ADVERTISEMENT

OT: skins got seriously hosed

supermatt24

May 20, 2008
The ball was clearly thrown forward and then deflected by the Eagles defender. Not a fan of either team but if I were a Skins fan I'd be livid.

I thought the ball came out before his arm went forward, but I'm an Eagles fan. I understand that others wouldn't see it the same way, but the reviewers upheld the call on the field, so they saw what I saw. If you focus on the ball rather than the arm, it didn't appear to me that the ball went forward, thus it wasn't thrown. Tough call though- very close.

Reactions: gfour18
I'm an eagles fan and saw it different. Arm was going forward. He threw the ball. Should have been overturned.

I'm not saying they would have won but the scoop and score ended the game. Again, I have no skin in the game and thought it was an obvious deflected forward pass.

I'm not saying they would have won but the scoop and score ended the game. Again, I have no skin in the game and thought it was an obvious deflected forward pass.
The Redskins got lucky in this way: they now have an excuse for losing. I'm confident they wouldn't have scored if the call had been overturned.

Since it's a new season, I'll repeat something which I would think is already well known on this board: the Redskins have been my only team for going on 45 years.

FYSA, the new rule is that all replays are decided by the league office. New York decided it was a fumble (or there wasn't enough to overturn it). I am an eagles fan but I didn't see it (been sitting in a tree stand all day).

The ball was clearly thrown forward and then deflected by the Eagles defender. Not a fan of either team but if I were a Skins fan I'd be livid.
Play was very close. Could have gone either way. But the rules state. To over turn a call it must be conclusive.

The Redskins got lucky in this way: they now have an excuse for losing. I'm confident they wouldn't have scored if the call had been overturned.

Since it's a new season, I'll repeat something which I would think is already well known on this board: the Redskins have been my only team for going on 45 years.

Lifelong Redskins fan here, and I agree. I'm pretty certain that a reversal would not have changed anything. I've seen enough of Cousins over the last several seasons to know that he was highly unlikely to lead the team to a game winning TD drive in the last 90 seconds. His interception in the fourth quarter, down two points, and inside the red zone was classic Cousins. You cannot throw an interception there, no way, no how. I had been ambivalent about whether or not signing Cousins to a long term contract was the right choice or not, but this performance makes me less so.

Reactions: LionJim
It was ruled a fumble on the field, allowing the play to continue during a pivotal moment in the game. Referee Brad Allen said he called a fumble because of "lack of control in the hand." He said he saw an empty hand as Cousins's arm went forward, and there was not enough evidence to overturn the call following the video review.

It was ruled a fumble on the field, allowing the play to continue during a pivotal moment in the game. Referee Brad Allen said he called a fumble because of "lack of control in the hand." He said he saw an empty hand as Cousins's arm went forward, and there was not enough evidence to overturn the call following the video review.

His hand was empty because he threw the ball before the defender even made contact, the ball was just immediately deflected. I don't fault the refs on the field but the replay way pretty clear IMO. Skins would likely have lost anyway but that was a pretty substantial call to get so wrong.

Reactions: OXLion

So you went from rooting for the Redskins in high school to rooting for the NFL Redskins? No love for the local NFL team where you grew up?

Sorry, Tom, no. As a matter of fact, I would make a point of choosing the topic of my American History presentations to be the Battle of Little Bighorn.

I fear you're a hopeless cause. Not a big surprise considering the Neshaminy background, but I digress. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT