ADVERTISEMENT

OT: PSA: Don’t flush wipes.

These are flushable!
41CJEMUgYRL._AC_SY350_.jpg

These are flushable!
41CJEMUgYRL._AC_SY350_.jpg
You need to read the link. The city of Charleston SC, is suing manufacture for falsely claiming their wipes are flushable. Sure you can flush them just like plastic bags can be flushed. But they don’t degrade rapidly and cause massive clogs. A major problem for cities all over the country and the world.

Last edited:
You need to read the link. The city of Charleston SC, is suing manufacture for falsely claiming their wipes are flushable. Sure you can fluctuate them just like plastic bags can be flushed. But they don’t degrade rapidly and cause massive clogs. A major problem for cities all over the country and the world.
Surprised it took this long for a lawsuit. Yes technically they are flushable in the sense that they won't clog your toilet but I've ready for many years that these wipes cause all sorts of plumbing problems downstream because they don't break down like toilet paper. Yet nearly every brand of them states they are "flushable" on the packaging.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Surprised it took this long for a lawsuit. Yes technically they are flushable in the sense that they won't clog your toilet but I've ready for many years that these wipes cause all sorts of plumbing problems downstream because they don't break down like toilet paper. Yet nearly every brand of them states they are "flushable" on the packaging.
Yeah, saw several articles last summer and fall about how people are having major problems because of these, including homeowners that get clogs. Local plumbers said they get calls almost every day from home owners. They don’t break down or flow as well.

Reactions: Bob78
If you insist on using them then you should paper for the main work and ONE wipe for final clean up. Using multiple "flushable" wipes per squat is begging for a clog.

Sorry for the out-of-left-field thread, but this is a serious problem which needlessly costs $$$$$ much better spent elsewhere. (The link is good.)

Welcome to Centro-America... We take for granted what "we can flush". After spending a month down there many years ago, It took me about a month to remember that it was okay to put toilet paper in the toilet. Most places save a few posh hotels/ resorts, and Maybe Costa Rica, the toilet is for #1 and #2 only.

Reactions: LionJim
If you insist on using them then you should paper for the main work and ONE wipe for final clean up. Using multiple "flushable" wipes per squat is begging for a clog.

This board really is all-knowing.

Now, can I get hands-on instruction or maybe a video? I don’t want to make any mistakes.

Reactions: STPGopherfan
This board really is all-knowing.

Now, can I get hands-on instruction or maybe a video? I don’t want to make any mistakes.
There is one already. The "pee-pee" tapes were really just an instructional video on how to go.

You need to read the link. The city of Charleston SC, is suing manufacture for falsely claiming their wipes are flushable. Sure you can flush them just like plastic bags can be flushed. But they don’t degrade rapidly and cause massive clogs. A major problem for cities all over the country and the world.
is suing and "successfully sued" are two totally different things.

Pretty obvious they do cause problems when cities across the country and other countries all have massive clogs caused by these wipes. Pretty easy to ID what the clog is made of.
are they caused by these wipes? are the clogs not also caused by paper towels, mats of hair, sanitary napkins, kleenex and wads of toilet paper that are too large?

are they caused by these wipes? are the clogs not also caused by paper towels, mats of hair, sanitary napkins, kleenex and wads of toilet paper that are too large?
They are pulling out massive clogs made up of ‘disposable wipes’. It is a widespread problem. Clogs pipes, clogs machinery, clogs pumps, clogs sprayers. Sanitation engineers all across the country are trying to figure out how to deal with the problem.

Who needs wipes? I mean, doesn't everyone have a bidet?
I installed a seat top version last year after the pandemic started and the toilet paper shortage scare. I figured, if there's not going to be any toilet paper what else can I do? This thing is fantastic. I hardly use any toilet paper at all now. Basically, just use it to dab dry.

Actually, this made me ask myself exactly what kind of instructional videos are out there. I mean, there are popping zit videos, what’s the next level up? Bob could make a lot of coin here, one would think.

There’s a lot of money in online education.

They are pulling out massive clogs made up of ‘disposable wipes’. It is a widespread problem. Clogs pipes, clogs machinery, clogs pumps, clogs sprayers. Sanitation engineers all across the country are trying to figure out how to deal with the problem.
maybe. here locally, they are suing all kinds of home owners because the system was built back in the 1940s and it is breaking down. They don't have the money to cover it...so they are suing people for all kinds of stuff. One of them is that they are suing people for having rain water drain into the sewer system which has been going on for decades. So, I just don't trust anyone....ANYONE

Of course they’re not the sole cause of the problem. But it is a problem and it’s only going to get worse. Basic rule of thumb, flush three things only. (Once the plumber comes to your house and tells you this, you’re going to listen, believe you me.)

I’ve read somewhere that dental floss is a big part of it.

Last edited:
If course they’re not the sole cause of the problem. But it is a problem and it’s only going to get worse. What would you have the cities do? They have to foot the bill somehow. Basic rule of thumb, flush three things only. (Once the plumber comes to your house and tells you this, you’re going to listen, believe you me.)

People wipe with dental floss? Doesn’t seem plausible, but I’ll try anything once.

Be right back.

If course they’re not the sole cause of the problem. But it is a problem and it’s only going to get worse. Basic rule of thumb, flush three things only. (Once the plumber comes to your house and tells you this, you’re going to listen, believe you me.)

it is a tough ask.....the first thing to do is to set published standards and then sue people that violate those standards. Maybe they do, I don't know, but I've never seen it.

If course they’re not the sole cause of the problem. But it is a problem and it’s only going to get worse. Basic rule of thumb, flush three things only. (Once the plumber comes to your house and tells you this, you’re going to listen, believe you me.)

o.jpg

My in-laws have a plumbing/ HVAC shop (also sell appliances) in a small town. They are always saying putting stuff, even grease, down the toilet is just asking for trouble in the long term.

I work as with multiple municipalities as an engineer and can confirm that "flushable" wipes are a huge problem.
R9415c897780111b4f8ec0904ba986ca4

You can see the top of a pipe at 6 o'clock and all the white is wipes.

I work as with multiple municipalities as an engineer and can confirm that "flushable" wipes are a huge problem.
R9415c897780111b4f8ec0904ba986ca4

You can see the top of a pipe at 6 o'clock and all the white is wipes.
Yep. One city has sued. Soon others will join in. There will be huge numbers thrown around as hundreds of sanitation authorities join. After a couple years there will be out of court settlements made with a small percentage of the original ask. The companies involved will not acknowledge any responsibility but settle ‘for the good of the community’ and agree to stop advertising as flushable and remove that labeling from their packaging.

That is the American ‘justice system’ at work.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT