ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Removing wallpaper. DIY good/bad idea, gauging your experiences.

Waiting on a steamer. It’s going to be a charming experience getting rid of the second layer, the glue backing.

Another question: Aside from the danger of falling off and breaking one’s neck, is it safe to stand on kitchen counters?

Sure, unless they're rotted they're pretty darn strong.

Maybe I'm misreading your post, but you should use a wallpaper remover solution to clean the glue off after the paper has been removed. Get some of this stuff, mix it up in a deck sprayer, spray on liberally, wait 10-15 minutes, and use a wide scraper to scrape off residual glue. Then get a bucket of warm water and big sponge, spray the wall, and then wipe off with the wet sponge. When the bucket gets cloudy, change out the water.

Steamer is for removing the wallpaper only.

Reactions: LionJim
Damn. We will get plenty of use out of the steamer, no question, but I was hoping that it could help with the glue backing. Oh well.

The steamer works great for taking wrinkles out of drapes (when you're done with the wallpaper).

Reactions: brupsu
Waiting on a steamer. It’s going to be a charming experience getting rid of the second layer, the glue backing.

Another question: Aside from the danger of falling off and breaking one’s neck, is it safe to stand on kitchen counters?
I realize now that I had underestimated my reach from atop the ladder so there will be no standing on counters. Feel free to have a laugh at my expense, though.

Need more data. How old is the wallpaper? Ancient stuff or the self adhering type? On plaster or drywall? How many layers? Has it been painted over? If so how many times and with old lead based paint or latex?
Yes IMO age is everything along with the surface you are putting it on.Good luck

Another question: Aside from the danger of falling off and breaking one’s neck, is it safe to stand on kitchen counters? Falling,Do not do it ! That’s my problem,Hire it out

The steamer may soften the glue enough to scrape some or most of it off making removing the rest easier. Try it while still hot.
The steamer will take the glue off, will only have to hold the steamer over the glue about 15-30 seconds.
You should wash the wall before you paint.

I would say it depends on the tonnage placed in the counter!! Jimmy Kennedy I’d say no Kj Hamler, probably ok

Did you rip this wallpaper off yet? Sheesh. I've watched installation crews build a football field in less time. Who was it that sang "Let's get it on.."?

I took most of last week off. Three days in, I’d say, two or three hours a day. Tedious as hell.
Absolutely tedious as hell😂 I work on the side with my brother who gets all his work from a realtor. It appears wall paper and tile floors are out. Are last house we did , took both bathroom tile floors out,talk about a pain in the ass job,not so much braking the tile up, but sanding down the mortal. I took off 5 big rooms of wall paper,including hallways,stair cases. Definitely tedious 😂

I took most of last week off. Three days in, I’d say, two or three hours a day. Tedious as hell.
I wouldn't admit to this. Just me. It's ****ing wallpaper.

Have you lost all perspective?

My 84 y/o Dad would have tackled this last week. Why are you still talking about it?

I'm trying to determine if you're (a) unmotivated or (b) unqualified for this simple task. 🤷‍♂️

Derivative equations are easier than monitoring your lack of progress on this DIY project.

Reactions: sluggo72
I wouldn't admit to this. Just me. It's ****ing wallpaper.

Have you lost all perspective?

My 84 y/o Dad would have tackled this last week. Why are you still talking about it?

I'm trying to determine if you're (a) unmotivated or (b) unqualified for this simple task. 🤷‍♂️

Derivative equations are easier than monitoring your lack of progress on this DIY project.

Maybe he's wise enough to make his wife think the project is even harder than it is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT