ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Since your schooling ended, where have you lived? Your likes/dislikes of those places?

Rabun Gap, Georgia- beautiful area but a bit creepy....watch Deliverance. They filmed the movie there.
Franklin, NC- western NC is beautiful as well and an outdoor paradise. Too far from civilization. An hour from Asheville and even then not a ton to do.
Pearland, TX- love it despite the heat. Houston is six miles north and the city is incredible. 45 minutes from the coast with all sorts of activities. Great place to raise a family and you can swim year round.

Been in New Orleans sine 1992. Have enjoyed it over the years but as I get older I am getting tired of the 90 degrees and 90% humidity for 4 1/2 months.
We do have a swimming pool to cool off.

Providence, RI: Can't say that I enjoyed it
Harrisburg, PA area: nothing special but it was close to family
Suburbs north of Milwaukee, WI: loved it but winters were cold and way too long
Near Doylestown, PA: good place
About to retire to Ocean View, DE: we'll see

Marshfield, MA -- sleepy NE beach town, bedroom community. Still have family there.
Richmond, VA -- lot's of history, never thought they'd take down the statues on Monument Ave. Stayed for a decade. The Fan was a fun place to live.
Carrboro, NC -- hippy little brother of Chapel Hill. Pretty groovy place.
Durham, NC -- urban part of the western Triangle. More of a city vibe. Good food, up and coming downtown. Durham Bulls...
Chapel Hill, NC -- college town, similar to State College, but not nearly as isolated with Durham and Raleigh just a hop and a skip.

Reactions: kevin310
Pittsburgh - grew up there so comfortable lived in city [Mt Washington and Squirrel Hill loved the city hated the weather
West Bloomfield Mich [suburb of Detroit] - better than it's reputation but not great
Atlanta - lot's to do, raised kids there hot, but very enjoyable
Laguna Niguel Ca. [1/2 way between LA and San Diego] weather and scenery is spectacular. expensive real estate but if you can afford it really nice. San Diego = great city. L.A. way to crowded stay away
Ocean Isle Beach NC - Small beach town Like Mayberry on the ocean. Great retirement place. People are wonderful

The last 2 we currently split our time about 50/50. Very fortunate, in many ways best of both worlds.

My wife and I were born and raised in Wilkes-Barre. I grew up in the North End, her in South Wilkes-Barre, right across from Meyers High School. We met as a result of mutual friends of ours who were going together at the time, I was starting my senior year in high school, she her junior year. After a 6 year "courtship", we married and spent the first year in an apartment complex on the west side of the river. Around the time we had to renew for our second year, an aunt of my wife's told us about a widow she knew who was selling her house in the Back Mountain and moving to Florida. Long story short, we bought the house and for the last 41 years, I have been a happy resident of Shavertown, PA. My only complaint is reserved for my next door neighbors who have taken it upon themselves to take in EVERY stray and feral cat in the city. The smell of the cat waste makes it impossible to set foot outside my door without a gas mask, this after we have spent thousands of dollars building a deck and upgrading our front porch. But I have seen the zoning officer (who I know very well and have expressed my concerns to)and a cat rescue person around lately so I hope the problem is being resolved. Other than that, I have come to love suburban living and if I ever had to move, it would be farther away from the city. I have fond memories of the town I grew up in, but hate the fact that I need two things to go back into it: 1 a gun, 2 a multi language translator.

I’ve had several problems with stray cats. Have you tried using a cage trap?

I returned to Chester County after graduating and worked in Wilmington, DE for 6 months. Living at home was okay, but it was better for me to leave.

Got a job in Manhattan in June of 1988. Lived in 3 Bergen County, NJ towns: Ridgefield with my Aunt, Palisades Park on my own and with my girlfriend. These towns were directly across the Hudson River by the GW Bridge. We could get to Yankee or Giants Stadium in less than 15 minutes ( or it could take hours!) Nice bedroom communities. Pal Park ended up as a huge Korean enclave. Interesting tensions between older "American" residents and new buyers who worked for Daewoo and Samsung. Separate Little Leagues. Every other storefront was in Korean. For us it was mostly a place to sleep. Bus commuting into Port Authority...sucked!

We then moved to Hawthorne, NJ about 20 miles West. My bride is from Franklin Lakes/Wychkoff so we were essentially in her home area. I commuted via bus again..and it was even worse! Otherwise very nice area, not unlike where we live now in my hometown, but the home prices/values are triple!

My wife is 2 years older and wanted kids. I wanted 1 year of not commuting to grow my career and take advantage of the perks (tix/dinners etc). We moved to a condo at 69th and West End Ave on Upper West Side. I walked to work. She drove out to Franklin Lakes. Then she got a job in NYC so we stayed another year. Then she got a job in Westport, CT and reverse commuted via train/driving. Just before 96 Olympics we moved to CT.

First spot was Rowayton Woods apartments in Norwalk, CT..right by Metro North, walkable to train. GREAT spot. Had our son living there and then bought a house in the borough of Rowayton proper. AWESOME community, private beach, smell of salt water everywhere, more boats than houses, full calendar of events, wonderful young spirited community, all 1 hour from Grand Central. It felt like vacation every evening! Train commuting was soooooo much better than bus. Bar car, meeting buddies, it was like Cheers. When I moved away my beer guy Kenny gave me a hug and shed a tear! Loved, loved, loved Rowayton....however there was a snob effect and sort of negative undercurrent too due to Wall Street $. As a Sr. VP at the world's largest Sports Marketing Agency I was the poorest guy on my street...by FAR! Other negatives: gas prices were sky high and I think registering vehicles was scaled to value of car. Also, since we were part of the City of Norwalk (about 75k population) my taxes were around $10k per year to cover social services, police, fire etc. My boss lived on the water in Old Greenwich next to Frank and Cathy Lee Gifford and paid $2,000 on a multimillion dollar home. Ugh!

Post 9/11 we chose NOT to take a transfer to Shanghai for 2008 Olympics and moved to my hometown. Real Estate exchange was beyond favorable ( we got the deed and money back!) We have been here in Kennett Square for 18 years and I wouldn't want to live or raise my kids anywhere else. 2.6 acres is great to have dogs and quarantine on. My kids learned to ski on my backyard, they attended a very diverse school system and weren't locked in a monochromatic bastion of privilege. Both were accepted to and on the Dean's List at highly,selective colleges. Through the ups and downs of life there is a big benefit of living where you work and having deep roots in a community. I coached, knew the parents of many students, and had the benefit of rooting for our sports teams as if the players were my own, which in many cases they were!

We did own a cottage on Tilghman Island, MD for a few years. While most around here go to Poconos or DE/NJ beaches we preferred the laid back atmosphere of the Chesapeake. All spots are 100 miles from my house...a good array of places to have fun.

My name is already on my tombstone awaiting the day for me to join my daughter. The oldest living male in my paternal lineage is 79...so I've got 24 years to play out the string.

If we had the $ we'd buy our old studio apt in NYC in a second...but that will never happen. Overall I've been fortunate to love where I've lived!

After PSU:
Atlanta (Sandy Springs and then Decatur) - 94 - 96 - just before the Olympics - Pros - Atlanta was booming, good economy got a nice starter job which helped jump start my career. Also, plenty to do and plenty of young people were moving their so it was easy to meet people and make friends.Moved with 3 friends from PSU. Cons - I never had allergies until I moved to Atlanta. 95 degrees and 90% humidity are not fun.
Baltimore 96 - 98 - pros - Meet my future wife and in August of next year we will celebrate our 20 yr anniversary. Great location as far as getting to other places like the beach/NYC/Philly to see friends and DC. Also an easy drive to Pittsburgh to see family. Cons - not the safest place on the planet - still hot and humid in the summer.
Denver (essentially) 98 to now - best weather on the planet - easy access to loads of outdoor activities. Denver has grown up while we've been here food wise and activity wise in the city. Cons - Denver is great which means a whole lot of other people have moved here and the infrastructure has not been able to keep up.
Next stop - I guess that depends - both my parents are still alive as are my In-laws. If that changes in the near future, I would like the next stop to be Spain or Slovenia. If it doesn't (and I'm not hoping for that) then somewhere in Northern ID or MT.

With the post about relocating to Florida, which I hope to do in a few years as well (at least a 6-month plus snow birdie), it got me to wondering after your schooling ended (high school, undergraduate, post-graduate, whatever) where have you lived and what were your likes or dislikes of that area?

My sons have moved to Virginia and Colorado and both are doing well and like living where they are. It definitely helped their careers to do so.

For me after Penn State:
-Southwest PA
-Harrisburg area - missed being around passionate professional sports fans. It was nice being close to Baltimore and Philly. Moved back to SW PA for family medical reasons
-Southwest PA - I like that Pittsburgh isn't too big of a city yet offers the amenities of a big city. I never feel overwhelmed or overcrowded.

So where have you lived and what were your likes or dislikes about that area?

It's interesting was just talking about this over dinner with my kids last night. Born and raised in Doylestown so way back when it seemed like when you graduated college you moved back in with your parents or near your parents to look for a job if you didn't have one upon graduation. Your parents/grandparents/aunts and uncles/friends were all there... Before moving to Florida I had always lived in the Doylestown area and worked in Eastern Pa/NJ/NYC. Talking with my kids now upon graduation kids go wherever in the country. Depending on interests or job op. Not nearly as many move back around their parents. Perfect example my friends 2 kids just recently graduated from PSU and 1 is now living in Salt Lake City and the other in North Carolina while they are still in the Doylestown area. It's global economy and kids want to spread their wings early and go. So if they like the mountains/hiking/skiing/etc and those area's they are not afraid to move up to new england or out west. Others maybe like the coastline move there, others maybe warmer climates move there, others look at the best job op don't care where it is but move there. Kids graduating today seem much more likely to move around the country or world while not knowing anyone in those area's where they move and work. Just interesting conversation with my kids in the differences in the world over the several decades when they graduate....

After PSU:
Atlanta (Sandy Springs and then Decatur) - 94 - 96 - just before the Olympics - Pros - Atlanta was booming, good economy got a nice starter job which helped jump start my career. Also, plenty to do and plenty of young people were moving their so it was easy to meet people and make friends.Moved with 3 friends from PSU. Cons - I never had allergies until I moved to Atlanta. 95 degrees and 90% humidity are not fun.
Baltimore 96 - 98 - pros - Meet my future wife and in August of next year we will celebrate our 20 yr anniversary. Great location as far as getting to other places like the beach/NYC/Philly to see friends and DC. Also an easy drive to Pittsburgh to see family. Cons - not the safest place on the planet - still hot and humid in the summer.
Denver (essentially) 98 to now - best weather on the planet - easy access to loads of outdoor activities. Denver has grown up while we've been here food wise and activity wise in the city. Cons - Denver is great which means a whole lot of other people have moved here and the infrastructure has not been able to keep up.
Next stop - I guess that depends - both my parents are still alive as are my In-laws. If that changes in the near future, I would like the next stop to be Spain or Slovenia. If it doesn't (and I'm not hoping for that) then somewhere in Northern ID or MT.
If I weren't married I would have stayed in Atlanta after 96. We had a big office there and I still have top contacts/acquintances with the sports teams execs. GREAT market to be a single guy. Between the " white caps" ( lughead southern dudes wearing their SEC college hats backwards) and a larger gay market my single workers lead extremely "active" dating lives. Even had one dude request a transfer back to the Midwest...he said he just couldn't be distracted so much anymore!

Worked in Boise on Ore Ida business. Lot's of Californians. Was in the Billings, MT airport when Brett Conway kicked the FG to barely beat Texas Tech. Visited family/friends in Portland and Seattle last summer. I liked the Northwest. Very different than East Coast living.

Charlottesville, VA - just an awesome place
Tampa - not much I liked
Philadelphia - close to Phila sports
Manhattan for 12 years - the hot women
Fort Myers, FL - weather and beaches
Philadelphia - sports
Punta Cana - just winter weather and cheap

I loved Manhattan and really like Fort Myers, but if I moved back it would be around Bonita Springs.

I think I will retire in Europe... Maybe the Nice, France area in Summer and St Maarten in the winter.
Highly recommend the French side of the island - St Martin over the Dutch side.

Grew up in WV, then after Penn State:

Pittsburgh (6 months)
Virginia Beach, VA (4 years - very military/transient, but I lived in a great neighborhood dominated by locals, walk to the beach)
Alexandria/Arlington, VA (4 years - loved it, but I was young and single and could live in close to the great bars and restaurants and avoid the commute; great attractions)
Houston, TX (5 years - cheap cost of living, great job opportunities, otherwise hated it, terrible climate/aesthetics)
Colorado Springs, CO (13 years - fantastic climate/aesthetics, close enough to Denver attractions but more affordable and great recreation opportunities; now getting divorced and need to figure out where I want to be after my kids graduate HS in a few years!)

Rabun Gap, Georgia- beautiful area but a bit creepy....watch Deliverance. They filmed the movie there.
Franklin, NC- western NC is beautiful as well and an outdoor paradise. Too far from civilization. An hour from Asheville and even then not a ton to do.
Pearland, TX- love it despite the heat. Houston is six miles north and the city is incredible. 45 minutes from the coast with all sorts of activities. Great place to raise a family and you can swim year round.

guy I work with is from Franklin. He reminds people all the time that's where Last of the Mohicans was filmed

Wife (girlfriend at the time) lived in Tosa for 4 years before moving to South Milwaukee for the last 2 years up there. We still have good friends up there and always talk about how if we could both get jobs there, we'd move there. Really liked the area for sure. We joke about how when she was there and i would visit in the winter, I would take her to work in her 2000 mitsubishi galant and from house to hospital and back, it would never warm up all the way and blow anything but lukewarm air.

Pittsburgh - grew up there so comfortable lived in city [Mt Washington and Squirrel Hill loved the city hated the weather
West Bloomfield Mich [suburb of Detroit] - better than it's reputation but not great
Atlanta - lot's to do, raised kids there hot, but very enjoyable
Laguna Niguel Ca. [1/2 way between LA and San Diego] weather and scenery is spectacular. expensive real estate but if you can afford it really nice. San Diego = great city. L.A. way to crowded stay away
Ocean Isle Beach NC - Small beach town Like Mayberry on the ocean. Great retirement place. People are wonderful

The last 2 we currently split our time about 50/50. Very fortunate, in many ways best of both worlds.

Wife and I rented a place down there and will be there 15-22AUG. Staying down at 2nd and highpoint (far E end of the island). First time there (we normally go to sunset or holden beach). any suggestions? Taking the kids.

PA Dutch Country to London then Tokyo? Could they be more different?

I missed Wolfsburg and Rotterdam. No. They could not have been more different. It was wonderfull. There are so many more places I want to live but I am 69 years old.... So, Maybe only 1 or 2 more after countries let me back in before the bucket gets kicked.

I’ve had several problems with stray cats. Have you tried using a cage trap?

Thanks for the suggestion but it's impossible to trap double and maybe triple digit invaders.My wife has also tried EVERY deterrent suggestion on the internet. Our yards have more citrus peels and chunks than Florida and California combined.

guy I work with is from Franklin. He reminds people all the time that's where Last of the Mohicans was filmed

Wife (girlfriend at the time) lived in Tosa for 4 years before moving to South Milwaukee for the last 2 years up there. We still have good friends up there and always talk about how if we could both get jobs there, we'd move there. Really liked the area for sure. We joke about how when she was there and i would visit in the winter, I would take her to work in her 2000 mitsubishi galant and from house to hospital and back, it would never warm up all the way and blow anything but lukewarm air.

Wife and I rented a place down there and will be there 15-22AUG. Staying down at 2nd and highpoint (far E end of the island). First time there (we normally go to sunset or holden beach). any suggestions? Taking the kids.
They filmed Nell and a few small films while we lived there. Parts of The Fugitive and Cold Mountain were supposedly filmed in that area as well. We'd see some famous folks from time-to-time in Highlands and Cashiers. We lived there from 1999-2013. I could've stayed a little longer but my wife didn't want our kids growing up in the mountains.

My son lives in Millsboro, Your wife will die for the outlets and make sure you hit Big Fish Grill, Striper Bites, Bethany Blues and the Iron Hill Brewery for food. If you have kids/grandkids, check out the Hopkins Farm Creamery for ice cream. The cows are right there to tell you how good it is.

Reactions: Woodpecker
If I weren't married I would have stayed in Atlanta after 96. We had a big office there and I still have top contacts/acquintances with the sports teams execs. GREAT market to be a single guy. Between the " white caps" ( lughead southern dudes wearing their SEC college hats backwards) and a larger gay market my single workers lead extremely "active" dating lives. Even had one dude request a transfer back to the Midwest...he said he just couldn't be distracted so much anymore!

Worked in Boise on Ore Ida business. Lot's of Californians. Was in the Billings, MT airport when Brett Conway kicked the FG to barely beat Texas Tech. Visited family/friends in Portland and Seattle last summer. I liked the Northwest. Very different than East Coast living.

No doubt - Atlanta was a lot of fun - still get back there as one of those friends still lives in Atlanta (Actually Roswell) and he is about a 10 minute drive the Verizon concert venue (if it is still branded that way) - so if Phish or Panic play on a weekend - I'm on a plane. Regarding Boise - we looked at Boise and figured we missed the start of the boom and we are now looking for retirement places - not necessarily the city and continued professional opportunities. So my spots in northern ID run more like McCall or Sandpoint and Montana is more Big Sky, Whitefish or Hamilton.

After PSU:
Can’t go wrong with Sandpoint or Bozeman

Reactions: Skilion2
No doubt - Atlanta was a lot of fun - still get back there as one of those friends still lives in Atlanta (Actually Roswell) and he is about a 10 minute drive the Verizon concert venue (if it is still branded that way) - so if Phish or Panic play on a weekend - I'm on a plane. Regarding Boise - we looked at Boise and figured we missed the start of the boom and we are now looking for retirement places - not necessarily the city and continued professional opportunities. So my spots in northern ID run more like McCall or Sandpoint and Montana is more Big Sky, Whitefish or Hamilton.
My sister lived in Sandpoint for about 8 years. Fantastic place. Have a buddy whose parents live in a Condo right next to Big Sky - they split time between there and Terlingua near the Big Bend.

So you’ve got a good eye for retirement spots

Winchester, VA - was a great place back in the '80's probably more congested now
Parkersburg, WV - not much good to say about this
Newark, DE - for the past 30 years. Kind of a mini State College, tons of outdoor rec options, love it here

Just Palm Beach Gardens for a year, then Jupiter since then. Tough place to leave.
My parents lived full time in Palm Beach Gardens for 17 years at PGA National, but had a home there starting in 1981.

Just Palm Beach Gardens for a year, then Jupiter since then. Tough place to leave.

I can see why Jupiter is amazing :cool:.... Not sure what our future holds... right now we just love Delray Beach too much to think about anywhere else and plan on being here forever. Maybe a condo out west somewhere in Colorado or Utah for hiking/skiing. Planning on staying in our house as long as possible here until we move across the street to the rocking chair home. Unless it gets to be too much then maybe a condo.

Reactions: PrtLng Lion
It's interesting was just talking about this over dinner with my kids last night. Born and raised in Doylestown so way back when it seemed like when you graduated college you moved back in with your parents or near your parents to look for a job if you didn't have one upon graduation. Your parents/grandparents/aunts and uncles/friends were all there... Before moving to Florida I had always lived in the Doylestown area and worked in Eastern Pa/NJ/NYC. Talking with my kids now upon graduation kids go wherever in the country. Depending on interests or job op. Not nearly as many move back around their parents. Perfect example my friends 2 kids just recently graduated from PSU and 1 is now living in Salt Lake City and the other in North Carolina while they are still in the Doylestown area. It's global economy and kids want to spread their wings early and go. So if they like the mountains/hiking/skiing/etc and those area's they are not afraid to move up to new england or out west. Others maybe like the coastline move there, others maybe warmer climates move there, others look at the best job op don't care where it is but move there. Kids graduating today seem much more likely to move around the country or world while not knowing anyone in those area's where they move and work. Just interesting conversation with my kids in the differences in the world over the several decades when they graduate....
Funny, what you are describing. Made me think back.
I feel like that was the situation i n'90 when I graduated as well.
Hardly any of my acquaintances moved back home, except the ones from the Philly area. Probably a weird coincidence of who I hung out with.

Reactions: bwifan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT