ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Piebald Deer

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
I had 5 large deer wander into my yard around noon today, and one was a piebald. I had never seen one before and after doing some research it seems about 1% of the deer population are piebald and they tend to occur in densely populated deer areas where there is a lot of inbreeding. Have those of you who are hunters seen them before? Thanks

I had 5 large deer wander into my yard around noon today, and one was a piebald. I had never seen one before and after doing some research it seems about 1% of the deer population are piebald and they tend to occur in densely populated deer areas where there is a lot of inbreeding. Have those of you who are hunters seen them before? Thanks
Yes I saw one on 191 north headed to lake wallenpaupack a couple years ago

In the early 80s on my godparents dairy farm about 35 miles or so from State college there were two white fawns one summer. They used to come out in the field across from the house in the evenings.

From our campground/RV park...... In Tennessee, it is illegal to shoot a Piebald or Albino deer. This one was around our place for about 3 years. Have not seen her for two years. She was smaller than the other doe with with which she travelled that area. I read somewhere that they are typically smaller and have a shorter life span. She was more friendly and did not spook when around people. She loved to stand on a steep mountain overlook and observe people at the campground, run equipment or walk about, She would people watch for long periods of time. Everyone was amused by her behavior.

Last edited:
Reactions: mn78psu83
I’ve never seen one living, but my hunting buddy shot a piebald buck a couple of years ago. He got a full body mount.

2544.jpg

Reactions: Nitwit and TheGLOV
Shot one years ago in Clearfield

Reactions: TheGLOV
I saw one on the Lehigh campus a few years ago. I first thought it was a goat. Very cool.

We have several in our out skirts and have for many years. My Uncle that taught me to hunt told me to never shoot a white deer. I've personally known two people that did and both died pretty horrific deaths within a couple of years so It's an old Indian proverb that I truly believe.

Just saw one yesterday! Was pulling into the wood lot where I'm cutting firewood.

Reactions: Nitwit
Have one running around our neighborhood outside of Carlisle. Spends a lot of time at one of the neighbor's who has a small pond in the yard. Really cool to see.

Seen a couple, one albino. The albino was with five other deer (no snow that day) that ran down the hill I was on, cross a small creek, and up the next hill. Could see it the whole way but couldn't see the other after they were 75 yards from me. No wonder they don't survive long.

My Uncle that taught me to hunt told me to never shoot a white deer. I've personally known two people that did and both died pretty horrific deaths within a couple of years so It's an old Indian proverb that I truly believe.

Years ago a guy took an albino to a local butcher shop. Soon as they started on it they broke a band saw blade, first time that happened to them. They won't take in albinos now. Also heard stories of people that shot one and had terrible life issues shortly after.

Last edited:
Reactions: 81b&w
I've hunted almost 60 years, mostly in Clearfield County, but have hunted Centre, Lycoming, Perry, Juniata, Cameron, Potter, Cumberland, Dauphin and York Counties. I've never seen a Piebald deer in the wild, but I have seen one albino in Juniata County. I can't move around like I could 20 years ago, so mostly hunt from stands now so maybe that's why? Like CattyGuy51 said, at a distance they resemble a goat. 81b&w, one of my uncles that I hunted with a lot, also told me not to shoot one, because bad luck would follow.

I've seen both a piebald and albino in the wild, and also have checked out this place while visiting the Finger Lakes wineries. We didn't take the tour, just drove by and spotted some of the white deer.

Reactions: Nitwit
So last night I’m making a Chinese food run around 6pm so I can get back in time for the Nebraska game. There were two more regular deer, but smaller, crossing the street in my neighborhood. Driving home we see a fox loping along the side of the road. Then this morning I noticed one of my ornamental cabbages has been completely pulled out of my flower bed just a few feet away from my front porch. It like Wild Kingdom around here and I live in a gated community.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I'd be very surprised if this deer was large. The genetic defect that causes this tends to make these deer small in size.

Not a hunter anymore, but I have occasionally seen one here in Chester County, just south of West Chester.

Misread the post title as beer. Never mind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT