies, represent the volleyball program, in a nearly identical way the wrestlers talk about their program. Lots of “thankful’s” and “grateful’s”, even “fun’s”. Wonderful ambassadors, and awesome attitudes.

Haleigh and Simone, in fact all the ladies, represent the volleyball program, in a nearly identical way the wrestlers talk about their program. Lots of “thankful’s” and “grateful’s”, even “fun’s”. Wonderful ambassadors, and awesome attitudes.

Not to mention they are very good volleyball players and very good students all.

Reactions: RoarLions1
I saw Haleigh and Simone interviewed after the Minnesota match and agreed, they were really impressive.

Reactions: RoarLions1
0-6 over the past 3 seasons vs Nebraska. Have a feeling, in a neutral environment, Penn State brings home the "V".

And Paul, this is now the 5th Round...just sayin' :).

The lady lions, oops I mean the women's volleyball team, will beat down Nebraska and then will win their 8th national title. (7 more than all of Rutgers titles across all sports in their entire history. Perspective.)

0-6 over the past 3 seasons vs Nebraska. Have a feeling, in a neutral environment, Penn State brings home the "V".

And Paul, this is now the 5th Round...just sayin' :).

Hey, I didn't say a round this time, just that if they won they would be in the finals!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT