ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What is the most iconic building in the world that jumps to mind?

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
Growing up in the shadow of a building that was the tallest in the world for 25 years, the Sears Tower is the one that first comes to mind for me.

Which building first comes to mind, for you?

Last edited:
Empire State building for me. Followed by the MET, which might be one of my favorite places in the world.

Growing up in the shadow of a building that was the tallest in the world for 25 years, the Sears Tower is the one that first comes to mind for me.

Isn't it the Willis tower now or something like that?

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Every time I have been on my way to NYC, as soon as I see the Empire State building, I can picture Kong climbing up the side with Fay Wray in his hand. In 91, I was lucky enough to go to the Kickoff Classic in the Meadowlands against Georgia Tech. As much as I was enjoying the game, the halftime show was too long and boring. Our seats were in the upper level so I decided to take a walk around the stadium to see what I could see. When I got to the right corner, there was the Manhattan skyline, all lit up about 10 PM. I just stood there and stared for a good 10 minutes taking it in. We attended a pre game dinner and pep rally with the band, cheerleaders and The Lion in a fancy dining room but standing there looking at the skyline all lit up was the highpoint of the night to me.

Last edited:

I’m going with the Chrysler Building. When I was a kid, I liked the ESB. But something about the Chrysler building grew on me. Similar to how your love of ranch turns to a love of blue cheese as you age 😂.

stringio.jpg

Every time I have been on my way to NYC, as soon as I see the Empire State building, I can picture Kong climbing up the side with Fay Wray in his hand. In 91, I was lucky enough to go to the Kickoff Classic in the Meadowlands against Georgia Tech. As much as I was enjoying the game, the halftime show was too long and boring. Our seats were in the upper level so I decided to take a walk around the stadium to see what I could see. When I got to the right corner, there was the Manhattan skyline, all lit up aboot 10 PM. I just stood there and stared for a good 10 minutes taking it in. We attended a pre game dinner and pep rally with the band, cheerleaders and The Lion in a fancy dining room but standing there looking at the skyline all lit up was the highpoint of the night to me.
I was at that game too....Disney was the sponsor and I had lower end zone tickets from them. My girlfriend (now wife) and I brought her former step brother and his girlfriend. Dude played @ Red Bank Catholic with his "best friend" who was a PSU TE on that team....Al Golden.

We whipped them that night. I had a Joe Knows Foitball and had some guy around me say "Joe don't know shit!" When we were up like 34-3 I got my revenge. Still have that ticket in my framed collage- good times!

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Interesting that most are US centric. First one that popped into my head is the Eiffel Tower.

No building in the US is as iconic as the Empire State Building.

Unless you include the Statue of Liberty which is in effect a building.

More than half of Americans wouldn't even recognize the sears or hancock building.

LdN

Eiffel Tower.

The pyramid of Giza has been doing well for a very long time. Perfect cardinal alignment and all.

The Hungarian Parliament building should be up there too. The iconic building in Budapest may not be THE most iconic in the world but one of my favorite buildings to visit. If you’re ever there definitely make it part of your trip.

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

St. Basil's Cathedral, Moscow.

To me, 'iconic' references not only the building's own design features (and, I suppose, their uniqueness), but also the degree to which the building is unmistakably connected with a place and/or culture.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obliviax
The Transamerican building in San Fran or the Flat Iron Building in New York haven't been mentioned. The Capital Records Building and the Space Needle would be two others. Lastly and most importantly the Fox Plaza (aka Nakotomi Plaza) from the iconic Christmas Movie Die hard.

Empire State Building.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT