ADVERTISEMENT

OT Review of Eclipse in Southwest Ohio

dailybuck777

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2018
I visited a friend West of Dayton and was in the path of a total eclipse. The eclipse glasses were very useful and easily showed the moon as it moved to block out the sun. The weather was in the 70s and great. The total eclipse lasted about 2.5 minutes and was beautiful to watch. I expected total darkness for that period but although it was reasonably dark, it wasn't totally dark. I would give it a 9 on a scale of 10.

My son and his girlfriend went to Montreal. I got a little concerned that they may have goofed when our local Philly ABC station had a reporter in Plattsburgh, NY interview a French Canadian couple who headed South FROM Montreal.

There were apparently 150,000 in the city celebration my son was at. He called it "surreal" and "life changing shit."

Meanwhile Mom and Dad sat in my grandparents' aluminum/ribbon 70s lawn chairs in our driveway in SEPA. It was cloudy, but with wind we had moments that were clear. The 90% wasn't what we thought it would be and our dogs didn't react at all.

I'm 58. My Dad was the oldest living male in my paternal family lineage. He died at 79....so I guess I'll be on deaths' door when the next one comes around in 2044.

Might as well go for it all then...

My son and his girlfriend went to Montreal. I got a little concerned that they may have goofed when our local Philly ABC station had a reporter in Plattsburgh, NY interview a French Canadian couple who headed South FROM Montreal.

There were apparently 150,000 in the city celebration my son was at. He called it "surreal" and "life changing shit."

Meanwhile Mom and Dad sat in my grandparents' aluminum/ribbon 70s lawn chairs in our driveway in SEPA. It was cloudy, but with wind we had moments that were clear. The 90% wasn't what we thought it would be and our dogs didn't react at all.

I'm 58. My Dad was the oldest living male in my paternal family lineage. He died at 79....so I guess I'll be on deaths' door when the next one comes around in 2044.

You are right, because a 90% blockage of the Sun wouldn't make it that dark. If you bought the eclipse glasses, it would have been fun to look at the Moon orbiting in front of the Sun because the glasses work extremely well. Nonetheless, not that impressive of an event where there is only a 90% blockage.

A lot of cloud cover in the Texas hill country so I saw bits and pieces. 4 minutes and 5 sec of totality on the lonely ranch road I was on. Lots of clouds at totality so that was a bummer.

The cows near me were freaking out. Lots of mooing and walking to their barns

I watched from my backyard in NE Ohio with some friends and family. It exceeded all expectations. In the morning, it was cloudy and we thought about going to Toledo but around 11am it cleared. It was perfect on the lakefront with mid-60s and sunshine.
  • totality was a game changer. The difference between a sliver of light and totality was, literally, night and day. It was like a blanket got rolled out when it went total. Very cool.
  • the temperature dropped about 10 to 15 degrees and people that had taken off their sweatshirts were scrambling to put them back on
  • my solar lights all went on, the wave action changed as the wind kicked up just a tad.
  • People were playing Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon", walking on the sun, and a total eclipse of the heart in the 'hood. There was no parking as several people had lakefront parties.
  • After totality hit, I turned around to look at the lake and was stunned. At sundown on a nice day, you get an orange hue to the west (where the sun has just set) that gets darker to the east. During totality, it was like the western sunset but across the entire horizon. I took a pano shot on my phone that came out great.
My 19 year old daughter who has gotten to see a lot with our travels said it was the greatest thing she's ever seen in her life. Finally, a photographer got this shot above Cleveland's iconic terminal tower. Lastly, the weather people said that historically there is a 66% of cloud cover on 4/8 so we got really lucky. This photog planned this photo for several years; scouting locations and plotting where the sun would be during totality. Amazing.

4XYJ4YFIA5DFLP43476CZRZGLM.jpg

Last edited:
I visited a friend West of Dayton and was in the path of a total eclipse. The eclipse glasses were very useful and easily showed the moon as it moved to block out the sun. The weather was in the 70s and great. The total eclipse lasted about 2.5 minutes and was beautiful to watch. I expected total darkness for that period but although it was reasonably dark, it wasn't totally dark. I would give it a 9 on a scale of 10.
Yes, we also live in SW Ohio. My wife and I were dining outside @ a restaurant in Beavercreek, had our special glasses and glanced occasionally. It was not totally dark during totality but was dark enough for the street lights @ The Greene to come on. It was also much cooler as the sun was blocked. I count it as a wink from the Lord as he shows us the glory of his creation and how he has patterned things.

I watched from my backyard in NE Ohio with some friends and family. It exceeded all expectations. In the morning, it was cloudy and we thought about going to Toledo but around 11am it cleared. It was perfect on the lakefront with mid-60s and sunshine.
  • totality was a game changer. The difference between a sliver of light and totality was, literally, night and day. It was like a blanket got rolled out when it went total. Very cool.
  • the temperature dropped about 10 to 15 degrees and people that had taken off their sweatshirts were scrambling to put them back on
  • my solar lights all went on, the wave action changed as the wind kicked up just a tad.
  • People were playing Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon", walking on the sun, and a total eclipse of the heart in the 'hood. There was no parking as several people had lakefront parties.
  • After totality hit, I turned around to look at the lake and was stunned. At sundown on a nice day, you get an orange hue to the west (where the sun has just set) that gets darker to the east. During totality, it was like the western sunset but across the entire horizon. I took a pano shot on my phone that came out great.
My 19 year old daughter who has gotten to see a lot with our travels said it was the greatest thing she's ever seen in her life. Finally, a photographer got this shot above Cleveland's iconic terminal tower. Lastly, the weather people said that historically there is a 66% of cloud cover on 4/8 so we got really lucky. This photog planned this photo for several years; scouting locations and plotting where the sun would be during totality. Amazing.

4XYJ4YFIA5DFLP43476CZRZGLM.jpg
Awesome stuff. Yeah - clear skies make all the difference. Maybe some day I’ll get lucky (2044)

Reactions: Obliviax
Was a great experience as I saw it in Cleveland with family. We saw a red dot at the bottom during totality which turned out to be a huge solar prominence. A rare event, even Jim Cattore said he never saw one before.

Traffic was crazy. The trip to Cleveland is usually 1.5 hrs. Got in car three hours after totality and nav system said trip would 2.6 hrs. It took us through a totally different route to avoid traffic jams as interstates were all backed up everywhere. Still hit some back ups.

And what was funny was that even as we traveled back roads off interstate over half the other cars were out of state. Cars from NJ to Virginia to the Carolinas. All eclipse chasers. One report said the I79 from Cranberry Township (north of Pittsburgh) was at a standstill all the way to Erie. A distance of 70 miles or so.

First total eclipse. Can’t wait for next!

Awesome stuff. Yeah - clear skies make all the difference. Maybe some day I’ll get lucky (2044)
While the media keeps saying 20 years until the next one, that is for the lower 48 states. There will be one across northern Alaska in 2033 from Barrow to Nome for those hardy souls.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
I'm in St Louis. We had 98% blockage, and mostly clear skies. Without glasses it was hard to tell anything was happening until it got near 98%. Then, it was still light, but eerily muted. Temp dropped probably 5-10 degrees, or at least it felt that way.
Some people here drove 1-2 hours to get to a place with totality. It was fine and interesting, but I couldn't envision time off work/school for it.

I'm in St Louis. We had 98% blockage, and mostly clear skies. Without glasses it was hard to tell anything was happening until it got near 98%. Then, it was still light, but eerily muted. Temp dropped probably 5-10 degrees, or at least it felt that way.
Some people here drove 1-2 hours to get to a place with totality. It was fine and interesting, but I couldn't envision time off work/school for it.
You and several other people have mentioned a temperature drop, which I didn't notice. In my shoes, having seen it, I believe it is very much worth a 1 and 1/2 hour drive to see totality compared to 98% eclipse.

You and several other people have mentioned a temperature drop, which I didn't notice. In my shoes, having seen it, I believe it is very much worth a 1 and 1/2 hour drive to see totality compared to 98% eclipse.
It dropped 9 degrees, officially, here in CLE. I was not sure what it was as it always "feels" much colder when in the shade versus the sun this time of year. I liken it to northern CA where the sun feels great on your face but is measured at ~ 60 degrees. but when you get a rapid temp change, you also get a breeze and that makes if feel cooler as well (like when the heat pump kicks on in a forced air heating system)

Absolutely. No comparison between 98% and totality. I’d liken it to almost getting laid to the real deal but I am not that rude👹

A lot of cloud cover in the Texas hill country so I saw bits and pieces. 4 minutes and 5 sec of totality on the lonely ranch road I was on. Lots of clouds at totality so that was a bummer.

The cows near me were freaking out. Lots of mooing and walking to their barns
I watched from Cedar Park. The clouds parted for us about 10 min prior to totality and it stayed clear until about halfway through totality (we got a little under 4 min), it was perfect and couldn't have gone better given how cloudy it was yesterday. It was an amazing experience, totally worth traveling to see at least once IMO.

After totality hit, I turned around to look at the lake and was stunned. At sundown on a nice day, you get an orange hue to the west (where the sun has just set) that gets darker to the east. During totality, it was like the western sunset but across the entire horizon. I took a pano shot on my phone that came out great.
Sounds amazing, let's see it!

I wasn’t in Ohio, but I went to Texas to visit my son who lives in the DFW. We were in the path of totality for 3 minutes. It was one of the most amazing events I have ever witnessed in my life. I took some pictures with my iPhone but between trying to manually adjust the iris and the focus, they just don’t do it justice. Even some of the news coverage didn’t adequately convey just how awesome it was. The sky got darker, street lights came on, and a dog across the street started howling. A once in a lifetime event for sure. My wife wasn’t expecting much and after she said the whole experience was amazing.

It was sunny here and with the solar radiation being cut to 2% of normal, we had very little heat and energy from the sun getting here. IDK if the temp actually dropped or if it dropped more than a degree or two, but it felt noticeably cooler.
Might just have been the absence of the sun's energy...like how 70 degrees feels different when it's sunny vs cloudy.

I don't know how to post personal photos. do you?
It has to be hosted somewhere online first, then you can paste either the link or photo itself. Places like google photos, imgbb, imgur, etc. typically allow free uploads that you can link to, just make sure you don't include info you don't want to like other files, location data and what not.

It was sunny here and with the solar radiation being cut to 2% of normal, we had very little heat and energy from the sun getting here. IDK if the temp actually dropped or if it dropped more than a degree or two, but it felt noticeably cooler.
Might just have been the absence of the sun's energy...like how 70 degrees feels different when it's sunny vs cloudy.
it dropped 9 degrees here, according to the experts.

Reactions: heckmans
I wasn’t in Ohio, but I went to Texas to visit my son who lives in the DFW. We were in the path of totality for 3 minutes. It was one of the most amazing events I have ever witnessed in my life. I took some pictures with my iPhone but between trying to manually adjust the iris and the focus, they just don’t do it justice. Even some of the news coverage didn’t adequately convey just how awesome it was. The sky got darker, street lights came on, and a dog across the street started howling. A once in a lifetime event for sure. My wife wasn’t expecting much and after she said the whole experience was amazing.
Been telling my family for months I was going anywhere to make sure I saw it. Tried to get them to all go along but they weren’t into it at all.

We all met in Cleveland and weather was 50/50. At 7 AM it was drizzling and I was ready to jump in car early and drive to Dayton where predictions were far better. My sister refused saying she didn’t care if it rained all day….. just wanted to see family.

But clouds starting breaking around ten so I stayed put. Skies cleared out except for a little hardly-visible thin cirrus clouds. It was surreal and everyone there said it was an amazing experience!

Until you experience totality you don’t understand. It’s like seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time.

Last edited:
It has to be hosted somewhere online first, then you can paste either the link or photo itself. Places like google photos, imgbb, imgur, etc. typically allow free uploads that you can link to, just make sure you don't include info you don't want to like other files, location data and what not.
you learn something new every day! These are facing north and are pano's on my iPhone. But you can see that the "sunset" is consistent from West (on the viewer's left) to the East (on the viewer's right). In a real sunset, the light would have been on the left but dark on the right. Here is is slightly opposite as the eclipse tracked from left to right-ish.

IMG-8932.jpg

IMG-8941.png

IMG-8933.jpg

Last edited:
You are right, because a 90% blockage of the Sun wouldn't make it that dark. If you bought the eclipse glasses, it would have been fun to look at the Moon orbiting in front of the Sun because the glasses work extremely well. Nonetheless, not that impressive of an event where there is only a 90% blockage.
We had the glasses and they were an asset when the clouds were clear- but even with a little coverage they were useless (except maybe saving our retinas!) : )

Been telling my family for months I was going anywhere to make sure I saw it. Tried to get them to all go along but they weren’t into it at all.

We all met in Cleveland and weather was 50/50. At 7 AM it was drizzling and I was ready to jump in car early and drive to Dayton where predictions were far better. My sister refused saying she didn’t care if it rained all day….. just wanted to see family.

But clouds starting breaking around ten so I stayed put. Skies cleared out except for a little hardly-visible thin cirrus clouds. It was surreal and everyone there said it was an amazing experience!

Until you experience totality you don’t understand. It’s like seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time.
My cousin was a Park Ranger in the Canyon for 15 years.

I've been there 2 times- South Rim once and North Rim 2nd.

It snowed the first time and rained the 2nd.

My cousin said I was "lucky" to get to view the Canyon in some natural conditions that most never see.

I just wanted to be able to look across the damned thing.....and haven't yet.

Flew over in a plane a few times- but on the ground I took a ZERO.

Still great!

Experienced "Totality" in Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky. Neat but "enclosed."

Next time around me and the bride will try and find a spot where we get the full experience. They are saying California to Florida- so plenty of friends in those areas.

you learn something new every day! These are facing north and are pano's on my iPhone. But you can see that the "sunset" is consistent from West (on the viewer's left) to the East (on the viewer's right). In a real sunset, the light would have been on the left but dark on the right. Here is is slightly opposite as the eclipse tracked from left to right-ish.

IMG-8932.jpg

IMG-8941.png

IMG-8933.jpg
Wow, great pics, thanks for sharing!

While the media keeps saying 20 years until the next one, that is for the lower 48 states. There will be one across northern Alaska in 2033 from Barrow to Nome for those hardy souls.

My last 4 states to hit are Hawaii, Alaska, North/South Dakota.

Since I might be dead in 20 years maybe the 2033 is my hedge bet?

Wife and I are re-watching Northern Exposure on Netflix....could probably get her to bite right now : )

Good info!

What we saw started as an "Islam Moon" left crescent and as time went on it turned into a "Smiley Face" with a gradually bigger smile. Neat but not the full experience. My wife eventually just went inside....I stayed out with the dogs because I had nothing better to do!

Reactions: dailybuck777
My cousin was a Park Ranger in the Canyon for 15 years.

I've been there 2 times- South Rim once and North Rim 2nd.

It snowed the first time and rained the 2nd.

My cousin said I was "lucky" to get to view the Canyon in some natural conditions that most never see.

I just wanted to be able to look across the damned thing.....and haven't yet.

Flew over in a plane a few times- but on the ground I took a ZERO.

Still great!

Experienced "Totality" in Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky. Neat but "enclosed."

Next time around me and the bride will try and find a spot where we get the full experience. They are saying California to Florida- so plenty of friends in those areas.

Wife and I are re-watching Northern Exposure on Netflix....could probably get her to bite right now : )

Good info!
There is one in Oct this year over southern tips of Argentina and Chile but that is probably already sold out and over priced.

Another in Aug of 2026 over Greenland, Iceland, Spain and Portugal. Sister and BIL have been wanting to go to Iceland to see volcanoes so we just may go see that one.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
There is one in Oct this year over southern tips of Argentina and Chile but that is probably already sold out and over priced.

Another in Aug of 2026 over Greenland, Iceland, Spain and Portugal. Sister and BIL have been wanting to go to Iceland to see volcanoes so we just may go see that one.
My son went to college with the Prince of Iceland....so we got that going for us.

Maybe....

• Love
Reactions: The Spin Meister

IMG-8932.jpg

IMG-8941.png

IMG-8933.jpg
I will second PSU signore and thank you very much for the great pictures. Looks like lake Erie was a nicer place to view than where I was even though I saw some very good images.

Last edited:
Just heard on CNBC that internet traffic was down 60% along the path of totality. Appears people were so enthralled they just stood and stared.

I thought the opposite…… they would all be texting pics to each other. What do I know 🤷🏿‍♂️

Good info!
I would suggest that Hawaii be your first priority. I have lived in Santa Barbara and Naples Florida and they don't hold a candle to Hawaii. Hawaii will exceed your expectations. Congratulations on getting so far.

IMG-8932.jpg

IMG-8941.png

IMG-8933.jpg

So it was a very pedestrian sunset type of deal - got a little darker, got a little colder, and some pretty basic light on the horizon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT