ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Irishman

PearlSUJam

Dec 31, 2013
I tried to search back to find threads on the movie to post this in. I think a lot of old threads got wiped out in the latest update?

Anyway, has anyone been lucky enough to see it yet? I saw it was shown locally in NEPA yesterday as an invite only. If so, thoughts?

I tried to search back to find threads on the movie to post this in. I think a lot of old threads got wiped out in the latest update?

Anyway, has anyone been lucky enough to see it yet? I saw it was shown locally in NEPA yesterday as an invite only. If so, thoughts?
Not yet. Seeing it tomorrow.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
Please check back in and let us know what you think. I'm anxiously waiting for the Netflix release.
Will do. But it’ll be later in the evening. Can’t believe it’s 3.5 hours long. I like longer movies but that’s pushing it.

Wanted to hit Villa Di Roma afterwards for nostalgia but wifey is shooting a little higher in the Zagat guide... Oh well. I tried.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will do. But it’ll be later in the evening. Can’t believe it’s 3.5 hours long. I like longer movies but that’s pushing it.

Wanted to hit Villa Di Roma afterwards for nostalgia but wifey is shooting a little higher in the Zagat guide... Oh well. I tried.
Enjoy!

Excellent excellent.

Not often I know the story and read the book it was based on and still come away impressed by the movie. No frills or glitz. Just excellent storytelling.

they did a very good job with it. Get your snacks, find a quiet space without distraction and enjoy.

Excellent excellent.

Not often I know the story and read the book it was based on and still come away impressed by the movie. No frills or glitz. Just excellent storytelling.

they did a very good job with it. Get your snacks, find a quiet space without distraction and enjoy.
Thanks. Really looking forward to it!

Really liked the Godfather series, Goodfellas, the Untouchables, and the like.

The first half of this was engaging, the second half was incredibly dull.

Have to agree. The last hour really dragged. No reason this should have been three and a half hours long.

DeNiro had to wear platform shoes in most of the filming.

ea16d5e4966c58b88db5734263e35553_md.jpg

I thought it was awesome, but that's my kind of movie. I can why others might disagree.

When I pulled it up on Netflix, I read 209 minutes as 2:09, so I was very surprised to find out how late it was when the movie ended.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
First, let me say that I love mob movies and Goodfellas is my favorite movie of all time. However, this movie lost me when they had Deniro playing a younger Sheeran. The scene where he goes in and beats up the grocer was really bad. It was like watching a fight in a nursing home.

First, let me say that I love mob movies and Goodfellas is my favorite movie of all time. However, this movie lost me when they had Deniro playing a younger Sheeran. The scene where he goes in and beats up the grocer was really bad. It was like watching a fight in a nursing home.
The aging stuff just didn’t work for me; it was The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance all over again. I thought Pesci and Pacino were really good but DeNiro just didn’t go beyond meh. It’s the accepted scenario that Sheeran did not kill Hoffa and for Scorcese to handle the emotional aftermath of the killing the way he did was underwhelming. (He gave it the college try with Anna Paquin, “Why didn’t you call Jo?” but that barely registered.)

I’ve been grading, so once that was over I put up Raging Bull, which I hadn’t seen for a couple of decades, it’s so much better than The Irishman.

Last edited:
Joe Pesci is always fun to watch and I thought this was one of his better films. But overall it seems like we’ve seen all this before. It’s the same tired characters from the other films playing more or less the same roles. That was one thing I liked about the Sopranos when it ran on HBO. The actors were refreshing the the plots unique with Tony’s two families - mob and domestic, which was overlaid on his psychological issues. My favorite scene from all the seasons was when the one legged Russian woman stubbed out a cigarette with the end of her crutch. - brilliant. But I digress. The Irishman was just another mafia film IMHO with nothing different about it to make it memorable.

Last edited:
Reactions: whart and wbcincy
I thought it was awesome, but that's my kind of movie. I can why others might disagree.

When I pulled it up on Netflix, I read 209 minutes as 2:09, so I was very surprised to find out how late it was when the movie ended.
I felt the same way after graduation. I couldn't believe seven years had passed.

I haven't seen it yet, so I will reserve judgement, but it seems like casting those three guys is just gratuitous or a money grab, rather than an attempt to make a great film. DeNiro hasn't been anyone other than himself in more than 20 years.

I haven't seen it yet, so I will reserve judgement, but it seems like casting those three guys is just gratuitous or a money grab, rather than an attempt to make a great film. DeNiro hasn't been anyone other than himself in more than 20 years.

he’s been mailing it in the whole time. Silver Linings play book was ridiculous.

I thought it was good, not great but it was “good”. That last 45 minutes is.....a little slow.
Read somewhere DeNiro talked Pesci intro doing it, and Pesci has since said this was his last “mob” picture.

I seem to be in agreement with the general consensus. It was fine, I'm glad I watched it. But it could have easily shed 45 minutes from the run time, regardless of how beautifully shot it is.

I thought Pesci was great, Pacino pretty good (Hoffa's character could handle Pacino's overdoing it). DeNiro brought nothing to the table. The aging stuff was awful IMO. When Pesci calls DeNiro "kid" at the gas station it's a laugh out loud moment. And while they were decent about deaging their faces, they still always looked older than what they were supposed to be, and their bodies still moved just like guys in their 70s. Pacino is supposed to be 49 years old when he gets up out of the chair at his house to walk away. He looks every day of 80. DeNiro's shoulders are hunched and his back rigid all the time. And the grocer scene is just embarrassing. If this were unknown actors and director, we'd be hearing almost nothing of it and the reviews would be poor, IMO.

Story was good. DeNiro and crew pretending to be a young truck driver Hoffa etc with computer smoothed face all hunched over like mr burns just ruined it for me.

Ridiculous

Reactions: artsandletters
Story was good. DeNiro and crew pretending to be a young truck driver Hoffa etc with computer smoothed face all hunched over like mr burns just ruined it for me.

Ridiculous
Worst part was when DeNiro “beat up” the corner store owner. His stomps, kicks and punches wouldn’t have broken through a wet paper bag.

I thought it was good, not great but it was “good”. That last 45 minutes is.....a little slow.
Read somewhere DeNiro talked Pesci intro doing it, and Pesci has since said this was his last “mob” picture.

From what I heard, Scorsese offered Pesci the part and he couldn’t turn Marty down, so he came out of retirement to do this film.

Reactions: PSUTENN1
I seem to be in agreement with the general consensus. It was fine, I'm glad I watched it. But it could have easily shed 45 minutes from the run time, regardless of how beautifully shot it is.

I thought Pesci was great, Pacino pretty good (Hoffa's character could handle Pacino's overdoing it). DeNiro brought nothing to the table. The aging stuff was awful IMO. When Pesci calls DeNiro "kid" at the gas station it's a laugh out loud moment. And while they were decent about deaging their faces, they still always looked older than what they were supposed to be, and their bodies still moved just like guys in their 70s. Pacino is supposed to be 49 years old when he gets up out of the chair at his house to walk away. He looks every day of 80. DeNiro's shoulders are hunched and his back rigid all the time. And the grocer scene is just embarrassing. If this were unknown actors and director, we'd be hearing almost nothing of it and the reviews would be poor, IMO.

I'm working my way through this now. I do like that it's very typical Scorsese - lots of cool songs, interesting camera angles, trademark cuts, long single tracking shots, a little breaking the fourth wall, cool flashbacks, gritty violence, and it's very stylish (Jesus the black car Frank drives is gorgeous). But, we've seen all this before with better results. I think the casting was a huge misstep here (save Pesci, who I think owns the film). Agree with the de-aging techniques which are great, but the movements are those of old men. I have no idea how old Frank is supposed to be when he first meets Pesci's character - he looks like he's about 45? But like you pointed out - the hunched shoulders and slow movements make everything weird to watch. As for Pacino as Hoffa, I like Jack's version better. Again, Pacino is way too old to be effective here - he's mostly just himself with a wig.

That said, I'm enjoying the film so far, but can't imagine it will have staying power like Goodfellas. I think one of the things running through my head is, 'Is Frank a reliable narrator? Is he making this stuff up?' I do appreciate Netflix for giving Scorsese the money and freedom to do this film though he should probably get off of his high horse wrt superhero films.

Oh, and read a cool story about Pesci on twitter. Someone wrote when he was a kid (about 20 years ago I guess) he saw Pesci at the airport and was a big fan of his from Home Alone. He went up to get an autograph and while getting it Pesci asked who his favorite actor was. The kid said, 'You are.' Pesci hands him a $100 bill and says 'That's the right answer, kid.'

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT