ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USA COVID-19 Vaccination Updates

Cannot for the life of me even guess WTF is going on in Meatchicken. More than 600% increase in positives compared to February?!? Highest percentage of hospital beds in the country being used for covid patients?!?
The population density there is nowhere close to NYC or other major metropolitan areas; not a spring break destination; didn't host a series of concerts/sporting events/etc that could have been superspreader events.
Just completely leaves me shaking my head. Come on AKB, someone here must have the answer.
According to the article, 11.9% of in-patient hospital beds are being used by covid patients. I don't know about you, but <12% of the beds for covid doesn't sound as bad as "highest percentage" to me.

According to the article, 11.9% of in-patient hospital beds are being used by covid patients. I don't know about you, but <12% of the beds for covid doesn't sound as bad as "highest percentage" to me.

And a good percentage of that is people who are in the hospital for non-covid reasons that tested positive while in the hospital

Totally agree that <12% is a GOOD highest percentage to have countrywide, but why Michigan? Biggest city is Detroit, is that even in the top 50 most populated US cities? I would think a smaller state near NY would be higher - CT, RI or Mass.

Cannot for the life of me even guess WTF is going on in Meatchicken. More than 600% increase in positives compared to February?!? Highest percentage of hospital beds in the country being used for covid patients?!?
The population density there is nowhere close to NYC or other major metropolitan areas; not a spring break destination; didn't host a series of concerts/sporting events/etc that could have been superspreader events.
Just completely leaves me shaking my head. Come on AKB, someone here must have the answer.

A few things to keep in mind with COVID numbers:

- The focus on vaccinations thus far has been the elderly and infirmed....in other words, people with weakened immune systems for whom vaccination might not produce as strong of immune response

- The flip side to the above is cases trend towards younger populations who are likely not vaccinated yet, but are less at risk for unfortunate outcomes

- In addition, whether you call if COVID fatigue or re-opening the economy.....generally speaking, the number of people religiously masking/keeping small gatherings are becoming fewer

Did anyone check the water supply...just saying :cool:

64 million fully vaccinated leaves about 200 million adults left to vaccinate. If we can get to 4 million doses per day, everyone could be done in under 100 days. That assumes half are first doses and half are second doses. Then do some adjustments for single dose vaccines. That’s right around the 4th of July.

Then get ready for kids and then fall boosters (which hopefully get handed out with flu shots). I’m feeling way more positive that a year ago.

Fauci mentioned last night that the 12-16 year old age trials are going very well. Would not be surprised to see that approval for that age group by late summer.

I agree that by end of June, anybody that is going to get vaccinated will have been vaccinated with both shots. There is going to be 25-40M adults who are never going to get vaccinated, we know that.

Big thing I am waiting for is the daily positives to start dropping again. If it wasn't for Michigan, we would be very close as their numbers are accounting for most of the 7 day average rise. If we can average the 3M+ per day for rest of April, we should be at another 70M doses delivered with 40M of those being 1st shots. I have to believe that by that point in time with another 40M people vaccinated plus good weather across the entire country that we start to see numbers going down.

They are testing from age 13 and up spring athletes (HS and clubs) every seven days.

Fauci mentioned last night that the 12-16 year old age trials are going very well. Would not be surprised to see that approval for that age group by late summer.

In the past the FDA hasn't been as receptive to rushed EUA on kids vaccines.

The Pfizer trial was only 3000 kids. Pretty small trial on a group that isn't very susceptible to covid in the first place.

Reactions: bison13

- The focus on vaccinations thus far has been the elderly and infirmed....in other words, people with weakened immune systems for whom vaccination might not produce as strong of immune response

- The flip side to the above is cases trend towards younger populations who are likely not vaccinated yet, but are less at risk for unfortunate outcomes

- In addition, whether you call if COVID fatigue or re-opening the economy.....generally speaking, the number of people religiously masking/keeping small gatherings are becoming fewer

that doesn't explain Michigan versus every other state, that is the questoin. Covid fatigue is everywhere and mask compliance in many midwest and southern states is much worse then Michigan. The difference in a few percent of mask compliance is not accounting for an increase of 600% in a 6 weeks in Michigan when no other state is sniffing that type of increase.

44% of adult population as at least one vaccine so that is way, way more than just elderly and infirmed so that statement is not correct.

that doesn't explain Michigan versus every other state, that is the questoin. Covid fatigue is everywhere and mask compliance in many midwest and southern states is much worse then Michigan. The difference in a few percent of mask compliance is not accounting for an increase of 600% in a 6 weeks in Michigan when no other state is sniffing that type of increase.

44% of adult population as at least one vaccine so that is way, way more than just elderly and infirmed so that statement is not correct.
I didn't say it explained numbers in Michigan.

They are testing from age 13 and up spring athletes (HS and clubs) every seven days.
Here is the Michigan SOP for Covid Testing/Classification/Etc. Updated March 2021. Lots of circular arguments, but I'm not certain if it is much different for other states.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdhhs/nCoV_SOP_TEAM_680994_7.pdf

Terrible formatting from the report, but I'm guessing that many PROBABLE cases are being called positive (just a cough will get you a clinical PROBABLE reading even without a test). Interesting to dig through if you like to

Case Classifications
Confirmed
•Meets confirmatory laboratory evidence.

Probable:
•Meets clinical criteria AND epidemiologic evidence with no confirmatory laboratory testing performed for COVID-19.
•Meets presumptive laboratory evidence.
•Meets vital records criteria with no confirmatory laboratory evidence for SARS-CoV-2. Suspect:
•Meets supportive laboratory evidence*** with no prior history of being a confirmed or probable case.***For suspect cases (positive serology only), jurisdictions may opt to place them in a registry for other epidemiological analyses or investigate to determine probable or confirmed status.

Clinical Criteria
In the absence of a more likely diagnosis:
•At least two of the following symptoms: fever (measured or subjective), chills, rigors, myalgia, headache, sore throat, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, congestion or runny nose OR
•Any one of the following symptoms: cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, new olfactory disorder, new taste disorder OR
•Severe respiratory illness with at least one of the following: clinical or radiographic evidence of pneumonia, or acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)Laboratory CriteriaConfirmatory laboratory evidence: •Detection of SARS-CoV-2 RNA in a clinical or autopsy specimen using a molecular amplification detection test

Presumptive laboratory evidence:
•Detection of SARS-CoV-2 by antigen test in a respiratory specimenSupportive laboratory evidence: •Detection of specific antibody in serum, plasma, or whole blood
•Detection of specific antigen by immunocytochemistry in an autopsy specimen

Epidemiologic Linkage
One or more of the following exposures in the prior 14 days:
•Close contact* with a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19 disease
•Member of a risk cohort as defined by public health authorities during an outbreak. *Close contact is generally defined as being within 6 feet for at least 15 minutes. However, it depends on the exposure level and setting; for example, in the setting of an aerosol-generating procedure in healthcare settings without proper PPE, this may be defined as any duration. Data are insufficient to precisely define the duration of exposure that constitutes prolonged exposure and thus a close contact.Exposure does not have to be consecutive minutes.

Last edited:

This is my point - why Michigan? It's not like they were the first state to fully open, drop mask requirements or anything else out of the ordinary. Michigan being the nationwide hotspot just makes no sense whatsoever, on any level. I wonder if some day, soon or down the road, we'll hear something that might explain this craziness.

I didn't say it explained numbers in Michigan.
so then what was your point to you post as we are talking Michigan and why their numbers are crazy.

Your point on elderly/infirmed was incorrect.

and then a something about mask compliance which not sure what you were getting at if not implying that was a reason, why were you posting about.

so then what was your point to you post as we are talking Michigan and why their numbers are crazy.

Your point on elderly/infirmed was incorrect.

and then a something about mask compliance which not sure what you were getting at if not implying that was a reason, why were you posting about.

I happened to hit quote? I don't know what to tell you.

My statement is not incorrect, and you're just another message board poster talking out your ass like you know a thing or two about epidemiology, statistics, or virology. You don't know jack shit about any of those topics, which is par for the course when you post.

My statement is not incorrect, and you're just another message board poster talking out your ass like you know a thing or two about epidemiology, statistics, or virology. You don't know jack shit about any of those topics, which is par for the course when you post.
you statement implying that only the elderly/infirmed are vaccinated is wrong. what are you talking about. that is not my data, that is the CDC data that 44% of adult population has been vaccinated with at least one dose. what are you talking about.

i find that when somebody doesn't have facts on their side they resort to name calling.

you statement implying that only the elderly/infirmed are vaccinated is wrong. what are you talking about. that is not my data, that is the CDC data that 44% of adult population has been vaccinated with at least one dose. what are you talking about.

i find that when somebody doesn't have facts on their side they resort to name calling.

Understanding what I wrote would require critical thinking ability, which isn't your strong suit. I stand by what I said, and I'll let you have the last word on the matter. I'm sure it'll be good. Don't let me stop your daily "expert" prognostications.

morans.jpg

:eek: :)

You are a miserable person.

Understanding what I wrote would require critical thinking ability, which isn't your strong suit. I stand by what I said, and I'll let you have the last word on the matter. I'm sure it'll be good. Don't let me stop your daily "expert" prognostications.
thank you for allowing me the last word.

Fact...44% of adult population with one shot, that is straight from CDC.
Fact...Michigan has no lower non mask compliance than most other states so is not a reason for their 600% rise compared to all the other states. High school level statistics and critical thinking gets you there.
Fact...never claimed to be an expert, but appreciate you giving me that moniker. I guess compared to your level of thinking, in your eyes I am an expert.

Michigan has a much higher percentage of probable cases in the last couple weeks than they did at any time in the pandemic. That should raise eyebrows.
Look the administration needs the surge headlines to keep people getting their shots. The Blue states are helping out with this.

thank you for allowing me the last word.

Fact...44% of adult population with one shot, that is straight from CDC.
Fact...Michigan has no lower non mask compliance than most other states so is not a reason for their 600% rise compared to all the other states. High school level statistics and critical thinking gets you there.
Fact...never claimed to be an expert, but appreciate you giving me that moniker. I guess compared to your level of thinking, in your eyes I am an expert.
don't feed the troll, I have wanted to do it before and have finally done so, that troll is on ignore....thanks for all

• Love
Reactions: Ski and bison13

All of that is true but the question needs to be why is Michigan a unicorn?

Living in NJ, I had heard there were vaccines available in southern NJ. Then I saw our Governor tweet that he went to the AC mega site yesterday and there's openings (he lives two towns away from me). I looked today, theres THOUSANDS of openings and the option between Pfizer and J&J. I booked my J&J for next Monday. I don't understand why they aren't spreading the vaccine love up north where you can't find any appointments.

Living in NJ, I had heard there were vaccines available in southern NJ. Then I saw our Governor tweet that he went to the AC mega site yesterday and there's openings (he lives two towns away from me). I looked today, theres THOUSANDS of openings and the option between Pfizer and J&J. I booked my J&J for next Monday. I don't understand why they aren't spreading the vaccine love up north where you can't find any appointments.
all the major south jersey sites have tons of openings including the pharmacies. i was on the NJ registry and got an email last Friday that said I was now eligible and linked me to the local mega site, they had appts. available literally that day all afternoon.

all the major south jersey sites have tons of openings including the pharmacies. i was on the NJ registry and got an email last Friday that said I was now eligible and linked me to the local mega site, they had appts. available literally that day all afternoon.
I live in the Lehigh Valley and just got a message that I can schedule through St. Luke’s. There were hundreds of appointments available in the next 10 days. Make your appointments people!

2.9M shots yesterday so total up to 171.476M with the 7 day rolling average at 3.03M. 76.1% of shots administered is the national average, 33.1% of population with 1+ dose (note this is percent of population that has been given 1 or 2 doses, so total percent that have been pricked by a needle), 19.4% fully vaccinated.
So far, 110 million Americans have received at least one dose of a vaccine. At least 64.4 million people have completed a vaccination regimen.

Doses delivered is 225.33M compared to yesterday 219.235M. So 6.1M doses delivered yesterday, 17.5M doses delivered for the week. Previous week totals for doses delivered is 28.22M, 23.8, 21.1M, 20.0M, 19.7M,21.2M, 5.1M, 9.96M and , 9.4M.

75,183 positives reported yesterday compared to 70,368 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 66,271

Fatality was 873 compared to 906 yesterday and 1140 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 771.

So at least the vaccine number came back up, I feared we might dip back below the 3M per day rolling average but hopefully whatever that blip was on Monday/Tuesday is gone. As there is now zero shortage of vaccines out there with 17M+ doses delivered already this week.

Nice to see that fatality number start to go back down again. Lowest that has been since late October of last year.

Michigan just completely out of control, 9000+ daily positive yesterday so the 7 day average is now over 7000 per day. 6 weeks ago they were at 1000 per day.

3.4M shots yesterday so total up to 174.879M with the 7 day rolling average at 3.04M. 76.2% of shots administered is the national average, 33.7% of population with 1+ dose (note this is percent of population that has been given 1 or 2 doses, so total percent that have been pricked by a needle), 19.9% fully vaccinated.
So far, 112 million Americans have received at least one dose of a vaccine. At least 66.2 million people have completed a vaccination regimen.

Doses delivered is 229.50M compared to yesterday 225.33M. So 4.2M doses delivered yesterday, 21.7M doses delivered for the week. Previous week totals for doses delivered is 28.22M, 23.8, 21.1M, 20.0M, 19.7M,21.2M, 5.1M, 9.96M and , 9.4M.

80,161 positives reported yesterday compared to 77,317 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 66677

Fatality was 1009 compared to 873 yesterday and 980 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 775.

3.4M shots yesterday so total up to 174.879M with the 7 day rolling average at 3.04M. 76.2% of shots administered is the national average, 33.7% of population with 1+ dose (note this is percent of population that has been given 1 or 2 doses, so total percent that have been pricked by a needle), 19.9% fully vaccinated.
So far, 112 million Americans have received at least one dose of a vaccine. At least 66.2 million people have completed a vaccination regimen.

Doses delivered is 229.50M compared to yesterday 225.33M. So 4.2M doses delivered yesterday, 21.7M doses delivered for the week. Previous week totals for doses delivered is 28.22M, 23.8, 21.1M, 20.0M, 19.7M,21.2M, 5.1M, 9.96M and , 9.4M.

80,161 positives reported yesterday compared to 77,317 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 66677

Fatality was 1009 compared to 873 yesterday and 980 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 775.
Thanks for your "expert" update.
:cool:

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Reactions: TheGLOV
My company (almost 6000 employees) had a town hall zoom meeting today for the entire company and put up a poll question asking how people felt about the vaccine. I'm not sure how many people attended the meeting, or responded to the poll, but here were the results:

51% - Got the vaccine (poll didn't specify 1 or 2 doses)
12% - Want the vaccine, but can't get it
20% - Wait and see
17% - Don't want it

I thought that would be of interest to this thread.

BTW, my company is offering free company swag (a T-shirt or a polo shirt I believe) to any employee who gets the vaccine.

My company (almost 6000 employees) had a town hall zoom meeting today for the entire company and put up a poll question asking how people felt about the vaccine. I'm not sure how many people attended the meeting, or responded to the poll, but here were the results:

20% - Wait and see
17% - Don't want it

BTW, my company is offering free company swag (a T-shirt or a polo shirt I believe) to any employee who gets the vaccine.
Yikes. A free day off, sure. A shirt? No thanks.

Reactions: TheGLOV

20% - Wait and see
17% - Don't want it

Our company is giving 4 hours of PTO to get the vaccine - no free sway though.

Those survey results are in line with what I would expect from what I've heard anecdotally.
I think its reasonable to think we end up with 30-40% of the population simply choosing not to get vaccinated. Unless talking heads begin saying you can gather in large groups and not wear a mask if you've been vaccinated I think there's a lot of people that feel like they don't need to bother getting the shot if it doesn't change anything.

20% - Wait and see
17% - Don't want it

pretty much exactly what the polls have been showing. I think the most of the wait and see group along with a few percent of the 'no' group will end up getting in mid/late May such that about 15-18% of adult population will end up say 'no' for real.

Reactions: TheGLOV and bison13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT