ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Removing wallpaper. DIY good/bad idea, gauging your experiences.

LionJim

Oct 8, 2003
Levittown, PA to Olney, MD
We're redoing the kitchen and the job needs to be done flawlessly. I tried this one time years ago, before I got into the habit of asking the board their opinion, a single wall, and was not at all pleased with my job. I can't risk messing up the job, feeling my wife's disappointment every evening. The wife seems to think that DIY is reasonable and I'm all, "Has she forgotten who she's married to?"

We're redoing the kitchen and the job needs to be done flawlessly. I tried this one time years ago, before I got into the habit of asking the board their opinion, a single wall, and was not at all pleased with my job. I can't risk messing up the job, feeling my wife's disappointment every evening. The wife seems to think that DIY is reasonable and I'm all, "Has she forgotten who she's married to?"

I recommend that you find a way to convince yourself that you like it "as-is".

Drywall and wallpaper jobs are the worst.

Need more data. How old is the wallpaper? Ancient stuff or the self adhering type? On plaster or drywall? How many layers? Has it been painted over? If so how many times and with old lead based paint or latex?

Reactions: brupsu and PSU73
I've seen wallpaper removal get very messy and I've seen wallpaper removal that was remarkably easy. It might be as simple as spraying soapy water on it, giving it time to soak, and then you just pull it off and there's a nice clean wall underneath.

I would go ahead and give it a try but reserve the money to hire a drywall contractor to fix the wall if it needs to be fixed. It's actually not prohibitively expensive even if you have to cut the old wall out and put in new drywall.

As with just about any home improvement project these days, before you begin, an hour spent watching youtube videos and listening to advice will be an hour well spent.

lol, I have to appreciate your honesty. Part of the problem is that this was sprung on us last-minute and we’re scrambling a little.

It's complicated, but I'll spare you the details because they won't help.

Here is how I would approach it. Spray the wallpaper with a 75/25 solution of hot water and white vinegar (protect your floors and woodwork because this will get messy). Let it soak for 3-5 minutes. If you get lucky, the wallpaper may simply peel off. If not, then hire a professional. You won't make the situation worse (start by trying it on a section) and nothing ventured, nothing gained.

LJ - I agree with what tboyer said. You never know how it will go until you do it. Good luck. I've been spending all of my spare time painting 5 new interior doors and trim. Almost done with that then I get to paint the bi-focal doors to a closet. You guessed it. Family is coming in for Easter. Edit- go with what Art says.

Reactions: LionJim
Depends on the wall underneath it. If it is drywall, my experience is that you will have patching to do but if you have patience can be spackled without much sanding. Trick is to water down the spackle a little to make it spread alot thinner and easier without the air bubbles. Mix it really well and use a spackle knife that is very flexible to spread it thin. Let it dry then recoat.

If the wall is plaster it can go easier or be a cluster. I had a house where I peeled 5 layers of wallpaper off and the plaster underneath was flawless and was easily paintable without any touch up. Then there were walls in other rooms where chunks of plaster came out and needed a skim coat of spackle. Other rooms, so much plaster was cracked and no longer sticking to what it was applied to that I just drywalled the entire room right over the plaster.

Bottom line is you are not going to know until you try it. Hot water and vinegar mixture posted above is the right way to go. I used to have a tool that put some little holes in the wall paper before spraying so that the solution got behind it and to the glue to release the glue.

Good luck!!

I did it once before (2002) in the downstairs bathroom and it was very difficult and time consuming. After a few years it began to peel on the corners. If I had to do it again I would use a professional. JMHO

Reactions: brupsu
You probably won't see this post, but there are too many unknowns to properly answer your question.

If it is a small, single wall without cabinetry and (a) the wallpaper proves difficult to remove without damaging the underlying drywall paper face and (b) you desire a perfect job, I can make a strong case that it would be easier, faster and better to actually hire someone to remove, replace, retape and refloat the wall with new drywall.

Let's say it's a wall 8' high by 12' wide. That's only 3 sheets of 4'x8' drywall (installed vertically) at $10/sheet + Labor and finishing materials (tape, joint compound, primer, and paint). Something to consider.

Reactions: hlstone
lol, I have to appreciate your honesty. Part of the problem is that this was sprung on us last-minute and we’re scrambling a little.
Jim, just because you’re now retired with some free time doesn’t mean that your wife ( no matter how much you two ❤️ each other) has the right to expect you to undertake Herculean tasks. What’s next, cleaning up the stable? Anyway I’ve undertaken this task twice I my life. (I guess we all fall prey to damsels in distress). If that wallpaper doesn’t come off easily and cleanly seek out professional help.

By the way, you never mentioned what’s replacing the wall paper unless I missed it. Will it be paneling, painting, going with the ou natural look or new paper? If it’s new wall paper, once again seek professional help for your own sanity. Good luck.

Go to Lowe's or Home depot, buy a device (forget name )that you roll across the wall and it puts small holes in the wall paper, then use spray also bought at either lowe's or Home depot,let that soak in, you then can you a steamer, buy or rent and use a plastic or metal putty scrapper. I just did 5 rooms with this method.

Go to Lowe's or Home depot, buy a device (forget name )that you roll across the wall and it puts small holes in the wall paper, then use spray also bought at either lowe's or Home depot,let that soak in, you then can you a steamer, buy or rent and use a plastic or metal putty scrapper. I just did 5 rooms with this method.
This will definitely help. Most times they are red and round. There are little rolling cutting blades under the red handle. They should be close to the other wall paper stuff in the store. Buy a knife that isnt too wide so you can control it better. Roll that little red thing over the tough spots. you should be good to go!!

triple%20head.png

when you are done, and its a great job, you will be the MAN!! Turn around and scratch your nutz!! ask her next time to give you something hard like computing PI to like 15 decimal points.

Last edited:
I did it once before (2002) in the downstairs bathroom and it was very difficult and time consuming. After a few years it began to peel on the corners. If I had to do it again I would use a professional. JMHO
Removed wallpaper (borders) in 2 bathroom with showers - what a pain in the ass - the steam over the years turns wallpaper glue to superglue - I would recommend wallpaper remover - it’s like snot consistency but if you let it soak and use it liberally it should work for the most part but still some scraping will probable be needed.

If it's painted underneath, then a steamer works great. If it's not painted, then ugh. Lots of solution to soak it, maybe steam, but expect a lot of patching. Frankly, pulling off the drywall and replacing it will be easier, faster, require less spackling, and provide a much better end result. While I see you're not a fan of it, it's not difficult. Regardless of what you choose, always remember several very thin layers of spackle provides a much better result than thicker layers. Not only does it look better, there is less sanding and clean up. Thin layers also dry faster, so the overall time isn't much more. Also, get the cheapest, densest spackle you can get. The stuff with the polymers dries way too soft and shrinks too much for my liking. Go by touch to know when it's smooth, if you can feel it, it will show when you paint. Be fanatical about that part.

My experience... just take the drywall down and replace it. Seriously.

You'll spend as much time scoring, wetting, scraping the wall paper as you would ripping down the drywall and rehanging new. If the drywall wasn't sealed correctly before hanging the wallpaper you will damage the drywall causing the wall to require patching.

My wife and I did our son's room in our old house and it took 4 days to remove the wall paper (room was 12 x 14), then 2 days to 'clean' the residual glue off the walls, then a full week of spackling, sanding, spackling, sanding, spackling, sanding. Hanging new - 2 hours to remove, 1 day to hanging new drywall (including taping and mudding), day 2 you lightly sand and put a second coat of mud on. Day 3 lightly sand and look for imperfections, mud and sand as necessary. By day 4 or 5 you are painting and done. There are not fights, divorce threats, sleeping on the sofa, etc. If you have to contract out the drywall even easier.

Here is how I would approach it. Spray the wallpaper with a 75/25 solution of hot water and white vinegar (protect your floors and woodwork because this will get messy). Let it soak for 3-5 minutes. If you get lucky, the wallpaper may simply peel off. If not, then hire a professional. You won't make the situation worse (start by trying it on a section) and nothing ventured, nothing gained.

You might want to score the wallpaper before spraying.

Reactions: Parkland Fan

You'll spend as much time scoring, wetting, scraping the wall paper as you would ripping down the drywall and rehanging new. If the drywall wasn't sealed correctly before hanging the wallpaper you will damage the drywall causing the wall to require patching.

My wife and I did our son's room in our old house and it took 4 days to remove the wall paper (room was 12 x 14), then 2 days to 'clean' the residual glue off the walls, then a full week of spackling, sanding, spackling, sanding, spackling, sanding. Hanging new - 2 hours to remove, 1 day to hanging new drywall (including taping and mudding), day 2 you lightly sand and put a second coat of mud on. Day 3 lightly sand and look for imperfections, mud and sand as necessary. By day 4 or 5 you are painting and done. There are not fights, divorce threats, sleeping on the sofa, etc. If you have to contract out the drywall even easier.

I might add it's usually pretty easy to find someone to just do spackling. Cutting and hanging drywall is easy, getting that professional look can be well worth the minimal cost for the spackling part if you're not comfortable with it.

Elegantly phrased.

I used a clothes hand steamer...worked very well.

Buy this tool and your job will be much easier. Use a scraper to get any residual glue off the wall while still damp to avoid issues when painting over. I have removed wallpaper from seven rooms in my current home with much success using this.

Last edited:
Reactions: wlawn
This will definitely help. Most times they are red and round. There are little rolling cutting blades under the red handle. They should be close to the other wall paper stuff in the store. Buy a knife that isnt too wide so you can control it better. Roll that little red thing over the tough spots. you should be good to go!!

triple%20head.png

when you are done, and its a great job, you will be the MAN!! Turn around and scratch your nutz!! ask her next time to give you something hard like computing PI to like 15 decimal points.
I'll just add a bit to the advice from the all knowing board. It can go well, but anticipate having at least one problem area.

Obviously, I used DIF when I did it years ago. I also put two coats of primer. I used Zinsser Bin 1-2-3.

Be prepared to have to skim coat an area. If you have to, remember go big if you have to skim coat. The wider the area, the harder it will be for someone to tell where you skim coated.

Best of luck.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
But this tool and your job will be much easier. Use a scraper to get any residual glue off the wall while still damp to avoid issues when painting over. I have removed wallpaper from seven rooms in my current home with much success using this.

That's the one I have.

I'll just add a bit to the advice from the all knowing board. It can go well, but anticipate having at least one problem area.

Obviously, I used DIF when I did it years ago. I also put two coats of primer. I used Zinsser Bin 1-2-3.

Be prepared to have to skim coat an area. If you have to, remember go big if you have to skim coat. The wider the area, the harder it will be for someone to tell where you skim coated.

Best of luck.
yes the Zinsser 1-2-3 is the way to go.

You probably won't see this post, but there are too many unknowns to properly answer your question.

If it is a small, single wall without cabinetry and (a) the wallpaper proves difficult to remove without damaging the underlying drywall paper face and (b) you desire a perfect job, I can make a strong case that it would be easier, faster and better to actually hire someone to remove, replace, retape and refloat the wall with new drywall.

Let's say it's a wall 8' high by 12' wide. That's only 3 sheets of 4'x8' drywall (installed vertically) at $10/sheet + Labor and finishing materials (tape, joint compound, primer, and paint). Something to consider.
I think PPB is right. Everything about wallpaper (hanging it, removing it, getting bubbles out of it) is a beotch. DIY wallpapering is a recipe for a fight with your spouse.

Buy this tool and your job will be much easier. Use a scraper to get any residual glue off the wall while still damp to avoid issues when painting over. I have removed wallpaper from seven rooms in my current home with much success using this.

Exactly the one I used as well

LOL. You must be pretty good at hanging and finishing off wallboard. Most people who have never done it, it takes way longer than that. Plus you have to remove door/window trim, baseboard. If you do it carefully and you get lucky you don't damage the trim and have to buy new trim. If you screw it up then there is new trim ,$$$, painting or stain/varnishing, mitering corners. It's in the kitchen so there is removing the cabinets, re-installing the cabinets. If you can get the wallpaper off, you are way better off even with a lot of spackling and repair work.

Removed wallpaper from 2 bathrooms in our house then painted. Wasn't too bad. Paper peeled off w/o much trouble, except for a few spots.

Third and larger bathroom, we used a pro ... 1st Choice Painting and Carpentry (John Rabner) who was recommended by Dave P from Jane's old department. If I were to do something like this again, I'd definitely call Rabner.

Art is correct on this one. Do a spot check at an edge/seam to see if it will come off relatively easily. If not, hire a professional. Your clarification that you are scrambling probably makes this more important. If it doesn't come off easily, you are going to kill yourself trying to get it off and you will be disappointed by the results.

When I bought my first house, I had a 1/2 bathroom and a bedroom with wall paper. The bedroom was glossy and none of the chemicals worked well. It was like peeling a label off a bottle. The glue residue underneath was just as bad as getting the paper off.
It was so bad that I left the ugly green wallpaper in the half bath for years. When I finally decided to tackle it, it peeled right off, pretty much without any chemical. Did a skim coat, sanded, and was ready to paint.

So again, test it, and if it doesn't come off easily, cut bait and hire a pro. It will cost you less in time, money and aggravation....will also probably improve your marriage :)
Good Luck!

Agree with many of the others. Depends on wall material, paint/primer underneath wallpaper, paint overtop, type of glue etc. It could be simple or it could be hell. Try it, but once you do so there's no going back. Have a contractor ready if it's not a simple job. I've seen walls so bad after paper removal attempts that they required full skim coating and sanding. Once had walls where seams had to have been adhered with superglue. Good luck.

I used a mix of vinegar and water and used a sponge to apply, let the mix soak into the wallpaper a few applications and used a joint compound knife to scrape off.

Was pretty easy.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Arwight, boys and girls, here's an update.

Two important points of clarification: First, the kitchen remodel won't kick off for another month at the earliest so time isn't as much of a factor as I had originally thought and made it out to be.

Second, my younger daughter's fiancé is a contractor. (More upcoming.)

I did a trial run on a wall that's coming down and it went perfectly. I mean, it looked like this:
the-mona-lisa.jpg

I was like the fat kid pulled out of the stands at a basketball game who makes a basket from half court to win $10,000. It couldn't have gone better. So I go to the next wall, and immediately there are glue bubbles and even though the wallpaper has been removed the wall needs to be stripped further, down to the drywall.

My SIL-to-be is going to take care of any drywall issues that pop up, so I'm just going to soldier on and hope for the best. I'm careful and I won't f up anything beyond repair. It's tedious as all get-out but I got the time and I'm watching Better Call Saul while I'm doing it. All good.

Last edited:
Arwight, boys and girls, here's an update.

Two important points of clarification: First, the kitchen remodel won't kick off for another month at the earliest so time isn't as much of a factor as I had originally thought, and made it out to be.

Second, my younger daughter's fiancé is a contractor. (More upcoming.)

I did a trial run on a wall that's coming down and it went perfectly. I mean, it looked like this:
the-mona-lisa.jpg

I was like the fat kid pulled out of the stands at a basketball game who makes a basket from half court to win $10,000. It couldn't have gone better. So I go to the next wall, and immediately there are glue bubbles and even though the wallpaper has been removed the wall needs to be stripped further, down to the drywall.

My SIL-to-be is going to take care of any drywall issues that pop up, so I'm just going to soldier on and hope for the best. I'm careful and I won't f up anything beyond repair. It's tedious as all get-out but I got the time and I'm watching Better Call Saul while I'm doing it. All good.
rules, we have rules......

Waiting on a steamer. It’s going to be a charming experience getting rid of the second layer, the glue backing.

Another question: Aside from the danger of falling off and breaking one’s neck, is it safe to stand on kitchen counters?

Waiting on a steamer. It’s going to be a charming experience getting rid of the second layer, the glue backing.

Another question: Aside from the danger of falling off and breaking one’s neck, is it safe to stand on kitchen counters?

Don't say I didn't tell you that you should try to learn to like the wallpaper you have.

I did try.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT