ADVERTISEMENT

OT: prob should wait til morning to post this but

N&B4PSU

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
It's been on my mind so what the heck.

We had a long 3+ week trip to Italy this October that went buh bye. While the cruise part is toast we (well more so my better half) have held out hope that we can still do the planned Amalfi coast and made add a little on (Matera keeps surfacing as cool segue). Finish in Rome, call it a day.

While I'm covid safe now, the wife is not and I harbor fears of her getting sick and us being stuck in Italy (more to the point, a hospital in Rome) for a few weeks (typically that is not a bad thing but...). BTW, did you know that in the overall population only 3 people per 1,000 got covid? I presume that total cases is underreported tenfold, so now we're at 3 per 100. Of course, that also drives the kill rate down from 13+% to 1.3... but i digress :)

I explored a christmas cruise, a week on santorini, maybe a return to croatia and montenegro.... but end of the day my guess is there will be too many restrictions (aka not much fun) and it won't be worth the $$.

Anyone have thoughts on this? I'm kinda asking those who do business in europe and might have some insight on a realistic outcome more so than an optimistic one.

TIA

We had a long 3+ week trip to Italy this October that went buh bye. While the cruise part is toast we (well more so my better half) have held out hope that we can still do the planned Amalfi coast and made add a little on (Matera keeps surfacing as cool segue). Finish in Rome, call it a day.

While I'm covid safe now, the wife is not and I harbor fears of her getting sick and us being stuck in Italy (more to the point, a hospital in Rome) for a few weeks (typically that is not a bad thing but...). BTW, did you know that in the overall population only 3 people per 1,000 got covid? I presume that total cases is underreported tenfold, so now we're at 3 per 100. Of course, that also drives the kill rate down from 13+% to 1.3... but i digress :)

I explored a christmas cruise, a week on santorini, maybe a return to croatia and montenegro.... but end of the day my guess is there will be too many restrictions (aka not much fun) and it won't be worth the $$.

Anyone have thoughts on this? I'm kinda asking those who do business in europe and might have some insight on a realistic outcome more so than an optimistic one.

TIA
Realistically, if the US continues to have new cases, it will be interesting if any country will allow non-essential US visitors. They could close their borders or require 14 days quarantine upon entering the country. There is also the risk as you mention of getting stuck in another country and who knows whether flights will be available. So much up in the air right now to be planning a trip for 2020/21 including whether travel insurance will oover Covid or provide any coverage if there are travel advisories.

Realistically, if the US continues to have new cases, it will be interesting if any country will allow non-essential US visitors. They could close their borders or require 14 days quarantine upon entering the country. There is also the risk as you mention of getting stuck in another country and who knows whether flights will be available. So much up in the air right now to be planning a trip for 2020/21 including whether travel insurance will oover Covid or provide any coverage if there are travel advisories.
Sadly, your thoughts mirror my own.

I'm thinking a week in Curacao or St Kitts might make more sense if they don't have the 14 day wait.

BTW, for all the talk about how perfect NZ handled this... they are down on the list when it comes to infections... but not as far down as you'd think given the hype.

My wife has always wanted to go to Italy. Venice IS her bucket list. About a year ago I looked into a surprise vacation to Italy, for this month. I really want to go back to Switzerland, on vacation. My dad was US Army. While stationed in Germany, he took us to Switzerland. Even as a kid, I loved it. I thought about a train trip from Milan to Venice...on thru Switzerland.. then to Paris... ending in London. Ended up being on the steep side....flights and all from Monterey. So I passed. Now I am so glad I did. Still on the bucket list. Good luck with your vacation. If it were me, I'd wait.

Reactions: flinter and N&B4PSU
Mrs. Lemmus and I have been taking the kids (now a HS freshman and junior) to all 50 states over the past 8 years. We're at 46, with only the Yellowstone 3 (WY, MT, ID) and Hawaii to go. We booked both trips late last year for this July and December. I think we're SOL.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
FWIW. Just saw a small headline on Bloomberg that Italy to open more things today.

TIA

You may not have a choice. Trip may be cancelled for you. I am one who decided weeks ago that I was going to live my life and not live in fear. We had a trip planned to Italy this Summer. Two weeks. Late June/Early July. We were going to start in Rome, head down to the Amalfi coast, spend about a week going in & out of Sorrento, then back up to Rome to fly home...... My wife & I were holding out hope of doing the trip, and as of this week we still had not cancelled our plans. But on Wednesday we received emails from Delta that THEY were cancelling our flights due tho the travel restrictions caused by C19. It was not us. It was Delta.

To make the flights a little more affordable, my wife & I each cashed in some un-used skymiles. I booked my ticket along with one of our daughters on my account. And my wife did the same, she booked her ticket along with our other daughters ticket on her account. On Wednesday we each received the emails from Delta. Funny. I called my wife and asked her if SHE cancelled our airfare, and she said she was wondering the same thing. She at first thought I cancelled. Then we read the emails more closely and realized it was actually Delta who cancelled. They offered us the option of refund or voucher. We took refund.

But anywho. Based on what happened to us this week, with delta cancelling our airfare, the decision may be out of your hands.

Saw a report that Greece will be opened for tourists as of July 1, but not sure what the restrictions are. And as others have mentioned, not sure what the EU will do with respect to quarantining visitors from the States.

TIA

nm

We were supposed to leave today for a two week trip to Italy, which of course has been canceled (though recovering all the refunds is an ongoing adventure, so there’s that). Still on the books is a month-long Italy trip starting in late December - after my impending retirement.

If they drop the 14-day quarantine we will go, but if it’s still in effect we won’t. I think/hope things are opening up there, but t as long as we can go to local restaurants and bars we will be happy. We go to Calabria for the people, food, and wine. Though there are beautiful towns, beaches, and history, it is not a region of tourist sites.

Good luck with your trip . . .

Saw a report that Greece will be opened for tourists as of July 1, but not sure what the restrictions are. And as others have mentioned, not sure what the EU will do with respect to quarantining visitors from the States.

The problem is getting there from the US. Greece will be open for tourist, but that will most likely be people from the EU and the middle east who can get to Greece by car, train, or local air. Not from the US

The problem is getting there from the US. Greece will be open for tourist, but that will most likely be people from the EU and the middle east who can get to Greece by car, train, or local air. Not from the US

Maybe - I have not delved that far into it - my trip is booked in middle of July, so I am just waiting it out and will make a decision sometime in early to mid June. And I am transitioning through an EU country. At this point, stressing about it isn't going to do me any good.

We were supposed to leave today for a two week trip to Italy, which of course has been canceled (though recovering all the refunds is an ongoing adventure, so there’s that). Still on the books is a month-long Italy trip starting in late December - after my impending retirement.

If they drop the 14-day quarantine we will go, but if it’s still in effect we won’t. I think/hope things are opening up there, but t as long as we can go to local restaurants and bars we will be happy. We go to Calabria for the people, food, and wine. Though there are beautiful towns, beaches, and history, it is not a region of tourist sites.

Good luck with your trip . . .

I mentioned above. On Wednesday, Delta actually cancelled our flights and offered us a refund or a voucher. We took the refund. So recovering the airfare was easy. Yesterday, I spent about 1 hour going thru and connecting with all the hotels, Airbnb condos, tours ... and so far have received refunds very easily. Actually, I am 100% everything has been refunded.

I mentioned above. On Wednesday, Delta actually cancelled our flights and offered us a refund or a voucher. We took the refund. So recovering the airfare was easy. Yesterday, I spent about 1 hour going thru and connecting with all the hotels, Airbnb condos, tours ... and so far have received refunds very easily. Actually, I am 100% everything has been refunded.
Good for you. Glad it worked out.

People really need to accept the realities of the new normal.

No. People need to fight for their freedom and their liberties. If the new normal is what I've seen over the last month or so, then people really need to fight for their liberties. IMO, freedom is not a "natural" human trait. I think most people prefer to be "taken care of" and take guidance. Having freedom and having liberties is much harder than being taken care of and taking guidance on what to do. But freedom is something worth fighting for. I'm not going to "accept this new normal". IMO, it sucks.

TIA
We have a 20 day Spain - France - Italy vacation scheduled for July. We anticipate the airlines cancelling our flights any day now. Our current plan is to reschedule for July 2021.

No. People need to fight for their freedom and their liberties. If the new normal is what I've seen over the last month or so, then people really need to fight for their liberties. IMO, freedom is not a "natural" human trait. I think most people prefer to be "taken care of" and take guidance. Having freedom and having liberties is much harder than being taken care of and taking guidance on what to do. But freedom is something worth fighting for. I'm not going to "accept this new normal". IMO, it sucks.
Just to be clear, you not being allowed to enter Italy has nothing to do with your freedom and liberty as a US citizen.
Regarding your Delta flight cancellations .... if you searched and found alternative dates for your trip to Italy, Delta likely have been happy to change your flights to those dates for no change fees or additional charges. Delta is very good with this when they cancel flights, but it is best to do your research and have the flights you want (and maybe a couple alternates) when you call or tweet them.

Just to be clear, you not being allowed to enter Italy has nothing to do with your freedom and liberty as a US citizen.
Regarding your Delta flight cancellations .... if you searched and found alternative dates for your trip to Italy, Delta likely have been happy to change your flights to those dates for no change fees or additional charges. Delta is very good with this when they cancel flights, but it is best to do your research and have the flights you want (and maybe a couple alternates) when you call or tweet them.

Delta did offer a voucher. When I received my email I assumed my wife took the initiative and cancelled. When she received her email, she thought same of me. We each booked ourselves + 1 daughter. It was later at night over diner and we brought up the emails, that we realized it was neither of us, but Delta. We went back and read the emails closer and saw they gave us the option of voucher or refund. My theory is always that I'd rather have my money back than take any voucher. So we took refund.

On my freedom & liberties comment. I was talking more in general terms. IMO, fascism hiding behind the disguise of healthcare concerns is still fascism. Government telling us that we can or can not work, can or can not go outside, can or can not go to restaurants, can or can not open our business, can or can not use a park or take a walk.... is fascism. It's hiding behind the disguise of health concerns, but it's the government dictating to us our civil liberties. And that by definition is fascism.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
We were supposed to do a 12 day Mediterranean cruise leaving July 4th - when we got to the date when Royal Caribbean was set to get the non-refundable deposit we cancelled - about 2 months ago. Got all our money back and then waited out American - I didn’t want a voucher and eventually they changes our flight and the outbound leg terminated in Chicago and the American agent and I were laughing about that - no connection to Barcelona. Used points for a 2 night stay when we arrived but got that back as well - had travel insurance but since I wasn’t out of pocket any money nothing to collect but they did give me a voucher good for 2 years to use on another trip. We will rebook for next year. As far as the new normal I saw the bars crowded in Wisconsin yesterday when the courts struck down the governors stay at home order - I think you will be amazed at how fast things go back to mostly how it was after restrictions are lifted - people have short memories about most things even something as far reaching and impactful as this pandemic.

Having freedom worth fighting for is a little different than an optional pleasure trip to Amalfi amidst a global pandemic wherein your selfishness turns you into a biological weapon.

That's a stupid equivalency. This from someone who has had bullets whiz by his head in the name of freedom.

Having freedom worth fighting for is a little different than an optional pleasure trip to Amalfi amidst a global pandemic wherein your selfishness turns you into a biological weapon.

That's a stupid equivalency. This from someone who has had bullets whiz by his head in the name of freedom.

How about my selfishness to keep my business open ... who decides that you & the govt?

How about my selfishness to go get my shoulder operated on but can not ... who decides that the govt?

How about my selfishness to go to work, go the school go to church ... who decides that the govt?

how about my selfishness to go outside to a public park and get fresh air... who decides that the govt?

Yea, all those things are very selfish of people.

How about my selfishness to keep my business open ... who decides that you & the govt?

How about my selfishness to go get my shoulder operated on but can not ... who decides that the govt?

How about my selfishness to go to work, go the school go to church ... who decides that the govt?

how about my selfishness to go outside to a public park and get fresh air... who decides that the govt?

How about wartime rationing, blackouts, the draft?

Freedom isn't free, sometimes it requires some sacrifice beyond waving a flag on July 4th. We're being asked to protect our fellow citizens- and each other. This isn't the first time, and it's not likely to be the last.

Delta did offer a voucher. When I received my email I assumed my wife took the initiative and cancelled. When she received her email, she thought same of me. We each booked ourselves + 1 daughter. It was later at night over diner and we brought up the emails, that we realized it was neither of us, but Delta. We went back and read the emails closer and saw they gave us the option of voucher or refund. My theory is always that I'd rather have my money back than take any voucher. So we took refund.

On my freedom & liberties comment. I was talking more in general terms. IMO, fascism hiding behind the disguise of healthcare concerns is still fascism. Government telling us that we can or can not work, can or can not go outside, can or can not go to restaurants, can or can not open our business, can or can not use a park or take a walk.... is fascism. It's hiding behind the disguise of health concerns, but it's the government dictating to us our civil liberties. And that by definition is fascism.

How did they handle the points you cashed in? refund the points or give you a cash equivalent of the flight overall? Did they offer to restore your points? TIA... Brother in law has a trip booked in november using some points and some cash and we were talking about this yesterday how the airlines would handle it if they cancelled his trip

The gov't is supposed to protect all of its citizens, not just the younger ones and the ones without underlying conditions. The ability to do whatever the hell one wants in the middle of a pandemic doesn't just affect the individual actor. Therein lies the problem that apparently is too difficult to grasp at this point. Maybe all you guys should run over to Italy as quickly as you can and tell them the flu in the US is typically worse over here than the current pandemic was there.

I'll skip the political commentary... this thread is beginning to look like a Tommy Mac stuffed shot about to happen.

I spoke with a contact in the hotel business in northern italy (known him 10 years) and he says (and stats bear this out) that it was mostly a northern italy mess and he -- and apparently many others -- blames the media for pouring petrol on a waning problem for the sake of scaring the people and headlines. It's universal... msm is not popular lol.

He hopes to re-open in September and will keep me apprised of what to expect (quarantine, masks, social distancing, etc). Obviously, if our expensive trip to Europe is going to more closely resemble a day here in sunny/rainy/hurricaney florida, we'll probably pass.

I'll skip the political commentary... this thread is beginning to look like a Tommy Mac stuffed shot about to happen.

I spoke with a contact in the hotel business in northern italy (known him 10 years) and he says (and stats bear this out) that it was mostly a northern italy mess and he -- and apparently many others -- blames the media for pouring petrol on a waning problem for the sake of scaring the people and headlines. It's universal... msm is not popular lol.

He hopes to re-open in September and will keep me apprised of what to expect (quarantine, masks, social distancing, etc). Obviously, if our expensive trip to Europe is going to more closely resemble a day here in sunny/rainy/hurricaney florida, we'll probably pass.
The suggestion of adding Greece to your trip seems like a good one. Greece appears to be opening more freely than other countries.

The suggestion of adding Greece to your trip seems like a good one. Greece appears to be opening more freely than other countries.
Not sure who mentioned it, but at the moment the 14 day quarantine of visitors to any european country seems very reasonable... not sure it will be necessary in october but their safety far outweighs all (although I get the feeling it will be a sore subject among hotels, restaurants, etc).

I will pay more attention to Santorini (1 day wasn't enough last time and a week there with some side boat trips could be good enough to keep the missus happy). Thanks!

I have read these posts... lots of good information. I live is Costa Rica and own a hotel- totally rely on tourism... Costa Rica has done one of the best jobs with corona of any country.... but they killed everything.. severe driving limitations, closed everything... and fine you if you break the law. No driving after 7 am.. the entire country.. I can drive 4 days of the week... for food and banking... not after 7.. it was 5 pm.. they extended it to 7. Too many workers were getting jack for legit reason. Most of the country is not working especially if the work in tourism...

My two cents...

Flying.. depends on where you go and whether that country is shut down / borders are open / airports. In CR... the borders are closed... you cant come in... and you cant get out. If you are doing multicountry.. the borders may be closed in the country you want to travel to.... I was supposed to leave the country to do a border run in May... nope.. govt extending it to July .. yesterday til August. People who did not get out in March are stuck here.... June 15 they will make the decision about the border... and flying...

Tourism... if your tourism revolves seeing things or places where people get together .... probably will remain closed. Even if people can get to Costa Rica... Beaches are closed... Police fine you. Restuarants, shops, parks, all the cool tourism places closed.... SHIT IS CLOSED. My hotel is right on the beach and the beach is completely empty... nada... couple kids play soccer in the evening until the popo sees them and they scatter..... starting in a couple days. The beach will open M-F from 5 am - 8am... for fishing..

Just because you can get somewhere doesnt mean you can go on a tour of your favorite tourist attractions. With so many things closed... very limiting on things you can do.....

Reactions: N&B4PSU and bwifan
I have read these posts... lots of good information. I live is Costa Rica and own a hotel- totally rely on tourism... Costa Rica has done one of the best jobs with corona of any country.... but they killed everything.. severe driving limitations, closed everything... and fine you if you break the law. No driving after 7 am.. the entire country.. I can drive 4 days of the week... for food and banking... not after 7.. it was 5 pm.. they extended it to 7. Too many workers were getting jack for legit reason. Most of the country is not working especially if the work in tourism...

My two cents...

Flying.. depends on where you go and whether that country is shut down / borders are open / airports. In CR... the borders are closed... you cant come in... and you cant get out. If you are doing multicountry.. the borders may be closed in the country you want to travel to.... I was supposed to leave the country to do a border run in May... nope.. govt extending it to July .. yesterday til August. People who did not get out in March are stuck here.... June 15 they will make the decision about the border... and flying...

Tourism... if your tourism revolves seeing things or places where people get together .... probably will remain closed. Even if people can get to Costa Rica... Beaches are closed... Police fine you. Restuarants, shops, parks, all the cool tourism places closed.... SHIT IS CLOSED. My hotel is right on the beach and the beach is completely empty... nada... couple kids play soccer in the evening until the popo sees them and they scatter..... starting in a couple days. The beach will open M-F from 5 am - 8am... for fishing..

Just because you can get somewhere doesnt mean you can go on a tour of your favorite tourist attractions. With so many things closed... very limiting on things you can do.....

Good points.... trip insurance (if you can get it is a requirement) just as you said why I just ended any thoughts of going to Corsica this summer is things may be open now and I book a ticket only to have it close in the next month or two due to flare ups while I am supposed to be there.... Just didn't want to deal with the unknown and trying to time openings and closings. If I go any where most likely will be here in the U.S. (as you state so I can get home and don't have to quarantine in a foreign country) so I can get home by car if need be worst case scenario. I am thinking out west to Colorado/Wyoming/Montana but even that is a tough call and guess on what will open when or will still be open when I am scheduled to be there. It's almost a summer of local vacations or staycations to let this thing play out and hit the reset button next summer

Oh look, it's William Wallace shooting fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his arse.

I have a two week trip to France planned the first week of October, and I'd say I'm 50/50 at this point. Only financial commitment is on the airfare which is not yet cancelled (3 of 4 flights on Lufthansa). I'll probably wait until August or September to decide, but if a majority of things are open with limited restrictions I'll probably go. I'll likely have to fly before then for work anyway (not 10 hours though), and this may just be the new baseline for risk to travel (or leave your house). Worst case I'll re-book for next spring.

Last edited:

TIA
Shows how much i know. Italy opening up to foreign travellers on June 3. Have no idea what that actually means, but hey, they probably don't either considering EU has foreign travel ban until June 15.

As to non-Europeans, with the EU travel ban on foreigners now extended until June 15, few airlines flying, and travel advisories worldwide warning against all international travel, the chance of visiting Europe before fall is iffy.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tamara...-many-countries-plan-to-be-open/#5bd5f5ff369e

TIA

Sicily or Sardinia, plus prices are now reduced.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT