ADVERTISEMENT

OT: wifi not wife (LOL) and use of an extender

AnotherNovaLion

Aug 13, 2019
some tech help needed:

I had verizon fios for years. supposed to be the bext in the area. been paying for a gig but i was getting crap speed. spent hours with tech service but could never resolve. i had even bought a $180 Net Gear mesh extender to help.

i switched to cox. speeds have been very, very good. here's the question: i still have the Net Gear extender. If i utilize it will devices automatically utilize the signal from the cox router/extender that delivers the best speed? what i don't want to do is put the extender in the bedroom and have the devices use that extender if their is faster speed from the cox router.

thoughts?

some tech help needed:

I had verizon fios for years. supposed to be the bext in the area. been paying for a gig but i was getting crap speed. spent hours with tech service but could never resolve. i had even bought a $180 Net Gear mesh extender to help.

i switched to cox. speeds have been very, very good. here's the question: i still have the Net Gear extender. If i utilize it will devices automatically utilize the signal from the cox router/extender that delivers the best speed? what i don't want to do is put the extender in the bedroom and have the devices use that extender if their is faster speed from the cox router.

thoughts?
I thought this post was going to be about your wife not being happy with with your package

some tech help needed:

thoughts?

First, I recommend talking to your doctor about the need for an extender. Just remember that we all have our shortcomings and are all human. Therapy is another option.

Otherwise......you're not going to get faster speed from a WiFi extender than the router itself. IMO, WiFi extenders are more of a PITA than a system like Netgear Orbi. One thing about your post is puzzling to me: What Netgear extender did you get for $180? That's crazy expensive for a WiFi extender.

Reactions: Obliviax
First, I recommend talking to your doctor about the need for an extender. Just remember that we all have our shortcomings and are all human. Therapy is another option.

Otherwise......you're not going to get faster speed from a WiFi extender than the router itself. IMO, WiFi extenders are more of a PITA than a system like Netgear Orbi. One thing about your post is puzzling to me: What Netgear extender did you get for $180? That's crazy expensive for a WiFi extender.
it was several years ago when mesh tech first hit...that's why i wonder whether i should even use it. i know there are some really good solutions available but house seems to be doing pretty good just with the cox router!

some tech help needed:

thoughts?

The router that you have is separate from the modem cox (and fios) provide. It (and every router) will work with any modem, and is much better than what the service providers will give you. Use your mesh router system.

Reactions: Zenophile
it was several years ago when mesh tech first hit...that's why i wonder whether i should even use it. i know there are some really good solutions available but house seems to be doing pretty good just with the cox router!
do the mesh. At ~ $200, easy decision. My family has transitioned to smart digital. we now have three smart TVs and several phones/ipads. I can cleanly connect from the edge of the back yard out into the street. Every room screams, including the basement. I can watch the ball game next to the grill in the back or while waxing up my cars. I am paying ~ $50 per month so adding the $200 for such performance and convenience is a no-brainer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT