ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USA COVID-19 Vaccination Updates

They asked the FDA to approve it for younger kids today too
As A participant in the original Pfizer Covid19 Double Blind Vaccine Study, ( I ended up receiving the Placebo) and afterwards the shots and the booster.
Over the years , as A senior citizen no reactions from having received various flu,pneumonia etc. Shots.

For now: only my humble opinion, parents/ guardians for 5 and under should give this new Pfizer request serious thought.

And my understanding currently is the 5 and under request is for an Authorization by the CDC, and not an Approval.

I believe from a Legal perspective, there's a difference between the two.

My thoughts only.

Reactions: Obliviax
As A participant in the original Pfizer Covid19 Double Blind Vaccine Study, ( I ended up receiving the Placebo) and afterwards the shots and the booster.
Over the years , as A senior citizen no reactions from having received various flu,pneumonia etc. Shots.

For now: only my humble opinion, parents/ guardians for 5 and under should give this new Pfizer request serious thought.

And my understanding currently is the 5 and under request is for an Authorization by the CDC, and not an Approval.

I believe from a Legal perspective, there's a difference between the two.

My thoughts only.

For a virus the have ZERO chance of getting seriously sick from? And will still be able to get it and spread it? Im surebyou think they should get the aids vaccine when it comes out as well.

So lets say this is true, I agree it more then likely is and is an under count. But a question for Engineer how does that change vax efficiency? That makes the death rate drop well below the flu in 2020 if you use the CDC numbers that there were 3 to 4x more cases then reported. I know we will never know the real numbers unfortunately
I am unclear what you are asking here?

What is the value in giving 5 year olds a Covid vaccine? Seriously?

I don't particularly suspect that there's anything bad about doing that, but I also know that the benefit for the child is almost zero, and the benefit for society is also zero.

So why is there any focus on it at all?

Very hard to understand.

Reactions: bison13
So, now we can project our current natural immunity level in the population with reasonable accuracy.

We see from below that there are (102,870,000 / 48, 240, 082) = 2.125 infections per reported case as of November 15th. Now that number is derived and dependent somewhat on human behavior - what's the probability a person was scared enough to go get a test, suspecting they had Covid, etc.

But assuming that ratio stays (and we are really asking only that it stay reasonably close, we know it will be a little different with Omicron - based on fear, availability, etc).

And now, we have, from the bottom image 76,000,000 reported cases, so 76,000,000 * 2.125 = 159,000,000 total infections and recoveries in the USA.

Out of 330,000,000 total population, so truly 159/330 = 48% of the population is now pretty immune.

Of course, it isn't static, and those who were infected in the original wave are probably somewhat susceptible to Omicron, and so forth as even natural immunity will wane/be impacted by variants.

Given Omicron with R0 about 10 or so, we are now at an R(t) of about 5.0, so we have a long, long way to go yet.

Seroprevalence-Map.png

USA-Covid-Cases-Cumulative.png

I am unclear what you are asking here?
If we assume 40% of deaths like Cletus mentioned were with covid. What does that do to VE against death? It has to change it greatly since the VE calculations you have run are assuming 100% of deaths are caused by covid right? I'm sure it's not that simple but its just another one of those data points we lack.

What is the value in giving 5 year olds a Covid vaccine? Seriously?

I don't particularly suspect that there's anything bad about doing that, but I also know that the benefit for the child is almost zero, and the benefit for society is also zero.

So why is there any focus on it at all?

Very hard to understand.
I wish there was a vaccine for RSV that infants and young children could receive, or perhaps a prophylactic monoclonal antibody treatment. RSV is riskier for young children than Coronavirus. Within the first week that my daughter started daycare she contracted RSV. She was 5 months old. She also developed croup (bronchiolitis). From that point on, every time she caught a cold, the first thing to go would be her lungs. Croup would set in and then it was fun times galore giving her nebulizer breathing treatments while she hacked like a barking/wheezing seal. And if that didn’t work, time to go with prednisone. We had two close calls with hospitalization. Decided to let the pediatrician give her the intramuscular steroid injection. 😜

Reactions: bison13
I know, but you do remember the article from Alameda county in California (not known as a bastion of hard right who would err in the wrong direction) which stated that 40% of deaths they went back and looked at were 'with' Covid and it was not found that Covid was the primary and/or major reason of death.

This is the issue with this whole pandemic, lack of quality data with proper calcs completed to have real values so we are left with bits and pieces of information that have to be pieced together.
They purposefully overstated the deaths for political reasons, as part of the ‘plan-demic’ from the start. Data early on from the CDC clearly showed an average of 2.6 comorbidity’s, or significant, underlying, pre-existing health conditions were attributed to 94% of the alleged COVID-19 deaths in the USA. That number didn’t change much in 2 years and the new CDC director recently said the average is close to 5 comorbidity’s. Bottom line is healthy people do not die from the China virus, or it’s many weaker variants. They die ‘with’ the virus, not because of it, like literally everyone who dies.

I really, really want to try to put this "deaths WITH Covid" behind us. I truly do - because we are right in the big picture. But facts are facts.

Since it was obvious that the Democrats were using the pandemic to get rid of Trump, I thought it was likely they were lying about the total deaths. I figured exactly as everyone on our side on this board did - that if the guy got shot in a dark alley, he got recorded as a covid death.

So, if that theory was true, then really the total deaths for any given time period would be about the same.

So, I made this graph. Orange is the sinusoidally adjusted linear model of deaths. Blue is the actual deaths recorded, regardless of cause - heart attack, cancer, whatever.

Then, I added up all the area between the blue and the orange. It added to about 95% of the total covid registered deaths. Meaning the best explanation for why so many more people died in 2020 and 2021 was that they got Covid.

All-Deaths-USA.png

Now hospitalizations, selective categorization into Covid of youth deaths (so you can say "it affects even young heatlhy people) - all very possible. My analysis does not preclude those. But OVERALL, the deaths that were recorded as Covid were FROM Covid.

Reactions: SLUPSU
I really, really want to try to put this "deaths WITH Covid" behind us. I truly do - because we are right in the big picture. But facts are facts.

Since it was obvious that the Democrats were using the pandemic to get rid of Trump, I thought it was likely they were lying about the total deaths. I figured exactly as everyone on our side on this board did - that if the guy got shot in a dark alley, he got recorded as a covid death.

So, if that theory was true, then really the total deaths for any given time period would be about the same.

So, I made this graph. Orange is the sinusoidally adjusted linear model of deaths. Blue is the actual deaths recorded, regardless of cause - heart attack, cancer, whatever.

Then, I added up all the area between the blue and the orange. It added to about 95% of the total covid registered deaths. Meaning the best explanation for why so many more people died in 2020 and 2021 was that they got Covid.

All-Deaths-USA.png

Now hospitalizations, selective categorization into Covid of youth deaths (so you can say "it affects even young heatlhy people) - all very possible. My analysis does not preclude those. But OVERALL, the deaths that were recorded as Covid were FROM Covid.
... and excess deaths are somewhat higher than reported covid deaths, so if you subtract out the 20k in additional od's and the 2k additional suicides and whatever small numbers of extra non-covid deaths you can find you'll probably end up a number that's pretty close to the numbers being reported. Reasonable people would also acknowledge the small number of under-reporting in the system, like the are reports of under-reporting from rural areas, families demanding that death certificates not mention covid.

Reactions: PSUEngineer89
OK, here we go - Seroprevalence data.

Note what a high percentage of the adult population has been vaccinated.

Obviously, we'd be at R(t) near 1.0 IF the vaccine prevented transmission....alas, it does not.

More to follow on this topic.

Seroprevalence-Graph.png
PSU cliff notes for those of us who can't read your graph

... and excess deaths are somewhat higher than reported covid deaths, so if you subtract out the 20k in additional od's and the 2k additional suicides and whatever small numbers of extra non-covid deaths you can find you'll probably end up a number that's pretty close to the numbers being reported. Reasonable people would also acknowledge the small number of under-reporting in the system, like the are reports of under-reporting from rural areas, families demanding that death certificates not mention covid.
So that everyone is clear.

On the big picture, you’re agreeing completely that the Covid deaths are FROM Covid, not WITH Covid.

Correct?

Reactions: SLUPSU
PSU cliff notes for those of us who can't read your graph
Sure.

By November 15th, 103 million Americans had contracted, recovered and gained natural immunity from Covid. We know this because 30% of people giving blood in November 2021 had antibodies that only develop from contracting the virus itself.

Based on the latest huge Omicron surge, there should NOW be 159 million Americans with natural immunity, or just under 50%.

Therefore, we are now spreading at a rate of about R(t) = 4 to 5 new infections for each infection.

Meaning that if you get sick, about half the people you meet won’t be susceptible and for Omicron, you’ll infect about 4, rather than 8 to 10.

So we have a while yet to go with this pandemic.

Last edited:
Sure.

By November 15th, 103 million Americans had contracted, recovered and gained natural immunity from Covid.

Based on the latest huge Omicron surge, there should NOW be 159 million Americans with natural immunity, or just under 50%.

Therefore, we are now spreading at a rate of about R(t) = 4 to 5 new infections for each infection.

Meaning that if you get sick, about half the people you meet won’t be susceptible and for Omicron, you’ll infect about 4, rather than 8 to 10.

So we have a while yet to go with this pandemic.
Back in April the CDC put this out. From February 2020 to March 2021, the CDC estimates 114.6 million Americans were infected with COVID-19 As of Sept they estimate 146 Million

Can you do your thing with the CDC numbers?

Back in April the CDC put this out. From February 2020 to March 2021, the CDC estimates 114.6 million Americans were infected with COVID-19 As of Sept they estimate 146 Million

Can you do your thing with the CDC numbers?
I will. First I need to vet why the CDC has such a large case multiplier (of 4).

If that number were actually right, then this means 76 * 4 = 304 million have had Covid.

That number means R(t) would be under 1.0 and the pandemic would have already collapsed.

So, it is almost surely wrong.

The only other explanation is that even natural immunity, now acknowledged by all parties to be far superior to vax immunity, wanes this fast.

I will. First I need to vet why the CDC has such a large case multiplier (of 4).

If that number were actually right, then this means 76 * 4 = 304 million have had Covid.

That number means R(t) would be under 1.0 and the pandemic would have already collapsed.

The only other explanation is that even natural immunity, now acknowledged by all parties to be far superior to vax immunity, wanes this fast.
my daughter and all her roommates got Covid September 2020 when it raged through college campuses when they all went back in 2020. One of her roommates, who was vaccinated with Pfizer or Moderna (don't know if boosted) got Covid again over the holidays. First time around, she had minor symptoms. This latest time with Omicron actually had a little worse symptoms than the first time (still not bad, just didn't feel well for about 48 hours where the first time around it was just very minor symptoms for 48 hours). So I think even if previously infected you were susceptible to Omicron.

my daughter and all her roommates got Covid September 2020 when it raged through college campuses when they all went back in 2020. One of her roommates, who was vaccinated with Pfizer or Moderna (don't know if boosted) got Covid again over the holidays. First time around, she had minor symptoms. This latest time with Omicron actually had a little worse symptoms than the first time (still not bad, just didn't feel well for about 48 hours where the first time around it was just very minor symptoms for 48 hours). So I think even if previously infected you were susceptible to Omicron.

The only statistic I have is that every Pittsburgh Penguin has contracted Covid out of 21.

Only 2 out of 21 have contracted Covid twice…assuming no false positives.

Then, we have the natural immunity to vaxx ratios.

I have seen 27:1 at the high end and 6.5:1 at the low end.

The only statistic I have is that every Pittsburgh Penguin has contracted Covid out of 21.

Only 2 out of 21 have contracted Covid twice…assuming no false positives.

Then, we have the natural immunity to vaxx ratios.

I have seen 27:1 at the high end and 6.5:1 at the low end.

The study just issued by the CDC for natural immunity had a 3.2 risk reduction when comparing vaccinated/not infected to infected/unvaccinated (I'm averaging the most recent 4 weeks of data and reducing the hazard ratio by 1 according to the footnotes). This was data from NY and CA and goes from May to Nov of last year, pre-omicron.

With the number of omicron cases peaking at nearly 900k/day and over 20 million cases in the last month, reinfection among the unvaccinated has to be a lot more prevalent than you/we think, especially when you consider some of the state case rate data I linked earlier.

Reactions: wilbury

One thing about the numbers is they are as of the end of September. Weve officially gone up about 35 million since then. I would wager that 4x multiplier needs reduced greatly the last 2 months....for one vaxxed people started testing more then when the got a cold and thought they couldnt get covid. The

One thing about the numbers is they are as of the end of September. Weve officially gone up about 35 million since then. I would wager that 4x multiplier needs reduced greatly the last 2 months....for one vaxxed people started testing more then when the got a cold and thought they couldnt get covid. The
I trust the seroprevalence numbers. I don't trust the CDC multiplier, as it is OBVIOUSLY wrong.

Reactions: Ski
The study just issued by the CDC for natural immunity had a 3.2 risk reduction when comparing vaccinated/not infected to infected/unvaccinated (I'm averaging the most recent 4 weeks of data and reducing the hazard ratio by 1 according to the footnotes). This was data from NY and CA and goes from May to Nov of last year, pre-omicron.

With the number of omicron cases peaking at nearly 900k/day and over 20 million cases in the last month, reinfection among the unvaccinated has to be a lot more prevalent than you/we think, especially when you consider some of the state case rate data I linked earlier.

Seems a little low, given all the other information that's out there.

The vaccinated percentage seems really, really high given that time period....I think more like 55% is a good number for that time period.

Note how long the time from previous Covid vs how long from vaxx.

Given the nature of Omicron's mutations (mostly in the spike), its far more likely that natural immunity has held up better than vaccine immunity, wouldn't you think?

I mean, natural immunity is derived from exposure to the whole virus, whereas mRNA is targeting the spike only....and the Omicron variant has a lot of mutations in the spike.

California-Natural-Immunity-vs-Vaxx.png

Seems a little low, given all the other information that's out there.

The vaccinated percentage seems really, really high given that time period....I think more like 55% is a good number for that time period.

Note how long the time from previous Covid vs how long from vaxx.

Given the nature of Omicron's mutations (mostly in the spike), its far more likely that natural immunity has held up better than vaccine immunity, wouldn't you think?

I mean, natural immunity is derived from exposure to the whole virus, whereas mRNA is targeting the spike only....and the Omicron variant has a lot of mutations in the spike.

California-Natural-Immunity-vs-Vaxx.png
This one from LA country 11/7 to 1/8/2022.

One data point missing---age of deaths. They breakdown cases by age group deaths should be just as easy to do. These are more then likely mainly Delta deaths.

Swedish public health agency: "no longer categorizing COVID-19 as a “socially critical disease."

This one from LA country 11/7 to 1/8/2022.

One data point missing---age of deaths. They breakdown cases by age group deaths should be just as easy to do. These are more then likely mainly Delta deaths.

Ok. I’m an idiot.

These are terrible methods for estimating. If you didn’t test positive for Covid some time ago, you go into the class of “not naturally immune”, without further screening.

That pumps up the strength of the vaccine, because lots of people in the vaxxed category are also benefitting from natural immunity.

Ok. I’m an idiot.

These are terrible methods for estimating. If you didn’t test positive for Covid some time ago, you go into the class of “not naturally immune”, without further screening.

That pumps up the strength of the vaccine, because lots of people in the vaxxed category are also benefitting from natural immunity.
But unless I'm reading it wrong wasn't natural immunity in unvaxxed still better then it in the vaxxed?

But unless I'm reading it wrong wasn't natural immunity in unvaxxed still better then it in the vaxxed?
No, I don’t see any data on that.

In the end, no one thinks the vaccine is anywhere close to as good as natural immunity.

We are just arguing about how much better.

So, Israel is essentially 100% (I’m exaggerating) vaxxed, so there is no unvaccinated pool from which to get patients.

I’ve seen various estimates of effectiveness vs. omicron.

It is bad, but not 20% effective bad.

We will know soon.

So, Israel is essentially 100% (I’m exaggerating) vaxxed, so there is no unvaccinated pool from which to get patients.

I’ve seen various estimates of effectiveness vs. omicron.

It is bad, but not 20% effective bad.

We will know soon.
maybe worse

we'll see

NEW - Danish cohort study finds negative effectiveness of mRNA vaccines against Omicron 90 days after 2 injections.

The UK is reporting a similar "negative effectiveness" with the AstraZenaca vaccine.

There's something antigenic in denmark: boosters show negative vaccine efficacy for cases

These “are, clearly, NOT good numbers. fully vaxxed more than doubles your relative chance of contracting omicron.”

Reactions: tlbakernc
maybe worse

we'll see

NEW - Danish cohort study finds negative effectiveness of mRNA vaccines against Omicron 90 days after 2 injections.

The UK is reporting a similar "negative effectiveness" with the AstraZenaca vaccine.

There's something antigenic in denmark: boosters show negative vaccine efficacy for cases

These “are, clearly, NOT good numbers. fully vaxxed more than doubles your relative chance of contracting omicron.”

The lead author of that Danish study says that's all nonsense.

The lead author of that Danish study says that's all nonsense.

hope so

much to review here

much to review here

Not really. There really is not.

I concede that vaccination does cause harm in some people. Really, how could the number of adverse effects be zero? I have no doubt that Gavin Newsome had a reaction to the vaccine. None. I'm sure it's true.

But we are talking about NET BENEFIT. The death rate for unvaccinated people during Delta seemed to be about 6x the death rate for vaccinated people. Every piece of data zeroed in on this number. Sure, you read a CDC article, they find a way to pump it toward 8 or 10x. You read a pro-booster site, and they move it to 15x, but it was basically only during the optimal time for the booster and therefore assumes constant loading of boosters every 3 months or so. Then you look at various states' data, and it seems more like 5x.

In the end, the evidence shows that the vaccine protects the individual significantly - really it does not matter whether that multiplier is 5x or 10x.

Now, if we take Covid deaths among the vaccinated and add to them deaths caused by a reaction to the vaccine, what are we left with? Vaccinated do worse in total than the unvaccinated? Nope. No way.

Now, is the vaccine as effective against Omicron? No one believes that. And anyone who does believe that should simply stop typing. But is it zero? No. I'm sure the author is right in that the reason the calculation goes negative is due to biasing reasons. But is the effectiveness that far out in time essentially zero? Probably. But until we get to that time, the effectiveness is not zero and there's still some benefit.

So obviously if you look at the daily positives, it is in full decline. If we stay on the same rate of decline, by end of next week we will back to pre-spike levels. Appears as if January 29th was the high point in fatality and that is now in decline also. It appears that the daily fatality will go back down under 2000 sometime next week. Pre-Delta spike the daily fatality had gotten as low as 250 back in July of last summer so a ways to go to get back to those levels.

Hospitalizations are obviously also on a high rate downward. Appears as if January 20th was the peak hospital data point. Based on rate of decline, not going to be until March until the hospital data gets back down to lower levels as that rate of decline tends to be a little lower.

So as we see now more and more people talking louder and louder about putting Covid behind us, the data in the next few weeks if it holds to the same pattern as the last few weeks is going to really be in their favor. What I am anxious to see is how low is the daily positives and hospital numbers going to go down. Are we going to get down to levels that we did this summer pre delta spike and if so, how fast can we get there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT