ADVERTISEMENT

Football OT: Salsa recommendations

Dylan Callaghan-Croley

Staff
Jun 14, 2020
Welcome to the offseason...

MY first question of the offseason for everyone is .. what are your salsa recommendations.

I'm a big chip and salsa guy, it's my go-to snack so what's everyone's favorite salsa? Bonus points if it's on the hotter side.

If you like something garlicky and not sweet, and if you don't need your salsa to be really chunky, then Mateo's Gourmet Salsa is excellent.

This stuff out of San Antonio has never done me wrong:

91WKqYtVWVL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Pickup the ingredients and make your own. Nothing better than fresh salsa. It's not hard to make. And make it as hot as you want. It freezes well also.
Invest in one of those press down choppers (not slap chopper) that cuts everything uniform. Tomatoes, red onion, garlic, jalapeños, lime, corn, salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Done. I love this stuff during the summer when the tomatoes and corn are peak.

Agree with @PAgeologist above. It doesn't take much to make a good salsa. I simply use roma tomatoes, onions, and cilantro. I add in some yellow and green peppers with garlic. If you want it hot, add in some jalapenos. I don't like it hot but my Brother in Law does. So I serve it with "The general's hot sauce" on the side. This sauce not only tastes good but the packaging is a conversation starter.

810cAkRa9mL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Invest in one of those press down choppers (not slap chopper) that cuts everything uniform. Tomatoes, red onion, garlic, jalapeños, lime, corn, salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Done. I love this stuff during the summer when the tomatoes and corn are peak.
I do as well. Excellent use of the abundance of tomatoes we end up with.

I make a version with mango as well that is excellent to eat or put on grilled fish.

Every good salsa requires good limes that meet the flavor profile you're looking for in the salsa. In all cases, choose smooth skin limes. Limes only ripen when on the tree and they turn yellow when ripe. Green limes (unripened) will be very acidic and tart while yellow limes will be sweeter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT