ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Irishman

There was one moment in the film when "Chicken Man" Phil Testa shows up. Keeping with the style of the film, it ran a crawler across the screen as the scene ended saying "Phil Testa was blown up on his porch March 15, 1981.

That brought back memories for me. I was living in Philly in the late 70s and tried to organize a bar tour where we were going to his 26 bars, one for every letter of the alphabet (but not in alphabetic order). Start at 1 pm, go to a new bar every half hour. Had 8-10 people say that they would do it. Only two showed up. That didn't stop me, but by the time that 10 pm rolled around, the two that were with me were fading and we were falling behind schedule. I told the two to hang in this one bar while i zipped around the block and hit a couple of others that were on the list. The "V" on the list was a Italian bar/restaurant called Virgilio's. That day I was getting a bartender's signature in each bar that I went to. When I stopped in Virgilio's and asked the bartender to sign, he said "I ain't signin' nothin'". I was about to politely ask him a second time when I remembered that this place was supposedly mob connected, so I slunk away and just let it drop ( still have the sheet with all the bartender's signatures on it with a note next to Virgilio's saying "bartender refused to sign").

Shift to a couple of years later, specifically 1981. By this time my bar tour was starting to gain legs with a couple of dozen people participating. When we got to Virgilio's, there was a sign on the door "Closed due to death in the family". It was the week after Testa was blown up. I had to quickly find another V, so we all grabbed a couple of six-packs and stood around a Vent on 2nd Street and declared it our V. From then on, that vent became our regular stop on the bar tour (the Philly Inq even picked up on that in a little piece they published a a year later - see below, last two paragraphs).

154800_10100576231514314_6443891_n.jpg

There was one moment in the film when "Chicken Man" Phil Testa shows up. Keeping with the style of the film, it ran a crawler across the screen as the scene ended saying "Phil Testa was blown up on his porch March 15, 1981.

That brought back memories for me. I was living in Philly in the late 70s and tried to organize a bar tour where we were going to his 26 bars, one for every letter of the alphabet (but not in alphabetic order). Start at 1 pm, go to a new bar every half hour. Had 8-10 people say that they would do it. Only two showed up. That didn't stop me, but by the time that 10 pm rolled around, the two that were with me were fading and we were falling behind schedule. I told the two to hang in this one bar while i zipped around the block and hit a couple of others that were on the list. The "V" on the list was a Italian bar/restaurant called Virgilio's. That day I was getting a bartender's signature in each bar that I went to. When I stopped in Virgilio's and asked the bartender to sign, he said "I ain't signin' nothin'". I was about to politely ask him a second time when I remembered that this place was supposedly mob connected, so I slunk away and just let it drop ( still have the sheet with all the bartender's signatures on it with a note next to Virgilio's saying "bartender refused to sign").

Shift to a couple of years later, specifically 1981. By this time my bar tour was starting to gain legs with a couple of dozen people participating. When we got to Virgilio's, there was a sign on the door "Closed due to death in the family". It was the week after Testa was blown up. I had to quickly find another V, so we all grabbed a couple of six-packs and stood around a Vent on 2nd Street and declared it our V. From then on, that vent became our regular stop on the bar tour (the Philly Inq even picked up on that in a little piece they published a a year later - see below, last two paragraphs).

154800_10100576231514314_6443891_n.jpg
Gee, you’ve won the Phi Psi 500, dated a gymnast, and had an Inquirer write-up on a bar crawl you organized. You’re like Kramer, “his whole life is fantasy camp.”

James Hoffa died of natural cause in health? You may be correct. Sheeran was very close to the Hoffa family and kids. To this day, the kids refuse to accept the narrative you refute.

If the Hoffa kids accept that Sheeran (who was very close to the Hoffa family) was their dad's killer, they would eventualy have to relinquish that their dad also had Sheeran hit a few adversaries of Hoffa.

I won’t pretend to be an expert, just know I’ve read a lot that picks apart a lot of the things Sheeran claims to have done. So I’m left not believing much of what he says he did when he was publishing this on his death bed to provide for his family.

Reactions: step.eng69
I won’t pretend to be an expert, just know I’ve read a lot that picks apart a lot of the things Sheeran claims to have done. So I’m left not believing much of what he says he did when he was publishing this on his death bed to provide for his family.
Cincy, I Don't know any inside info on Sheeran. After the .....Paint Houses book was sent to Pop from Washington, Pop never
mentioned Sheeran. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I never read the book, so I didn't question Pop about anything in the book.
Hell, I'm not sure I'll even watch the movie.

I do remembering Brandt mentioning this several yrs ago:

"Since publishing I Heard You Paint Houses 15 years ago, we have received substantial independent third party corroboration of its revelations and conclusions, so much in fact that we added a 57-page Conclusion to the current edition to go along with a 14-page Epilogue that was added to the first paperback edition in 2005 detailing much of that corroboration."

Link: https://slate.com/culture/2019/08/the-irishman-book-publisher-reply-bill-tonelli.html

Cincy, I Don't know any inside info on Sheeran. After the .....Paint Houses book was sent to Pop from Washington, Pop never
mentioned Sheeran. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I never read the book, so I didn't question Pop about anything in the book.
Hell, I'm not sure I'll even watch the movie.

I do remembering Brandt mentioning this several yrs ago:

"Since publishing I Heard You Paint Houses 15 years ago, we have received substantial independent third party corroboration of its revelations and conclusions, so much in fact that we added a 57-page Conclusion to the current edition to go along with a 14-page Epilogue that was added to the first paperback edition in 2005 detailing much of that corroboration."

Link: https://slate.com/culture/2019/08/the-irishman-book-publisher-reply-bill-tonelli.html
Not sure if you'll be able to read this link Step but it's from Life Magazine back in the day from our area. A guy that worked for me had the real copy in hand and showed it to me. His father was one of the 4 to go to jail.

https://books.google.com/books/about/LIFE.html?id=PEkEAAAAMBAJ

Reactions: step.eng69
Not sure if you'll be able to read this link Step but it's from Life Magazine back in the day from our area. A guy that worked for me had the real copy in hand and showed it to me. His father was one of the 4 to go to jail.

https://books.google.com/books/about/LIFE.html?id=PEkEAAAAMBAJ
Thanks for the article Pearl.

LOL, Pearl, I'm getting up in age but I was six yrs old during the union troubles in Scranton. During this time period, my father-in-law was a heavy equipment operator working the Delaware and frankly wasn't able to afford those affairs in the pictures, because there wasn't much work in the northeast.

When the old administration in IUOE 542 in Philly were run out of office in the at the end of the 50's, Robert Walsh was elected Business Manager for 542. Walsh appointed Pop as the District Labor Leader for district 3 with it's boundaries: to the east-the Delaware River, to the west-State Collage, north to the NY boarder and south to the mountain range the Lehigh Tunnel punches through.

In the 60's, the IUOE and other unions relied more on strikes to get the attention of their targets and less on "goons" as the article calls the men.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
Was a little weird watching 70 yearish old Bobby D cracking some guys skull outside a grocery store, even with today's make up. He moves like an old guy now. I hear people say it was boring, imo this is way better than Wolf of Wall Street.

Finished the movie recently. I almost gave up as the first 30 minutes didn't draw me in. But I trudged through and when the Hoffa storyline hit I ended up enjoying it. I'd give it "pretty good" rating.

Last edited:
Was a little weird watching 70 yearish old Bobby D cracking some guys skull outside a grocery store, even with today's make up. He moves like an old guy now. I hear people say it was boring, imo this is way better than Wolf of Wall Street.

I agree, but in the end, worth watching. You forget how good DeNiro is/used to be; 'Flawless' was on HBO the other day and he and Philip Seymour Hoffman are amazing to watch.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Just finished the book, but have not seen the movie yet. I found the book to be very believable and I am now convinced that Sheeran offed Hoffa.

A few observations after reading the book and this thread:

It appears that Patton is to blame/credit for turning Sheeran into a stone cold killer with his "the only good German is a dead German" attitude.

It makes sense that the mob kissed RFK to send JFK a message, as Frank says that is what they often did. Their reasoning was that killing RFK would have brought the feds down even harder on them. The plan worked...for a time.

Lee Harvey Oswald appeared to be one of the "nuts" that were frequently used in big hits. They often brought in Italian orphans for similar jobs, then offed the "nut" because no one would know or care that they are gone. When the "cops" in place failed to kiss LHO after the JFK job, Jack Ruby finished it on his own. I did not know just how close Jack was to Sam Giancana.

The mob felt betrayed by the Kennedy's because they provided major assistance with the Bay of Pigs thing. They also looked at Joe Kennedy (the bootlegger) as basically one of their own.

I always felt Nixon was a POS, but I never realized just how much of a POS he really was.

For a big hit like Hoffa, the contract usually went to a very close associate of the one to be kissed, so as not to tip them off. Hoffa would have never gotten into the car (on his own) if Frank wasn't in it.

There was no mention that Sheeran's daughter dated Hoffa's son.

The Crazy Joey Gallo part was added at the end in the Conclusion - Stories That Could Not Be Told Before. It appears Gallo disrespected Bufalino the night he was whacked.

You never would think that a union would need to whack so many people....but then again, pension funds.

Edit: two more things....

Sheeran was not on his deathbed when he first started talking to Brandt.

DeNiro and Scorsese made the deal to make the movie in 2008.

Last edited:
Just finished the book, but have not seen the movie yet. I found the book to be very believable and I am now convinced that Sheeran offed Hoffa.

A few observations after reading the book and this thread:

It appears that Patton is to blame/credit for turning Sheeran into a stone cold killer with his "the only good German is a dead German" attitude.

It makes sense that the mob kissed RFK to send JFK a message, as Frank says that is what they often did. Their reasoning was that killing RFK would have brought the feds down even harder on them. The plan worked...for a time.

Lee Harvey Oswald appeared to be one of the "nuts" that were frequently used in big hits. They often brought in Italian orphans for similar jobs, then offed the "nut" because no one would know or care that they are gone. When the "cops" in place failed to kiss LHO after the JFK job, Jack Ruby finished it on his own. I did not know just how close Jack was to Sam Giancana.

The mob felt betrayed by the Kennedy's because they provided major assistance with the Bay of Pigs thing. They also looked at Joe Kennedy (the bootlegger) as basically one of their own.

I always felt Nixon was a POS, but I never realized just how much of a POS he really was.

For a big hit like Hoffa, the contract usually went to a very close associate of the one to be kissed, so as not to tip them off. Hoffa would have never gotten into the car (on his own) if Frank wasn't in it.

There was no mention that Sheeran's daughter dated Hoffa's son.

The Crazy Joey Gallo part was added at the end in the Conclusion - Stories That Could Not Be Told Before. It appears Gallo disrespected Bufalino the night he was whacked.

You never would think that a union would need to whack so many people....but then again, pension funds.

Edit: two more things....

Sheeran was not on his deathbed when he first started talking to Brandt.

DeNiro and Scorsese made the deal to make the movie in 2008.

The mob and Kennedys association and conspiracy seems legit to me. It’s kind of made sense for years. I’m sure Joe Kennedy had as many gangster enemies as he did friends. You don’t get wealthy like that without being a prick to somebody

I mentioned earlier in this thread my association to someone that knew Joe Gallo and played cards with him. My guy was slightly older and would tell us what a crazy kid Gallo was. He knew Gallo was way too flamboyant for the old timers, and had been warned to tone it down and stop bringing attention to the mob. The warning was unheeded and he felt it was just a matter of time before JG got whacked for not listening. Same reason so many disliked John Gallo. And I’m pretty sure Joe Colombo was hit for the same reason. Colombo was very popular in my neighborhood in Brooklyn for trying to put a positive image on Italians, but the older goombahs didn’t trust him or like the publicity. Seems like these guys got whacked due to their personality and not listening, rather than from screwing over the wrong people.

The mob and Kennedys association and conspiracy seems legit to me. It’s kind of made sense for years. I’m sure Joe Kennedy had as many gangster enemies as he did friends. You don’t get wealthy like that without being a prick to somebody

I mentioned earlier in this thread my association to someone that knew Joe Gallo and played cards with him. My guy was slightly older and would tell us what a crazy kid Gallo was. He knew Gallo was way too flamboyant for the old timers, and had been warned to tone it down and stop bringing attention to the mob. The warning was unheeded and he felt it was just a matter of time before JG got whacked for not listening. Same reason so many disliked John Gallo. And I’m pretty sure Joe Colombo was hit for the same reason. Colombo was very popular in my neighborhood in Brooklyn for trying to put a positive image on Italians, but the older goombahs didn’t trust him or like the publicity. Seems like these guys got whacked due to their personality and not listening, rather than from screwing over the wrong people.

Agree completely. I think Giancana got it for the same reason. From what I took from this book and others, for the most part the old school mobster flew under the radar and lived a quiet, comfortable life....Capone probably being an exception….but the younger generation liked the spotlight, and the power went to their heads. In the book, John Gotti, the Teflon Don, was described as an "insubstantial dreg".

Reactions: PearlSUJam
Agree completely. I think Giancana got it for the same reason. From what I took from this book and others, for the most part the old school mobster flew under the radar and lived a quiet, comfortable life....Capone probably being an exception….but the younger generation liked the spotlight, and the power went to their heads. In the book, John Gotti, the Teflon Don, was described as an "insubstantial dreg".

All very true. I did business with a guy that had some connections to Gotti. This guy tried to emulate Gotti and thought nothing would happen to him. He was very flamboyant, thru money around all over. Got indicted and did 5 years for bribery cause the feds were so pissed about the way he acted, they went after him with a vengeance. Knew another guy I’m pretty sure was a made member of Gotti’s family. This guy was old school. Very nice, polite and unassuming. You’d never know he was connected or who connected to. We just knew not to ever piss him off.

I watched it with Son2 a month or two ago, and admittedly we were plenty stoned, but after it ended we were both 50% in. Now cousin sal recently rewatched it and after mixed feelings the first time, he’s now all in. Following his lead I put in about 90 minutes last night and with the exception of a 75yo De Niro curb stomping the grocer, I’m back in on the movie. Should put mom to bed and finish tonight.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I just got around to seeing it last night with my 20yo son. I thought it was a really good movie. Italian actor hall of fame. I liked how they aged and de-aged the actors with camera technology, and I agree that the curb-stomping scene looked like a 45yo with a 75yo body. The mob connections to the Bay of Pigs, Kennedy assassination, and pretty much all major events of the '60s and '70s seemed a bit Oliver Stone-ish from a conspiratorial standpoint, but it played well in the movie and was overtly believable.

I just got around to seeing it last night with my 20yo son. I thought it was a really good movie. Italian actor hall of fame. I liked how they aged and de-aged the actors with camera technology, and I agree that the curb-stomping scene looked like a 45yo with a 75yo body. The mob connections to the Bay of Pigs, Kennedy assassination, and pretty much all major events of the '60s and '70s seemed a bit Oliver Stone-ish from a conspiratorial standpoint, but it played well in the movie and was overtly believable.[/QUOTE
Read the book if you can . It pencils in a lot more details . It certainly makes one think about the mob and politics being intertwined .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT