ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Randy Edsel fired

No I don't believe the no handshake was planned by anybody other than the MD players. Yes Barbour might have been up for discussions about how to make it, if not a rivalry, a game that was meaningful because of its history -- her job is to sell tickets, after all. But no, the B10's fine of Maryland makes it pretty clear this was not planned and the B10 was really unhappy to see what transpired and then Edsall's clueless response.

You have to take Franklin with a little grain of salt sometimes. He is always messaging, selling, marketing. His message to his players and to potential recruits needs to be -- we don't really play on MD's or RU's level. We're a Top 10 program once we get our feet under us again. We're PSU and that means we get the players we want from Delmarva.

But Barbour is in a little different position. She wants PSU fans to go to M&T and buy tickets, she wants Maryland fans to come to PSU. She wants the series to be competitive.
Barbour is getting paid $1 Million per..........by PSU (PSU fans)!.

If she should have any interest in the "competition" between PSU and UMd it should be to do everything she can to assist in the effort to insure that PSU kicks the shit out of UMd 70-0 EVERY year.

That is how you sell tickets to fill Beaver Stadium.

I'm not saying that is NOT what she is doing......just saying that the contention that Barbour should have ANY INTEREST in assisting UMd in being "competitive" with PSU is silly.

Reactions: Ski and Cvilleguy12
No I don't believe the no handshake was planned by anybody other than the MD players. Yes Barbour might have been up for discussions about how to make it, if not a rivalry, a game that was meaningful because of its history -- her job is to sell tickets, after all. But no, the B10's fine of Maryland makes it pretty clear this was not planned and the B10 was really unhappy to see what transpired and then Edsall's clueless response.

You have to take Franklin with a little grain of salt sometimes. He is always messaging, selling, marketing. His message to his players and to potential recruits needs to be -- we don't really play on MD's or RU's level. We're a Top 10 program once we get our feet under us again. We're PSU and that means we get the players we want from Delmarva.

But Barbour is in a little different position. She wants PSU fans to go to M&T and buy tickets, she wants Maryland fans to come to PSU. She wants the series to be competitive.
Barbour is getting paid $1 Million per..........by PSU (PSU fans)!.

If she should have any interest in the "competition" between PSU and UMd it should be to do everything she can to assist in the effort to insure that PSU kicks the shit out of UMd 70-0 EVERY year.

That is how you sell tickets to fill Beaver Stadium.

I'm not saying that is NOT what she is doing......just saying that the contention that Barbour should have ANY INTEREST in assisting UMd in being "competitive" with PSU is silly.

Reactions: Ski
The no-handshake thing basically exposed Edsall as a coach who didn't know his team, didn't teach them about good values, and ultimately wasn't in control of his team. I don't think Edsall was in on the no handshake but if he was any kind of coach he would have gotten wind of it before it happened.

And then his response was so awful -- showed a lack of spine and a lack of understanding of what sports is about. Paterno would have benched those captains for 3-4 games until they really understood the error of their ways. But it wouldn't have come to that. Never in a million years would PSU players have done that.
I agree with just about everything you are saying in this thread, but the above is just flat out wrong.

I agree with just about everything you are saying in this thread, but the above is just flat out wrong.

Yeah I don't think he would have benched them for 3-4 games either. I think he would have removed their captaincy though for lack of leadership (maybe sat them for the 1st quarter of the next game).

Credit to CHF for turning up the heat on Edsel. He can't recruit in his own back yard and CJF gets every 5* coming out of MD & DC

I know he's a traitor, but UMD would do well to interview Larry Johnson I think. At a minimum, their recruiting would stabilize. I don't think he would impact our recruiting as we're already winning a lot of battles against him at OSU.

Johnson already has a good gig over in ahia No way he's leaving that gravy train for a program where CJF will kick his @$$ every year.

Weeeelllll......I'd agree save for him going to OSU as 'Assistant HC'. He wanted the HC job, didn't get it, and left. I think he would have still had a spot on the staff had he wanted it. Going to your former biggest regional rival is is a kick when someone is down IMO.

Word on the street is that there is a certain unofficial sports historian who may happen to share this opinion.

Greg Schiano waiting in the wings.
Poor SOBs.

As an aside, I have an acquaintance whose son committed to Edsall when he was at UConn and was there when Edsall took the Maryland job. My friend had always spoken glowingly of Edsall when he was at UConn, particularly of Edsall's handling of the tragic murder of UConn DB Jasper Howard in 2009. I was impressed with what I had heard, and rooted for Edsall and UConn independently of any personal connection. When Edsall abandoned his team on a plane ride to take the Maryland job, all that goodwill went out the window. He (echoing the words of his son) cursed himself that he ever trusted the guy. The obnoxiousness of MD's captains in 2014, as well as some things I've heard from high school coaches from the recruiting trail, have turned me off of Edsall completely. Good riddance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT