ADVERTISEMENT

OT steak cooking

The Stan

Aug 20, 2001
Just had the best steak I've ever cooked, and maybe have ever eaten. Just got a sous vide circulator. Cooked a 1.5 inch thick NY strip for 1hr at 129. Was interrupted and ended up going for 1hr, 15min. Then finished on a cast iron griddle on my grill for 45 sec each side. Wow!

Anyone else cook using sous vide? What should I try next?

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Just had the best steak I've ever cooked, and maybe have ever eaten. Just got a sous vide circulator. Cooked a 1.5 inch thick NY strip for 1hr at 129. Was interrupted and ended up going for 1hr, 15min. Then finished on a cast iron griddle on my grill for 45 sec each side. Wow!

Pretty popular method for steak prep currently. Which product did you use?

It may be terrific but there is no way I am waiting an hour to cook my steak.

Did you season the steak before cooking?

Saw a method where they double skewer and then bake the steak, and then finish it on a roaring charcoal chimney (hence the skewers to hold it up). Can't wait to try it.

Saw a method where they double skewer and then bake the steak, and then finish it on a roaring charcoal chimney (hence the skewers to hold it up). Can't wait to try it.
Bake it? Apparently waiting is part of the process.

I would love to try sous vide, but I just got a BGE so that is what I'm playing with these days. If you like soft boiled eggs, I've seem TV chefs cook impossibly perfect soft boiled eggs in a sous vide bath.

Baking a steak should be a felony offense. Baking is a conduction process where hot air heats the food (steak), but hot air dries things out. A grill will also dry out steak, but it's exposed for a much shorter period of time. The sous vide, then sear, seems to be the best possible process for cooking meat. It keeps all of the moisture, cooks to an even tempoerature, and then finally you sear the outside for the texture and maillard reaction.

You can do some sous vide cooking with just a beer cooler. No need for a circulator device (although it does make it easier). Just add hot water to the beer cooler to the proper temperature, add food, close the lid, and wait. Check out the sous vide section of the blog Serious Eats. I have done hard boiled eggs (165°F for 45 min - no bagging needed) and med rare, thick steaks (130°F for about an hour, then sear in skillet). Both were great.

Artsandletters, I salted the steak before bagging. And no, I did not eat it with mayo.

Reactions: artsandletters
Baking a steak should be a felony offense. Baking is a conduction process where hot air heats the food (steak), but hot air dries things out. A grill will also dry out steak, but it's exposed for a much shorter period of time. The sous vide, then sear, seems to be the best possible process for cooking meat. It keeps all of the moisture, cooks to an even tempoerature, and then finally you sear the outside for the texture and maillard reaction.

Keeping the moisture while cooking is mostly a function of temperature. The hotter the protein gets, the more it shrinks (pushing out the water and drying it), and it is not a reversible process if you heat it too much (the protein won't elongate again as it cools). The sous vide works by heating the water to the temp you want, and the temp control is precise enough not to overshoot the set target temp. Hence, it takes longer to cook since it uses a lower temp, but food can stay at the temp practically indefinitely since it won't keep getting hotter. Set it long before you need it and walk away until you need it is great for making food when the serving times can change with little notice (like a restaurant). I'll agree that sous vide is definitely better at achieving the target temp, but the oven when done properly can achieve the same result faster if you have a set time you want to eat.

You can do some sous vide cooking with just a beer cooler. No need for a circulator device (although it does make it easier). Just add hot water to the beer cooler to the proper temperature, add food, close the lid, and wait. Check out the sous vide section of the blog Serious Eats. I have done hard boiled eggs (165°F for 45 min - no bagging needed) and med rare, thick steaks (130°F for about an hour, then sear in skillet). Both were great.

Artsandletters, I salted the steak before bagging. And no, I did not eat it with mayo.

m*cp*(Tf-Ti)

Reactions: Peetz Pool Boy
Keeping the moisture while cooking is mostly a function of temperature. The hotter the protein gets, the more it shrinks (pushing out the water and drying it), and it is not a reversible process if you heat it too much (the protein won't elongate again as it cools). The sous vide works by heating the water to the temp you want, and the temp control is precise enough not to overshoot the set target temp. Hence, it takes longer to cook since it uses a lower temp, but food can stay at the temp practically indefinitely since it won't keep getting hotter. Set it long before you need it and walk away until you need it is great for making food when the serving times can change with little notice (like a restaurant). I'll agree that sous vide is definitely better at achieving the target temp, but the oven when done properly can achieve the same result faster if you have a set time you want to eat.
I know exactly how a sous vide works and how an oven works. Baking in an oven will dry out a steak... if you are talking broiling at extremely high temps, then it is the equivalent of grilling except for the localized maillard reaction where the meat is seared where it rests on the grill.

As I stated in the original post I was interrupted at just about the 1 hr point, by an international call that I wanted to take. After about a 15 minute call, I started back on the process. I'm not sure any other way of cooking a steak could account for a similar interruption.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I know exactly how a sous vide works and how an oven works. Baking in an oven will dry out a steak... if you are talking broiling at extremely high temps, then it is the equivalent of grilling except for the localized maillard reaction where the meat is seared where it rests on the grill.

If you don't set the oven temp too high (finish cooking the exterior before the internal temp can get high enough) or cook too long (overcook the steak), then you won't dry out the steak.

An "Anova Culinary Bluetooth Sous Vide Precision Cooker, 800 Watts, Black." I had been considering it for a few months at 149.99 on Amazon, got it for 99.99 on prime day. I had seen it at 109.99, it is 119.99 now, the price varies alot.

If you don't set the oven temp too high (finish cooking the exterior before the internal temp can get high enough) or cook too long (overcook the steak), then you won't dry out the steak.
Called reverse sear. Put it in the oven set to 200. Let the internal temp rise to about 100 degrees f. Then finish on a hot grill. I usually put salt and pepper on it, but as I understand it that's not using seasoning

No sous vide. No baking. This is the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. You put the damn thing on a grill and cook it to its desired doneness, in my case medium rare.
shutterstock_219229747-750x563.jpg

This is the last time I'm going to say it, but the dry hot air from cooking in an oven will dry out a steak. It's not a hypothesis of mine, but a known fact. That being said people do what they know and what they like to do so more power to you. There are also people like my mother (now deceased) who purposely cooked meat (in the oven, BTW) until it was dry as a bone... virtual shoe leather.

Reactions: fairgambit
No sous vide. No baking. This is the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. You put the damn thing on a grill and cook it to its desired doneness, in my case medium rare.
Medium rare is my favorite, although I'd rather have rare than medium, and that's a great looking steak! But, it seems to be staged... the grill marks on the top of the steak don't match the grate that the steam is sitting on.

Reactions: fairgambit
Medium rare is my favorite, although I'd rather have rare than medium, and that's a great looking steak! But, it seems to be staged... the grill marks on the top of the steak don't match the grate that the steam is sitting on.
It's black magic marker.:)

Not sure about baking the steak, but there are some variations on using the charcoal chimney, such as the picture below.
RibEye11.jpg

Or, you can also put the steak underneath the flaming charcoal starter; not practical for doing multiple steaks, but works well for the average sized individual steak. 2 minutes or so and then flip the steak for another 2 minutes; that leaves the steak on the rare side; dump the charcoal into the kettle, and finish the steak on the grill to taste.

Reactions: BBrown
Pittsburgh rare when done correctly is my favorite. Charred heavily under intense flame and rare in the center.

At home steaks are done on the charcoal grill. Salt pepper and light garlic and onion powder.

Not sure about baking the steak, but there are some variations on using the charcoal chimney, such as the picture below.
RibEye11.jpg

Or, you can also put the steak underneath the flaming charcoal starter; not practical for doing multiple steaks, but works well for the average sized individual steak. 2 minutes or so and then flip the steak for another 2 minutes; that leaves the steak on the rare side; dump the charcoal into the kettle, and finish the steak on the grill to taste.
I never thought of that. I'm going to try it this weekend.

The idea with the chimney is to mimick the really intense heat from a professional kitchen, but it cooks the steak sides so fast that it essentially needs to be cooked properly before it's put on the chimney. Your average grill just can't achieve the desired high temps.

He does have some different ideas on how to cook. I saw a video where he blew the loose ash of charcoal and cooked the steak directly on it.

As I stated in the original post I was interrupted at just about the 1 hr point, by an international call that I wanted to take. After about a 15 minute call, I started back on the process. I'm not sure any other way of cooking a steak could account for a similar interruption.

Just FYI, 900 numbers are not international.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT