ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Randy Edsel fired

LINK

classless loser does not deserve to coach. he will be forever remembered as engineering the "handshake" debacle.

anyone got a gif of that??

Clowns being clowns....

eff50340-61ee-11e4-a252-a178b2ed1c63_handshake-gif.gif

Reactions: Ski and simons96
Why would they release this now if he is still going to coach this weekend? MD plays OSU this weekend, then has a bye week. The article makes it sound like if MD wins this weekend he might be able to salvage his job. I don't understand why they would release news like this now. Hopefully, RU, MD and Illinois all just rotate coaches so they continue to all suck.

I wondered the same thing, flames.
The article says he doesn't have a lot of friends in the locker room, but announcing that barring a miracle win over ohowIhate, he is gone, seems odd at best. Might be tough to give the pregame speech of "leave it all on the field".

OL

Reactions: Ski
Buckeyes are a 33 pt favorite this weekend. They played some shabby football for a #1 ranked team, but I get the feeling they will unload on the Terps

Dwayne Haskins, very highly rated. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if he moved on.

I know he's a traitor, but UMD would do well to interview Larry Johnson I think. At a minimum, their recruiting would stabilize. I don't think he would impact our recruiting as we're already winning a lot of battles against him at OSU.

Reactions: BBrown and tboyer
I know he's a traitor, but UMD would do well to interview Larry Johnson I think. At a minimum, their recruiting would stabilize. I don't think he would impact our recruiting as we're already winning a lot of battles against him at OSU.
I don't think he's a traitor. PSU left him, he didn't leave PSU. CJF may have taken care of him but he knew it was time to turn the page.

Can't stand that guy.
WOW!!

That didn't take long

UMd was playing at the level of a mediocre 1-AA program this year. I know I mentioned earlier this week....when discussing how many people are going ga-ga over Michigan's early start....that any "non-sucky" program would have beaten Michigan last week, but UMd was well-below the hurdle of "non-sucky" - they were PUTRID.

For those that recall, when Edsall took over at UMd there was a HUGE exodus of players.....many more that what you would typically expect as a result of a coaching change. I doubt if many folks cared for Edsall at all.....and his public persona certainly was not very attractive.

Still......to make this move mid-season (absent any type of "scandal" or what not).....that is kind of stunning

Reactions: LathamCat
Why would they release this now if he is still going to coach this weekend? MD plays OSU this weekend, then has a bye week. The article makes it sound like if MD wins this weekend he might be able to salvage his job. I don't understand why they would release news like this now.

The linked article isn't a release from MD. It's an article from a sports web site indicating that "multiple sources close to the situation told" them of the plan. In situations like that, somebody in authority usually makes a slip of the tongue, then a reporter gets confirmation of the story without any quotes or names on record and publishes it, and then other newspapers/web sites do the same digging and report basically the same unattributed info.

The article indicates Edsall "doesn't have too many fans left in the locker room." That doesn't surprise me one bit. I knew some of the assistant coaches at UCONN, and they indicated to me that Edsall was great at taking credit for the work of others, and very quick to point fingers at coaches, staff members or players when things went wrong. That type of approach rarely endears you to members of the program, and only is tolerated when you consistently win.

I don't think he's a traitor. PSU left him, he didn't leave PSU. CJF may have taken care of him but he knew it was time to turn the page.

Weeeelllll......I'd agree save for him going to OSU as 'Assistant HC'. He wanted the HC job, didn't get it, and left. I think he would have still had a spot on the staff had he wanted it. Going to your former biggest regional rival is is a kick when someone is down IMO.

Larry Johnson is NOT a traitor. He turned down great jobs every year to stay at PSU, repeatedly turned down DC jobs that would have paid a lot more so he could keep coaching the kids he recruited. He left PSU ONLY after he didn't get the HC job -- and he wouldn't have had a job with the new regime anyway.

But I agree 100%, Maryland should recruit Larry Johnson, he'd be a great fit for them. He would have a lot of the qualities that Edsall lacked. Unfortunately it sounds like UMD football is run by the boosters, not the administration, so there's that.

The no-handshake thing basically exposed Edsall as a coach who didn't know his team, didn't teach them about good values, and ultimately wasn't in control of his team. I don't think Edsall was in on the no handshake but if he was any kind of coach he would have gotten wind of it before it happened.

And then his response was so awful -- showed a lack of spine and a lack of understanding of what sports is about. Paterno would have benched those captains for 3-4 games until they really understood the error of their ways. But it wouldn't have come to that. Never in a million years would PSU players have done that.

LJ has never even been a DC. I don't think his recruiting is ever a worry, but can he manage a program? He is also starting to get up there in age too. He could be a steel, but they need a very experience OC and DC to get him through year #1.

LJ is a little old to be a first time HC. imo. I know its not suppose to work that way, but it does. I wonder if they come calling on CJF?

Good idea I was also thinking that the Temple coach, Ruhle, will be getting a lot of love, also I would put Golden in the mix. He's not done yet but give it time.

Larry Johnson is NOT a traitor. He turned down great jobs every year to stay at PSU, repeatedly turned down DC jobs that would have paid a lot more so he could keep coaching the kids he recruited. He left PSU ONLY after he didn't get the HC job -- and he wouldn't have had a job with the new regime anyway.

But I agree 100%, Maryland should recruit Larry Johnson, he'd be a great fit for them. He would have a lot of the qualities that Edsall lacked. Unfortunately it sounds like UMD football is run by the boosters, not the administration, so there's that.

But its that way at a lot of schools. See Oregon and Texas.

The no-handshake thing basically exposed Edsall as a coach who didn't know his team, didn't teach them about good values, and ultimately wasn't in control of his team. I don't think Edsall was in on the no handshake but if he was any kind of coach he would have gotten wind of it before it happened.

And then his response was so awful -- showed a lack of spine and a lack of understanding of what sports is about. Paterno would have benched those captains for 3-4 games until they really understood the error of their ways. But it wouldn't have come to that. Never in a million years would PSU players have done that.

Apparently Edsall didn't even know there was a players only meeting before practice last week so maybe he really didn't know.
I think he did and it was his idea of how to manufacture a "rivalry", well he and the Big10:eek:

Apparently Edsall didn't even know there was a players only meeting before practice last week so maybe he really didn't know.
I think he did and it was his idea of how to manufacture a "rivalry", well he and the Big10:eek:

Franklin has said that the whole thing was choreographed and planned. Barbour was "all in" on developing the rivalry with MD. Franklin told her that PSU is not rivals with MD (and Rutgers) because they aren't on the same level. I've heard him say this twice in person.

They do have a pretty decent QB but I'd rather have the LBR Jones, I think he was pretty high on us and it shocked a lot of people when he committed to the terps.
Haskins had been offered by pretty much the entire planet ... a full list of who's-who in college football power structure. kid is not particularly big (190 pounds) but he has height and i'm gathering must have world class speed and moves.

Franklin has said that the whole thing was choreographed and planned. Barbour was "all in" on developing the rivalry with MD. Franklin told her that PSU is not rivals with MD (and Rutgers) because they aren't on the same level. I've heard him say this twice in person.
Barbour is a dope.

(I'm trying to be nice.......as opposed to that Old Meany LionLover :) )

LJ is a little old to be a first time HC. imo. I know its not suppose to work that way, but it does. I wonder if they come calling on CJF?

Yes there might be plenty of good reasons not to hire LJ. And he may have no desire to leave Ohio State, where he is no doubt loyal to the players he's recruited.

But the MD AD should at least be calling him up to see if he's interested.

In somewhat related news I think Beamer at VT may be done after this year. Will be interesting to see what they do...

No I don't believe the no handshake was planned by anybody other than the MD players. Yes Barbour might have been up for discussions about how to make it, if not a rivalry, a game that was meaningful because of its history -- her job is to sell tickets, after all. But no, the B10's fine of Maryland makes it pretty clear this was not planned and the B10 was really unhappy to see what transpired and then Edsall's clueless response.

You have to take Franklin with a little grain of salt sometimes. He is always messaging, selling, marketing. His message to his players and to potential recruits needs to be -- we don't really play on MD's or RU's level. We're a Top 10 program once we get our feet under us again. We're PSU and that means we get the players we want from Delmarva.

But Barbour is in a little different position. She wants PSU fans to go to M&T and buy tickets, she wants Maryland fans to come to PSU. She wants the series to be competitive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT