ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shenandoah Valley

ao5884

Oct 1, 2019
My employer has asked me to take a position on In the Lexington area. I've only driven through the area, where should I start my home search? Good schools are must, also I dont cantore than an hour commute.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I made many trips to Lexington when I lived in Virginia. The town of Lexington itself is where I would start. It's pretty, historical, and a college town (VMI, Washington & Lee). A friend who used to live there speaks highly of the city schools, but not so much about Rockbridge County schools.

The War of Northern Aggression is an always-interesting topic of discussion down there. :)

Wish I could help. All I know about Lexington is it's where I was introduced to Cookout restaurants. Awesome food! Stopped going and coming on a trip south a few years ago. Good luck on your search.

Reactions: Nashville Lion
My employer has asked me to take a position on In the Lexington area. I've only driven through the area, where should I start my home search? Good schools are must, also I dont cantore than an hour commute.
Since you haven't provided any information regarding the following, it will be hard to give advice:
Your age
Are you married?
Kids (ages)?
Are you currently living in a small, medium, or large town (city)?
Do you prefer small, medium, or large towns (cities)?

If you have only "driven through the area" (I assume via the interstate), you really need to go and visit and eyeball the area yourself. Lexington, VA and the surrounding area is very rural (probably only 8,000 people in Lexington) and you are not going to have a lot of choices in neighborhoods, schools, etc.

Finally, I have no idea what you are trying to say with this statement - "I dont cantore than an hour commute"

I love the area and spent a lot of time there in a prior job. Bedford County and Roanoke County probably have the most well regarded schools in the area along with Lexington City. Bedford and Roanoke County are probably on the edge of your desired commute however.

Roanoke is halfway decent for shopping and restaurants but you certainly don’t want to live in city limits.

VA schools are county based with exceptions for “cities” such as Roanoke, Harrisonburg and Lexington so the quality of schools in a given county district can vary quite a bit.

Everywhere around that area of Va is nice and picturesque. I would stay away from Roanoke..just ghetto. Our schools are ran by county so you won’t be having multiple districts in one county like pa. My suggestion is to focus in on the county you’d like to live in and go from there. At least you’re not in NoVa where traffic is abysmal and housing prices are outrageous.

Yes
Using my google BWI translator, I’m getting “I don’t want more than an hour commute”.
Yes, I know that Is a combo of fat fingers and a broken screen so it's hard to see what I typed. As far as it being a rural area, I'm used to that I'm from one of the most rural areas of PA it was an hour commute to Walmart so an hour to work is nothing

Lexington is an awesome little town. I graduated from VMI (undergrad)....if you want to DM me your phone number we could chat sometime. Congrats on the new job. the Shenandoah Valley is one of the most beautiful areas of the country...and very historic.

Reactions: The Shelter
A few tidbits about lexington...for a town of around 10,000 people it has a lot to offer...some very very cute little shops, restaurants. Two of the best institutions of higher learning. VMI is Division 1A for sports....FCS. They are in the southern conference...so they play teams like Furman, Elon, ETSU, the Citadel. Marshall, Appalachian State and GA Southern used to be in that same conference before they moved up.
Washington and Lee is one of the best schools in the nation. They have a top 20 law school in America. VMI gets some pretty impressive guests to Post. I have seen two different presidents at VMI.

Reactions: The Shelter
A few tidbits about lexington...for a town of around 10,000 people it has a lot to offer...some very very cute little shops, restaurants. Two of the best institutions of higher learning. VMI is Division 1A for sports....FCS. They are in the southern conference...so they play teams like Furman, Elon, ETSU, the Citadel. Marshall, Appalachian State and GA Southern used to be in that same conference before they moved up.
Washington and Lee is one of the best schools in the nation. They have a top 20 law school in America. VMI gets some pretty impressive guests to Post. I have seen two different presidents at VMI.
I agree with Nashville Lion - great town. You can say hi to former PSU hoops star Dan Earl who is the head coach at VMI.

Reactions: Nashville Lion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT