ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Since your schooling ended, where have you lived? Your likes/dislikes of those places?

State College

Fishertown, small totem living. Liked the seclusion, but not much to do

Alaska, multiple remote locations. An adventure. Felt like a frontier.

New Orleans, pre Katrina. Neat town. I miss it in many ways.

Wheaton MD. (DC burbs) liked the area, didn't like the apt or the traffic

Santa Monica. Never understood the allure of LA, but Santa Monica was gorgeous

Lewisburg PA. A nice town to settle down in

Fishertown? Right in my back yard! Wondering what brought you to fishertown.

Favorite place was the San Francisco Bay Area, but that was 30 years ago. Today it is overcrowded, overrun by government, over taxed, and excessively expensive. That's what can happen when the best climate merges with the best beauty.

Worst place was Northern New Jersey, essentially suburban New York City. Not bad in terms of things to do. Some of the same cost pitfalls as the SF Bay Area, but without the climate. Worst of all was the nature of the people -- aggressive, push and shove types. Could not trust anyone. Lying and manipulation was the order of the day.

Honestly wish I knew where one could go these days for a decent climate without exorbitant real estate and/or taxes. The best fit socially with reasonable costs seems to be hot and humid places.

Really would like a place that is free of ice and snow without excessive summer heat, and that means west of the Cascade Range along the West Coast. That area is not only exceedingly expensive, but unfortunately is now run by Antifa followers and their protagonists. I guess if you're willing to live in a tent, spread your excrement on the street, and are not bothered by violence, you don't have to worry about the taxes.

Favorite place was the San Francisco Bay Area, but that was 30 years ago. Today it is overcrowded, overrun by government, over taxed, and excessively expensive. That's what can happen when the best climate merges with the best beauty.

Worst place was Northern New Jersey, essentially suburban New York City. Not bad in terms of things to do. Some of the same cost pitfalls as the SF Bay Area, but without the climate. Worst of all was the nature of the people -- aggressive, push and shove types. Could not trust anyone. Lying and manipulation was the order of the day.

Honestly wish I knew where one could go these days for a decent climate without exorbitant real estate and/or taxes. The best fit socially with reasonable costs seems to be hot and humid places.

Really would like a place that is free of ice and snow without excessive summer heat, and that means west of the Cascade Range along the West Coast. That area is not only exceedingly expensive, but unfortunately is now run by Antifa followers and their protagonists. I guess if you're willing to live in a tent, spread your excrement on the street, and are not bothered by violence, you don't have to worry about the taxes.
Nashville, TN area meets all your criteria except one: Summers can have high heat/humidity. Mountains nearby. Can reach NC, GA and FLA beaches in 5-6 hours.

Reactions: whart
Just Palm Beach Gardens for a year, then Jupiter since then. Tough place to leave.
I was quite close to moving into abacoa or Egret Landing (was working in that complex on PGA right off the Nb95 off ramp at that time). Still bring my dogs to the dog beach there occasionally. Beautiful town.

Last edited:
Syracuse NY - Enjoyed it as a much younger man. Now, too friggin' cold!
Adana Turkey - Enjoyed it. Inexpensive living and nice people, although now with Erdogan in charge I am not so sure I would want to go back.
Rome NY - Enjoyed it as a much younger man. Now, too friggin' cold!
Dover DE - Off the beaten path and felt constricted on the peninsula, especially in the summer time.
Universal City TX - Enjoyed it, but too friggin' hot.
Belleville IL - Been here 23+ years, but mostly for employment reasons.

Still would prefer to be in Southwest Central PA. It is and always will be "home".

Waterford and Erie, PA- great except for the weather.
Parkersburg, WV- not a big fan of the city or the state.
Lexington, KY- awesome place to live. I love everything about it.

Reactions: helixville
NOLA - San Diego - NOLA - FL Panhandle - Fl east coast....grew up in the northeast. Loved all of the places for various reasons. San Diego....just perfect weather, laid back people and lifestyle. NOLA, great people and food that is just out of this world. So many wonderful times there. I love where I'm at now....have no intention of leaving.

Nashville, TN area meets all your criteria except one: Summers can have high heat/humidity. Mountains nearby. Can reach NC, GA and FLA beaches in 5-6 hours.
Or slide over to Asheville NC. Little cooler, and a little closer to the beaches.

NOLA - San Diego - NOLA - FL Panhandle - Fl east coast....grew up in the northeast. Loved all of the places for various reasons. San Diego....just perfect weather, laid back people and lifestyle. NOLA, great people and food that is just out of this world. So many wonderful times there. I love where I'm at now....have no intention of leaving.
I work with a NOLA girl - from an old NOLA family. She is hilarious and so easy to rile. I tell her you can get the best King Cakes from the supermarket in Austin and she goes bananas. She’s also an LSU fan and is a mental wreck before game day - her whole house has a purple and gold theme going on.

She’s real cute even now - in her late 40s. Was buds with a lot of athletes and hung out with Shaq a lot - raves about how nice he is. Unfortunately she’s married because cute, funny, sports fan, and loves to hike - not a bad combo

College location-Southern California

Post college-Central New Jersey

What was not to love about Southern California during the late 80’s early 90’s. Great weather, hot babes and a solid economy. My issue was family and they lived in NJ, so I moved back and this is where I’ve lived my entire adult life.

I will not retire in NJ, where I will be retiring is yet to be determined.

Last edited:
Reactions: kevin310
I work with a NOLA girl - from an old NOLA family. She is hilarious and so easy to rile. I tell her you can get the best King Cakes from the supermarket in Austin and she goes bananas. She’s also an LSU fan and is a mental wreck before game day - her whole house has a purple and gold theme going on.

She’s real cute even now - in her late 40s. Was buds with a lot of athletes and hung out with Shaq a lot - raves about how nice he is. Unfortunately she’s married because cute, funny, sports fan, and loves to hike - not a bad combo
There are a ton like her down south.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
York, Pa., for about a month after graduation, where I grew up.
Easton, Pa. -- Close to NYC and Philly, canoeing on Delaware River. I mostly worked nights, so it was hard to make friends.
Bridgewater, N.J. -- Closer to NYC, boring suburban life.
Bethlehem, Pa. -- See Easton. I liked the downtown, Musikfest and the old steel mill which became an arts center.
Bahama, N.C. (Pronounced Buh-HAY-muh) -- Rural area 20 minutes from downtown Durham. My front yard borders Durham's reservoir. I am never leaving.

Born: Meyersdale
Lived: Erie, Waterford, Kearsarge, Oil City, Pittsburgh before age 6
Schellsburg-New Paris Area last 42 years

Family has been in Bedford County for 200+ years.
Bedford county native, left after PSU.
To:
Punxsutawney dying coal country & Phil
Clearfield it was a place to live
Greensburg enjoyed our time there
Harrisburg endured it
Nottingham Amish country
Shreve, OH an hour southwest of Akron, our favorite residence due to the property
Retired

We want to move back to PA when my wife retires - near our grandchildren if possible. We need to escape buckeye land. Actually we haven't had much hassle from buckeyes but we are very rural, Amish again. If we could haul the property back to PA we would do it in a minute.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT