ADVERTISEMENT

OT: wifi extender question

bdgan

May 29, 2008
I bought a new TP-LINK router. Coincidentally I already had a TP-LINK wifi extender.

Previously my wifi extender created additional networks that mirrored my original networks except with a _EXT suffix. I've tried to set up the extender with the new router but I don't see the _EXT networks. I don't know what a mesh system is but I supposedly have one now. Does this mean that my Wi-Fi is automatically extended without the additional network names?

Correct.
With a mesh, all will have the same name.

And you can still set up additional networks in the router software either as guests or always on networks. They're just not extender specific.

Correct.
With a mesh, all will have the same name.
Thanks. One more question. I used the tether app to set this up. It shows both 2.4g and 5g but the 5g is no longer visible when I search for networks on my phone. Is this related?

Thanks. One more question. I used the tether app to set this up. It shows both 2.4g and 5g but the 5g is no longer visible when I search for networks on my phone. Is this related?

Your router does both automatically for older devices. Your phone is newer so it connects to the 5g, although it can connect to the 2.4g. You can specify what you prefer in the router settings, but it's best just to let the router broadcast both unless you have a specific reason. Remember 5g faster, 2.4g longer range.

Your router does both automatically for older devices. Your phone is newer so it connects to the 5g, although it can connect to the 2.4g. You can specify what you prefer in the router settings, but it's best just to let the router broadcast both unless you have a specific reason. Remember 5g faster, 2.4g longer range.
I realize that 5g is faster. I'm not a gamer but I assume that's best for streaming HD video.

The thing is many devices like wireless printers, video doorbells, and smart bulbs only work with 2.4g. I have another place in the south and our wifi was changed from Comcast to CenturyLink. The combo modem/router doesn't show a separate 5g network. The rep told me that connected devices will automatically connect to what they need but I was never able to reconnect my smart bulbs. Phones, Alexa, & TVs were fine.

I realize that 5g is faster. I'm not a gamer but I assume that's best for streaming HD video.

The thing is many devices like wireless printers, video doorbells, and smart bulbs only work with 2.4g. I have another place in the south and our wifi was changed from Comcast to CenturyLink. The combo modem/router doesn't show a separate 5g network. The rep told me that connected devices will automatically connect to what they need but I was never able to reconnect my smart bulbs. Phones, Alexa, & TVs were fine.

If you're having trouble connecting devices to 2.4g (not an uncommon problem with newer routers) you can get a second router (extra older ones you may have are great for this) and connect it to your newer router and set up the network that way. Disable DHCP on the 2nd router and its almost identical to your previous extender setup. Whether you keep the cable modem router broadcasting is up to you and whether your older router can also do 5g.

Another option you may want to consider is a tri-band router. I have one (TP-Link AC4000). This gives you one 2.4 GHz and two separate 5 GHz logons. Since we got this router, I no longer get complaints from the family about the "internet being slow" or not being able to log on.

TP Link Deco M5 mesh goes on sale for $150 fairly frequently. It's like 5 minutes to set it up and then you pretty much never have to waste time diagnosing wifi problems.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT