ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Philly fans, why isn't Drexel considered "Big Five"?

Psugo823

Aug 17, 2021
I'm wondering why, because they all play Drexel in basketball...why isn't Drexel included?

Drexel didn’t become D1 or “major” division until the early 70’s. Basically when the whole Big 5 thing came to be, Drexel wasn’t considered to be worthy as they didn’t play at the highest level of competition at the time:

I'm wondering why, because they all play Drexel in basketball...why isn't Drexel included?
The same reason phila textile, Jefferson, west Chester and holy family are not in the big 5.

When the big 5 was formed drexel was D3 and Drexel was not included. The Big5 do not all play drexel. Nova does not play drexel. St Joe's is not on their schedule either.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Drexel didn’t become D1 or “major” division until the early 70’s. Basically when the whole Big 5 thing came to be, Drexel wasn’t considered to be worthy as they didn’t play at the highest level of competition at the time:
Still don't. They will probably go 0-3 vs the big5 teams this year. 0-2 so far.

Still don't. They will probably go 0-3 vs the big5 teams this year. 0-2 so far.
D1 of course, but of course in a lower level conference. LaSalle has history and in a solid conference, but are really in trouble as an institution.

D1 of course, but of course in a lower level conference. LaSalle has history and in a solid conference, but are really in trouble as an institution.
D1 now but not when the big5 was formed.

Lasalle is in trouble. North Philly is a ghetto and Lasalle is hidden in a neighborhood. Lasalle needs to expand to broad street. They should take over the hs on broad. I think that is girls high.

Reactions: Psugo823
D1 now but not when the big5 was formed.

Lasalle is in trouble. North Philly is a ghetto and Lasalle is hidden in a neighborhood. Lasalle needs to expand to broad street. They should take over the hs on broad. I think that is girls high.
Lasalle is in the olney area not north philli but it’s still not a good area and temple is worse.

Lasalle is in the olney area not north philli but it’s still not a good area and temple is worse.
Temple is in such a bad area, I really don't understand why people choose to go there. I mean bad like if you wonder off the campus only a couple of blocks, you are in areas with very high crime rates.

Temple is in such a bad area, I really don't understand why people choose to go there. I mean bad like if you wonder off the campus only a couple of blocks, you are in areas with very high crime rates.

You dont have to leave campus.

Lasalle is not much better. At least three murders within two blocks of campus. Two cops killed at Broad and Olney.

Lasalle is not much better. At least three murders within two blocks of campus. Two cops killed at Broad and Olney.
Rough town overall. Temple grad randomly killed two blocks from my son’s apartment on Drexel’s campus recently. University City is supposed to be one of the safer areas. Not immune, that’s for sure.

so you are going to goto a University where you have to stay in about a 8 block radius and never leave it? even those 8 blocks are not the safest at night.

Reactions: brupsu
so you are going to goto a University where you have to stay in about a 8 block radius and never leave it? even those 8 blocks are not the safest at night.
No. All the city schools should close. Penn students should transfer to suburban schools and major in park and rec management.

Last edited:
I feel like none of you guys have been on North Broad Street since the 1990's. Things aren't nearly as bad as you're stating. The area around Temple is actually becoming very nice right now.

I wonder where the poor people are going because housing is going for $400+ per square foot. A little further south it's going for $600+ per square foot. Heck Strawberry Mansion is becoming expensive.

Oh, for those that don't know, Drexel isn't anywhere near Temple. University City is in West Philadelphia (other side of the Schuylkill River) next to the University of Pennsylvania. Just north of Drexel is the Powelton Village neighborhood which is now going through gentrification. The next neighborhood north is Mantua and is still a veritable war zone reminiscent of a third world country. But, if the money keeps flowing it will start to transition soon. Once a neighborhood starts transitioning the housing prices go from $20/foot to $300/foot overnight.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Shelter
I feel like none of you guys have been on North Broad Street since the 1990's. Things aren't nearly as bad as you're stating. The area around Temple is actually becoming very nice right now.

I wonder where the poor people are going because housing is going for $400+ per square foot. A little further south it's going for $600+ per square foot. Heck Strawberry Mansion is becoming expensive.

Oh, for those that don't know, Drexel isn't anywhere near Temple. University City is in West Philadelphia (other side of the Schuylkill River) next to the University of Pennsylvania. Just north of Drexel is the Powelton Village neighborhood which is now going through gentrification. The next neighborhood north is Mantua and is still a veritable war zone reminiscent of a third world country. But, if the money keeps flowing it will start to transition soon. Once a neighborhood starts transitioning the housing prices go from $30/foot to $300/foot overnight.
Time to buy in Mantua!

Time to buy in Mantua!
Seriously. Go to Zillow and check out housing price history. Start at the Art Museum and head northeast on Fairmount Avenue and look at housing prices from 25th street up to Broad Street (14 Street). Than head a little west and check price history in Brewerytown. Places that 5 years ago were going for $30k are now $400k.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

Oh, for those that don't know, Drexel isn't anywhere near Temple. University City is in West Philadelphia (other side of the Schuylkill River) next to the University of Pennsylvania. Just north of Drexel is the Powelton Village neighborhood which is now going through gentrification. The next neighborhood north is Mantua and is still a veritable war zone reminiscent of a third world country. But, if the money keeps flowing it will start to transition soon. Once a neighborhood starts transitioning the housing prices go from $20/foot to $300/foot overnight.
Philly is still a dump. 500+ murders, higg taxes, trash, litter and grafitti. No thanks.

Can you name a good public high school? I don't want to campout for a week to get my kid in a lottery for a 1 in 100 shot at getting into a charter where he won't get assaulted once a week.

Seriously. Go to Zillow and check out housing price history. Start at the Art Museum and head northeast on Fairmount Avenue and look at housing prices from 25th street up to Broad Street (14 Street). Than head a little west and check price history in Brewerytown. Places that 5 years ago were going for $30k are now $400k.
How many THOUSANDS of shootings last year?

Philly is still a dump. 500+ murders, higg taxes, trash, litter and grafitti. No thanks.

Can you name a good public high school? I don't want to campout for a week to get my kid in a lottery for a 1 in 100 shot at getting into a charter where he won't get assaulted once a week.
You are clueless.

Julia R Masterman High School They had 23 National Merit Scholars out of 114 students. The student body averaged 1433 SAT. Find me a better PUBLIC high school in the US?

I could go on but you are just ignorant about the city.

You are clueless.

Julia R Masterman High School They had 23 National Merit Scholars out of 114 students. The student body averaged 1433 SAT. Find me a better PUBLIC high school in the US?

I could go on but you are just ignorant about the city.
Not really a public high school. It is a magnet or a charter so 99.9% can't attend. Masterman is basically a publicly funded private school. You also left out the part about Nutters daughter getting assaulted at masterman. There were 20,000 reported crimes in philly schools last year. Thousands more go unreported.

Where do the kids who don't get 1400 on their SATs go?

Ps. Why do city schools with the same funding as masterman not get positive results? Funding is not the problem.

Last edited:
Not really a public high school. It is a magnet or a charter so 99.9% can't attend. Masterman is basically a publicly funded private school. You also left out the part about Nutters daughter getting assaulted at masterman. There were 20,000 reported crimes in philly schools last year. Thousands more go unreported.

Where do the kids who don't get 1400 on their SATs go?

Ps. Why do city schools with the same funding as masterman not get positive results? Funding is not the problem.
Ok, you like to move the goal posts, therefore this will be my last reply to you. Masterman is a Philadelphia Public High School and it is one of the best high schools in the country. Masterman AVERAGED 1433 SAT so most scored vey high and 100% went on to a 4-year college/university.

Central High School, right next to LaSalle, is an excellent high school. Their students must be at or above 80% of the PSSA standardized test scores which make them among the top aggregate student population for public schools in the US.

Central High School holds the distinction of being the only high school in the United States that has the authority, granted by an Act of Assembly in 1849, to confer academic degrees upon its graduates. This practice is still in effect, and graduates who meet the requirements are granted the Bachelor of Arts degree. Central also confers high school diplomas upon graduates who do not meet the requirement for a bachelor’s degree.

Do you have an exceptionally talented daughter? Girls High School, which is right next to Central High School may be a very good choice...if your daughter was truly exceptional.

Now just stop. You probably spend your evening watching the local Philadelphia news which does nothing but showcase the worst of Philly.

Last edited:
Ok, you like to move the goal posts, therefore this will be my last reply to you. Masterman is a Philadelphia Public High School and it is one of the best high schools in the country. Masterman AVERAGED 1433 SAT so most scored vey high and 100% went on to a 4-year college/university.

Central High School, right next to LaSalle, is an excellent high school. Their students must be at or above 80% or the PSSA standardized test scores which make them among the top aggregate student population for public schools in the US.

Central High School holds the distinction of being the only high school in the United States that has the authority, granted by an Act of Assembly in 1849, to confer academic degrees upon its graduates. This practice is still in effect, and graduates who meet the requirements are granted the Bachelor of Arts degree. Central also confers high school diplomas upon graduates who do not meet the requirement for a bachelor’s degree.

Do you have an exceptionally talented daughter? Girls High School, which is right next to Central High School may be a very good choice...if your daughter was truly exceptional.

Now just stop. You probably spend your evening watching the local Philadelphia news which does nothing but showcase the worst of Philly.
Central has gone way down. Their students don't even know how to use a trash can. Have you seen all the trash around central? It's a disgrace. Those kids can't even make my fries hot.

Penn and LaSelle should tell Philly….clean it up or we are out of here. Then publicly start looking for locations to join as one university.
Dude, Penn has a stunning and historic campus. Do yourself a favor and catch a game at Franklin Field or the Palestra. They would have no interest in taking on train wreck LaSalle.

LaSalle is exactly the type of school in major trouble without a clear identity or value to students. It is a distant 3rd at best in terms of Philly area catholic colleges, and fewer people care about attending a Catholic college in general.

LaSalle used to be a solid, affordable school for all those Philly Catholic high school grads. Now it’s really expensive with a sketchy ROI.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT