ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Really looking forward to Richard Linklater's "Everybody Wants Some!!"

LionJim

Oct 8, 2003
Levittown, PA to Olney, MD
It doesn't come out until next week but the preliminary reviews are at 94% Tomatometer.

It's more or less a fictionalization of his time as a college baseball player, and in a some sense a follow up to "Dazed and Confused," which, as you may recall, had a baseball theme as well. There was recently a short interview with him in The New Yorker and I really liked this quote:

Cinema is inherently nostalgic; Linklater is not. “With ‘Dazed’ I was trying to make an anti-nostalgia film,” he said, pushing his oatmeal aside. “My approach to 1976 was: ‘That time sucked.’ I thought I was going to do a similar thing here, but once I started working with my actors I realized that it was a good time to be young and in college. We had utter freedom, and my only responsibility was gassing my car. I defend the Sugarhill Gang, I defend Van Halen, I defend the Knack—people treat them like a joke, but they were the best teen-angst, teen-sexuality band ever.”

Here's the New Yorker link: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/03/21/richard-linklaters-everybody-wants-some

Reactions: Zenophile
It doesn't come out until next week but the preliminary reviews are at 94% Tomatometer.

It's more or less a fictionalization of his time as a college baseball player, and in a some sense a follow up to "Dazed and Confused," which, as you may recall, had a baseball theme as well. There was recently a short interview with him in The New Yorker and I really liked this quote:

Cinema is inherently nostalgic; Linklater is not. “With ‘Dazed’ I was trying to make an anti-nostalgia film,” he said, pushing his oatmeal aside. “My approach to 1976 was: ‘That time sucked.’ I thought I was going to do a similar thing here, but once I started working with my actors I realized that it was a good time to be young and in college. We had utter freedom, and my only responsibility was gassing my car. I defend the Sugarhill Gang, I defend Van Halen, I defend the Knack—people treat them like a joke, but they were the best teen-angst, teen-sexuality band ever.”

Here's the New Yorker link: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/03/21/richard-linklaters-everybody-wants-some

Linklater is a real visionary, but I like a little more narrative when it comes to film. The last of his I saw was 'Before Midnight' and I was nonplussed save the great performance by Delpy and the wonderful cinematography. Even Dazed and Confused can't hold my interest despite it's quotability (and the few scenes in which Milla Jovovich appears...:). I don't mind these sort of 'excerpts' that his movies tend to be, but I prefer a point of some sort.

10853032_1378390155792772_569952601_n.jpg

Linklater is a real visionary, but I like a little more narrative when it comes to film. The last of his I saw was 'Before Midnight' and I was nonplussed save the great performance by Delpy and the wonderful cinematography. Even Dazed and Confused can't hold my interest despite it's quotability (and the few scenes in which Milla Jovovich appears...:). I don't mind these sort of 'excerpts' that his movies tend to be, but I prefer a point of some sort.

10853032_1378390155792772_569952601_n.jpg
My take on Dazed and Confused is that it's a love letter to a very specific time -- the early teens/young adulthood at the end of summer/beginning of high school in the mid-to-late 70's. IMHO (and despite my inability to craft a concise description) it succeeds at capturing the spirit & nostalgia of that time.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
The trailer is not funny, but the reviews are great. That's been the case with some other great comedies, though. I'm fired up for it - may go to Top Notch burgers on Burnet (seen in Dazed) to grab a chocolate shake before the movie.

And the Knack's first album is killer.

My take on Dazed and Confused is that it's a love letter to a very specific time -- the early teens/young adulthood at the end of summer/beginning of high school in the mid-to-late 70's. IMHO (and despite my inability to craft a concise description) it succeeds at capturing the spirit & nostalgia of that time.

I don't know - when I think of 'love letters' in film form, I think of doting, indulgent shots of places or objects (think any recent Woody Allen movie - Midnight in Paris, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, etc.). I get Dazed and Confused is nostalgic for some but understand Linklater when he says it was supposed to be anti-nostalgic. It's not romanticized in the same way, say, A Christmas Story is. But, it's all good - different strokes and all...

That's a common reaction to Linklater's films and some people just can't get into his stuff. I can understand that and don't claim that he's a "great" director in the usual sense. But he's amazing with his actors and gives them long scenes to allow the characters to develop. In every one of his films there's some absolutely memorable scene, memorable in the sense that you really see the humanity in the characters. (Like, for example, when Ethan Hawke quotes Auden in "Before Sunrise," or when a topless Julie Delpy talks to her stepson on the phone in "Before Midnight," that's a great, great scene.) I just really, really dig his stuff, perhaps in part because he's basically the only director who approaches his films this way. (An important thing about Linklater, he's based in Austin and produces his own films. There's no Hollywood money guy to tell him what to do.) "Lost in Translation" could have been directed by Linklater, I admire that one very much also.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
The trailer is not funny, but the reviews are great. That's been the case with some other great comedies, though. I'm fired up for it - may go to Top Notch burgers on Burnet (seen in Dazed) to grab a chocolate shake before the movie.

And the Knack's first album is killer.

I don't know if you knew about it, but a kid slipped on these steps one time, hit every beam on the way down, autopsy said he had 4 beers...how many have YOU had man?

LMAO,

And yes, The Knack was a GREAT band, that came in at the same time as the Cars and Tommy Tutone....

That's a common reaction to Linklater's films and some people just can't get into his stuff. I can understand that and don't claim that he's a "great" director in the usual sense. But he's amazing with his actors and gives them long scenes to allow the characters to develop. In every one of his films there's some absolutely memorable scene, memorable in the sense that you really see the humanity in the characters. (Like, for example, when Ethan Hawke quotes Auden in "Before Sunrise," or when a topless Julie Delpy talks to her stepson on the phone in "Before Midnight," that's a great, great scene.) I just really, really dig his stuff, perhaps in part because he's basically the only director who approaches his films this way. (An important thing about Linklater, he's based in Austin and produces his own films. There's no Hollywood money guy to tell him what to do.) "Lost in Translation" could have been directed by Linklater, I admire that one very much also.

It is kind of amazing about Dazed and Confused, how big that cast was...some became famous, some went on to rather short careers, and some just quit acting altogether.

D&C is one of those movies that I have to stop and watch when channel surfing. It totally defined my high school years in the late 70's right down to the soundtrack (whose music rights cost more than the cost of the movie production) and the paddling (not that I ever did those things).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT