ADVERTISEMENT

OT: the wildfire smoke in Philadelphia was so bad,…

Julio Franco was a helluva player for a long time, the others were throw-ins.
Franco was a helluva a player. Hayes was not.

Julio Franco had 3000 hits. Franco ALONE was better than Hayes. Throw in Manny trillo and George vukovich.

Hayes trade 1983. Phillies 1984-92, 0 playoffs.

Last edited:
Franco was a helluva a player. Hayes was not.

Julio Franco had 3000 hits. Franco ALONE was better than Hayes. Throw in Manny trillo and George vukovich.

Hayes trade 1983. Phillies 1984-92, 0 playoffs.
Just an FYI
Franco had 2586 hits…

Hayes had 1402 hits

La Gardia in NYC under full ground stop due to smoke. That will mess up air travel across the country and around the globe.
Considering how dry it has been in the Northeast and Midwest going back to this past winter, we may see more of this in the upcoming weeks when people start to hike or camp and either unintentionally or intentionally do things to cause these fires.

I live in Pittsburgh and often say that one of the things about which we Western Pennsylvanians never will have to worry are fires because of how rainy it is here, but now I'm concerned that it could happen here. I can tell you that the grass is getting very brown and straw-like here because of the lack of rain.

Last edited:
Considering how dry it has been in the Northeast and Midwest going back to this past winter, we may see more of this in the upcoming weeks when people start to hike or camp and either unintentionally or intentionally do things to cause these fires.

I live in Pittsburgh and often say that one of the things about which we Western Pennsylvanians never will have to worry are fires because of how rainy it is here, but now I'm concerned that it could happen here. I can tell you that the grass is getting very brown straw-like here because of the lack of rain.
I had to look it up. The last day Pittsburgh had rain was May 20th. I can't remember a dry spell this long in spring or summer for Pittsburgh. I've already watered my tomato plants on more occasions than some other summers.

I'd say it's dry like Southern California but it rained three days when I was out there for the Rose Bowl. So much for it never rains in Southern California.

I had to look it up. The last day Pittsburgh had rain was May 20th. I can't remember a dry spell this long in spring or summer for Pittsburgh. I've already watered my tomato plants on more occasions than some other summers.

I'd say it's dry like Southern California but it rained three days when I was out there for the Rose Bowl. So much for it never rains in Southern California.
I think that it was the summer of 1988 in which Pittsburgh had an extremely hot and dry summer and almost no rain for the better part of two months. Usually in Pittsburgh, we don't go more than three or four days without some kind of precipitation.

This past winter, I did not have to shovel snow one time. Other than three extremely cold days around Christmas, we basically had no winter weather; it basically was like an extended late October or early November. I also read today that an El Nino weather pattern is beginning and, depending on how strong it becomes, that usually means that we will have a milder and dryer winter than normal in this part of the country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT