ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Question for iPhone/iOS experts....

A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

I have an iPhone Xs and one of my apps, Facebook Messenger, is not working (when I try to open it it immediately closes). In previous versions of iOS, you could access a 'Restrictions' menu in Settings where you could toggle the ability to delete apps by holding them down (getting them into jiggle mode) and then clicking the 'X' on the screen. Since I've had kids I have always had it so they cannot delete apps by holding them down on the main screen and hitting X. But, new versions of iOS have removed the 'Restrictions' menu (so there is no longer an ability to toggle whether or not you want the ability to delete apps on the main screen) and when I hold down apps on my main screen they do not have a 'Delete' prompt - only a 'move' one. So, the only way I know to delete an app is to go into the App Store and look for recently updated apps - there, you can delete them, but only if they've been updated recently. You are also supposed to be able to go to the General > Storage menu and see how much space apps are taking up and delete them there, but again, no option to delete them. Short of waiting for Messenger to update again or completely resetting my phone, anyone have any suggestions or workarounds for deleting apps that aren't working?

I have an iPhone Xs and one of my apps, Facebook Messenger, is not working (when I try to open it it immediately closes). In previous versions of iOS, you could access a 'Restrictions' menu in Settings where you could toggle the ability to delete apps by holding them down (getting them into jiggle mode) and then clicking the 'X' on the screen. Since I've had kids I have always had it so they cannot delete apps by holding them down on the main screen and hitting X. But, new versions of iOS have removed the 'Restrictions' menu (so there is no longer an ability to toggle whether or not you want the ability to delete apps on the main screen) and when I hold down apps on my main screen they do not have a 'Delete' prompt - only a 'move' one. So, the only way I know to delete an app is to go into the App Store and look for recently updated apps - there, you can delete them, but only if they've been updated recently. You are also supposed to be able to go to the General > Storage menu and see how much space apps are taking up and delete them there, but again, no option to delete them. Short of waiting for Messenger to update again or completely resetting my phone, anyone have any suggestions or workarounds for deleting apps that aren't working?
I just tried this on my iPhoneX, I held down an app and I got a pop up asking if I wanted to delete it. Not sure what’s up with yours, do you have the most current iOS update?

I just tried this on my iPhoneX, I held down an app and I got a pop up asking if I wanted to delete it. Not sure what’s up with yours, do you have the most current iOS update?

Yes. I'm thinking because I've always had it set so that they couldn't be deleted (when there used to be a 'Restrictions' tab/option), it just carried over and now there is no way to turn it off or enable them to be deleted again.

Does this help?

Restricting Apps from Getting Deleted
  1. Step 1: Open the Settings app, and then tap Screen Time.
  2. Step 2: Tap iTunes & App Store Purchases.
  3. Step 3: Under the Store Purchases & Redownloads section, tap Deleting Apps.
  4. Step 4: On the subsequent screen, tap Don't Allow.

Great question and I consider myself to be B+ to A- level of knowledge on an iPhone but have no idea. Two suggestions:
  • find the closest 14-year-old and ask them
  • get on apple's web site and ask their pup up agent (chat room)

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Does this help?

Restricting Apps from Getting Deleted
  1. Step 1: Open the Settings app, and then tap Screen Time.
  2. Step 2: Tap iTunes & App Store Purchases.
  3. Step 3: Under the Store Purchases & Redownloads section, tap Deleting Apps.
  4. Step 4: On the subsequent screen, tap Don't Allow.

Ha! That worked; I was able to delete the app. Will try to reinstall now.

Thank You!!!

@ClarkstonMark is now on my list to ask for anything iPhone related! Good job, Mark.

I did a bunch of searching online and nearly everything I saw assumed restrictions were turned off. I think it's weird that it's embedded in the 'Screen Time' menu, but happy it worked!

There was one missing step:

Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > iTunes & App Store Purchases > Deleting Apps (Allow)

Reactions: Obliviax
I did a bunch of searching online and nearly everything I saw assumed restrictions were turned off. I think it's weird that it's embedded in the 'Screen Time' menu, but happy it worked!

There was one missing step:

Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > iTunes & App Store Purchases > Deleting Apps (Allow)
Yep, the hidden in Screen Time find is what made me think I got a lucky hit on my search

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT