ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Watching “The Shawshank Redemption” again.

Filmed at the Mansfield reformatory (Mansfield, Ohio).

How young Andy looks as he sees Red at the beach. That was of course planned, perfectly done.
Interestingly, that final scene was shot at Sandy Point on the southwest corner of St. Croix. It must have been torture to go there for such a brief scene. I hope they went in January and stayed for a couple weeks. :)

Reactions: LionJim
Not long after the warden deprived us of his company, I got a postcard in the mail. It was blank, but the postmark said Fort Hancock, Texas. Fort Hancock... right on the border. That's where Andy crossed. When I picture him heading south in his own car with the top down, it always makes me laugh. Andy Dufresne... who crawled through a river of shit and came out clean on the other side. Andy Dufresne... headed for the Pacific.

It's still hard for me to understand how Forrest Gump won Best Picture that year. Sure, it was a cute story but it didn't match Shawshank. And to think last year the Best Picture Award went to a fish movie,
I hated Forest Gump. The movie equivalent of Billy Joel’s “We didn’t start the fire”. A patronizing, cloying nostalgia trip

Favorite movie of all time. Incredible story. When I saw it for the first time, I was as shocked as Wardon Norton when Raquel revealed her little secret.

"How can you be so obtuse?" "is it deliberate?" - amazing

Reactions: Ranger Dan
LzE.gif

I like when the red-headed “sister” got destroyed by the guards. Grimly holding onto the cell bars with real fear in his eyes as the guards were about to give him a wood shampoo.

Great movie with one big exception. That poster of Raquel Welsh was never examined by the warden's troops EVER during the entire time Andy was digging and exploring his escape route? Never fell down or was taken down during shakedown? Never frayed or crinkled after being up on that wall for how long? Never?

The escape route created during "Escape From Alcatraz" that Clint Eastwood used is at least remotely believable.....in fact, it's a true story.

Great movie with one big exception. That poster of Raquel Welsh was never examined by the warden's troops EVER during the entire time Andy was digging and exploring his escape route? Never fell down or was taken down during shakedown? Never frayed or crinkled after being up on that wall for how long? Never?

The escape route created during "Escape From Alcatraz" that Clint Eastwood used is at least remotely believable.....in fact, it's a true story.
Well, there were multiple posters. They showed two, but there could have been more in between. Also, he was helping the guards and warden. He was likely off limits for shakedowns.

It's been a while since I watched the movie, but if memory serves, he packed a suit (extra pair of shoes?) in a plastic bag and crawls through the sewer pipe.

I remember him being clean when he went to the bank, but wouldn't the suit and his shoes, if he didn't take an extra pair, still really stink despite being in plastic?

It's been a while since I watched the movie, but if memory serves, he packed a suit (extra pair of shoes?) in a plastic bag and crawls through the sewer pipe.

I remember him being clean when he went to the bank, but wouldn't the suit and his shoes, if he didn't take an extra pair, still really stink despite being in plastic?
If the suit and shoes were in plastic, why would they stink? Of course you would have to thoroughly clean yourself of the sewer smell before putting on the suit, but that would be possible I think.

If the suit and shoes were in plastic, why would they stink? Of course you would have to thoroughly clean yourself of the sewer smell before putting on the suit, but that would be possible I think.

The sewer part is flawed...Couldn't possibly be squeaky clean going into that bank.

Finding the tree in Buxton is another one.

Regardless, still the best movie ever IMO

Reactions: Judge Smails
I've seen this movie over 50 times, when it's on i just can't turn it off.

I heard people who overwatch this movie are known as redemptionists.

I look at the poster as an exaggeration, that Andy (like Frank Morris in Alcatraz) was meticulous and patient, the hole was really widened at his escape.

As far as the shoes, very few people observe shoes in a bank. Unless he was wearing sneakers, most people are worried about their own dollars.. The pouring rain combined with a good bar of soap, followed with a heavy dose of Old Spice covered any stink.

It's still hard for me to understand how Forrest Gump won Best Picture that year. Sure, it was a cute story but it didn't match Shawshank. And to think last year the Best Picture Award went to a fish movie,
I loved Forrest Gump, but The Shawshank Redemption is a PROFOUNDLY better movie. Not even close. The gimmicky aspect of Forrest Gump, with the filmmaker manipulating footage to include Forrest in famous historical scenes, is really interesting, and Tom Hanks is a fabulous actor. But Forrest Gump simply does not measure up to Shawshank. The last several minutes of the movie, narrated by Red (Morgan Freeman in absolutely his finest role) are among the finest and most life affirming moments in the history of cinema.

Why the jerk angle? This was not a true story, so go with it? Ya like Star Wars? Not true either....c'mon, really. Don't bitch just to ruin a good thread...nobody likes that...except MK.

The poster changed. It was originally Rita Hayworth and as time moved on so did the actresses on the poster.

I loved Forrest Gump, but The Shawshank Redemption is a PROFOUNDLY better movie. Not even close. The gimmicky aspect of Forrest Gump, with the filmmaker manipulating footage to include Forrest in famous historical scenes, is really interesting, and Tom Hanks is a fabulous actor. But Forrest Gump simply does not measure up to Shawshank. The last several minutes of the movie, narrated by Red (Morgan Freeman in absolutely his finest role) are among the finest and most life affirming moments in the history of cinema.

LOL, and all this time I thought I was the only one who hated Forrest Gump. Oh I can appreciate the film making aspect of it but as for the movie itself, as Blaine and Antoine said..."Hated it". LOL.
giphy.gif

And if you want to see a great movie where the actor is put into past movie footage
check out Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid. Its Classic.

LOL, and all this time I thought I was the only one who hated Forrest Gump. Oh I can appreciate the film making aspect of it but as for the movie itself, as Blaine and Antoine said..."Hated it". LOL.
giphy.gif

And if you want to see a great movie where the actor is put into past movie footage
check out Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid. Its Classic.
I’m another one. See my post above:

“I hated Forest Gump. The movie equivalent of Billy Joel’s “We didn’t start the fire”. A patronizing, cloying nostalgia trip”

The sewer part is flawed...Couldn't possibly be squeaky clean going into that bank.

Finding the tree in Buxton is another one.

Regardless, still the best movie ever IMO

A part of the sewer scene that was flawed was when he busted into the pipe and shite shot all over. Wouldn't happen unless the line was plugged, which it obviously wasn't.

I’m another one. See my post above:

“I hated Forest Gump. The movie equivalent of Billy Joel’s “We didn’t start the fire”. A patronizing, cloying nostalgia trip”

add me to the list of people who loved Forrest Gump the first time I watched it, then realized it was derivative manipulative sh*t after the second viewing

as a fan of Stephen King's source novella, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the blatant joke about Red's character in the film

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
add me to the list of people who loved Forrest Gump the first time I watched it, then realized it was derivative manipulative sh*t after the second viewing

as a fan of Stephen King's source novella, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the blatant joke about Red's character in the film

I'm a big fan of "Different Seasons" and still awaiting the movie version of "The Breathing Method".
All other stories from that Novella have been turned into films, The Body, (Excellent), Shawshank (Excellent), Apt Pupil (should have been much better).
But I don't remember the joke?

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
I'm a big fan of "Different Seasons" and still awaiting the movie version of "The Breathing Method".
All other stories from that Novella have been turned into films, The Body, (Excellent), Shawshank (Excellent), Apt Pupil (should have been much better).
But I don't remember the joke?

who plays Red in the movie? What ethnicity was Red in the novella (and specifically relates to why he was called Red)

the film does a great job pivoting around this, btw. good in joke for King fans

Not all of us are Stephen King fans. I think you can safely let us in on it without spoiling the movie.

in the novella, Red is Irish with Red hair (hence his nickname)

when Andy (Tim Robbins) asks Red (Morgan Freeman) in the movie why he is called Red, Freeman cheekily quips maybe because he is Irish

Why the jerk angle? This was not a true story, so go with it? Ya like Star Wars? Not true either....c'mon, really. Don't bitch just to ruin a good thread...nobody likes that...except MK.
Oh please, don't put the MK tag on me. I take it back, I take it back! Anything but the McKilvanik tag!:) I hated that guy!

in the novella, Red is Irish with Red hair (hence his nickname)

when Andy (Tim Robbins) asks Red (Morgan Freeman) in the movie why he is called Red, Freeman cheekily quips maybe because he is Irish

Thanks. I knew he wasn't black in the book but didnt remember him being Irish either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
On a related note have you read The Outsider yet?
Its pretty good. about 1/2 through I was wondering where it was going to go and wow King didn't disappoint.
I heard its marked for a 10 spot mini series. Going to be tough to do cause there is some pretty graphic subject matter.
And when do I get my mini series for The Talisman? if there was ever a King book, besides The Gunslinger series, that had mini series written all over it its The Talisman.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT