ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Question for the all knowing board - African safaris

widowmaker

Jul 25, 2001
Need some input and can't think of a better place to get it than this board. I'm seriously starting to consider doing an African safari with my 16 year old son some time this Summer and would very much appreciate any insights, guidance, gotchas or other advice folks on this board could offer. We're interested in seeing big game in the wild without getting eaten or murdered. That seems like a delicate balancing act, so I'm calling on y'all for some help. Thanks in advance!

Did 2.5 weeks all over Kenya with trip planning group called Born Free about 5 years ago. Was amazing. Not sure if they even exist anymore. Might want to check. They were good.

I'd look at an African safari as a hunting trip and would love to do one. They are pretty common and not as expensive as you might think. Of course, we're talking strictly about plains game as opportunities to hunt the big 5 are limited and expensive. One of my favorite books is Hemingway's "Green Hills of Africa." about his 1933 safari.

• Did one a few years ago in Kenya. Outfit was Royal Africa Safari . Small group of only 6 of us and traveled to four locations in Kenya. Mostly Landrover’s but also had a 5 day hiking stint. Saw the Big 5 and a lot of other game. Very knowledgeable guide. Also provided armed guards. Food, wine and spirits were all top shelf. Highly recommended. Also did a tour with them to the Galapagos about 3 years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT