ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pick one - guitar enthusiasts

MtNittany

May 29, 2001
No yahoo privacy thieving poll...Just pick one:

A) Roy Clark, Glen Campbell, Jerry Reed
B) Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck

Reactions: fairgambit
As far as what I like to listen to the most, I choose the Yardbirds. However, when I first started playing guitar and taking lessons, I was taught mostly from A group and I have a great appreciation for those guys as well. I just prefer rock/blues over country.

Two different genres and each genre has it’s geniuses. I appreciate talent no matter the genre. There is no list of jazz guitarists, classical guitarists, etc. There are great players everywhere so to me the poll is meaningless.
Roy and Glen could play jazz, classical - you ever see Roy on the Odd Couple or Glen playing Classical Gas. Ain't no Sunshine, or The Lone Ranger theme? They certainly weren't just "country" guitarists. Jerry was Jerry.

Last edited:
Reactions: FHSPSU67
Glen was part of the famous Wrecking Crew and one of the best guitarists in the country.
He could pretty much play anything, and he couldn't read music. Carol Kaye would hum songs to him and he'd turn them into $$$ for all of them.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Two different genres and each genre has it’s geniuses. I appreciate talent no matter the genre. There is no list of jazz guitarists, classical guitarists, etc. There are great players everywhere so to me the poll is meaningless.
How is the poll meaningless? It is comparing one set to another. Not asking greatest of all time.

It would be no different than me asking "who is the better hockey player, Gretzky or Lemieux?" If you answer Crosby you just aren't answering the question that was asked.

It's not asking who the greatest guitar player of all time is....it's a simple question: between Set A and Set B which do you think is better?

PS....its Gretzky by a mile :)

Reactions: MtNittany
How is the poll meaningless? It is comparing one set to another. Not asking greatest of all time.

It would be no different than me asking "who is the better hockey player, Gretzky or Lemieux?" If you answer Crosby you just aren't answering the question that was asked.

It's not asking who the greatest guitar player of all time is....it's a simple question: between Set A and Set B which do you think is better?

Yeah - I thought it was a simple question. A or B.

Reactions: PSU87
Alice Cooper was interviewed when Glen Campbell passed. He was a close friend and a frequent golf partner with Glen Campbell. One day his phone rings and it was young Eddie Van Halen. He asked Alice...hey... can you introduce me to Glen ...and of course he said yes. He told Alice that he was having a bit of trouble with a particular guitar note and wanted to sit in with Glen. They met And to say that Eddie was impressed would be an understatement. Sooooo. My vote would be for the late ....great Mr. Campbell. If he was good enough for Eddie to learn from...that says it all.

B, although my bias for the rock/blues genre plays heavily into my choice.

Just my 2 cents -

I agree with you for the most part. Except, I am not sure it is even asking who we think is better.

Imo, it is just asking which group of 3 an individual prefers. I chose B, because I could listen to the works of that group all day long, vs. just a select few songs by group A. I don't really know which is the better or more talented group, and don't really care all that much. I just know my preference.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I'll go with whom I would prefer to have over for lunch: B (A are all deceased)

Last edited:
No yahoo privacy thieving poll...Just pick one:

A) Roy Clark, Glen Campbell, Jerry Reed
B) Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck
Three country guitarists and none of them are Chet Atkins? Guess I gotta go with B then.

Reactions: Cold Smoke
Amazingly.......no one mentioned James Burton....considered the king of Fender's Telecaster, 2001 inductee into Rock and Roll HOF, recognized by the Rockabilly HOF , Musicians HOF.....and long time guitarist for Elvis Presley.

Amazingly.......no one mentioned James Burton....considered the king of Fender's Telecaster, 2001 inductee into Rock and Roll HOF, recognized by the Rockabilly HOF , Musicians HOF.....and long time guitarist for Elvis Presley.
I could name 50 guitarists who "should" be mentioned (some of whom I don't care to listen to especially), at the end of the day it's who do you enjoy listening to?

Reactions: ChandlerPearce
Roy and Glen could play jazz, classical - you ever see Roy on the Odd Couple or Glen playing Classical Gas. Ain't no Sunshine, or The Lone Ranger theme? They certainly weren't just "country" guitarists. Jerry was Jerry.
Love Glenn’s back home again in indiana

What if we add a third choice:

C. Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert

Three country guitarists and none of them are Chet Atkins? Guess I gotta go with B then.
Chet actually hurt his back during this taping.

He slipped on the puddle underneath Crystal Gale's chair.

Chet never "certified" GC. Probably out of jealousy, to be honest. At around 2:29, it seems he either realizes his mistake or he's just prepared to live with it.

Last edited:
Glen was part of the famous Wrecking Crew and one of the best guitarists in the country.
One of my favorite videos is Lukather and GC because SL asks him what he played on (beach boy wise - uncredited. And GC flat out says well, everything). Then they end the gig playing You've Lost That Loving Feeling. Lukather was in heaven. Glen wasn't a "country guitarist". Neither was Roy.

Django Reinhardt, Wes Montgomery, Al DiMeola, Paco DeLucia, Doc Watson, Tony Rice, Steve Vai, Larry Carlton, Vince Gill, Ricky Skaggs, Marty Stuart, Kenny Vaughan, Robin Trower.

B
Robben Ford, Steve Earle, Jeff Beck

R

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT