ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pet peeve of mine: People who don't evacuate hurricane zones who then need rescuing.

Good grief already.

How about we send them a bill for services rendered, and charge them with endangering their children, or if any responders are injured/die while trying to save their stupid A$$es. It's mind-boggling to see a couple from one of the beach towns yesterday holding their infant child as they tell the TV interviewer that they are going o ride out the storm. The poor child has no say in that decision.

not to highjack the thread but this is pretty funny...CNN dude showing the big screen and getting a notification that he has updates ready to be downloaded just over his head...

DnED2ucXgAAvMic.jpg

Reactions: Virginia Joe
Recent history (last 15 years or so) dictates that it's the president's responsibility to get them out of there.
well, there is the missed looting opportunity in there. have to consider that as well.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Saw an interview with the family patriarch of some NYC transplants in one of the NC evacuation zones confidently telling interviewers that his whole family was going to ride it out and they’d be just fine. His daughter was a nurse and he had generators. Well, none of that matters if you are underwater.

well, there is the missed looting opportunity in there. have to consider that as well.
I remember Agnes as a child and the military reserves walking around with loaded M16's. I guess with today's insurance, it's better to just let them take the crap.

Reactions: 81b&w
Good grief already.
Jim, couldn't agree more. Having evacuated more times than I care to count.

I'll explain the rationale to you though.

Take Matthew as an example. Cat 4/5 storm, headed right towards our little barrier island community. Would have wiped the town out. Can't tell you how many of my friends stayed.
"This is just like Floyd. We'll be fine". Well, luckily for all of us, the storm turned slightly and stayed offshore.
Unfortunately, those people who stayed are now convinced, and no rational argument will change their minds, that they were right.
So until they actually do get hit, in their minds, they won't get hit....well because Floyd missed us and Matthew missed us.
They don't get that Hurricane Joe ain't gonna care what Floyd and Matthew did.

I agree.

How dumb are the people that didn't evacuate? First, you are going to lose power. For days. So no electricity unless you have a portable generator outside your house which is going to have to run constantly in 90 mph winds and heavy rains and perhaps get washed over. So then it's not going to work. You can't go anywhere because the roads are flooded and every place is closed. So you could basically be trapped in the upstairs of your house that is dark and no electricity. And now you want rescued. Apparently, people don't know the meaning of life threatening. They should just announced ahead of time, are you prepared to die because we may not be able to get to you for some time if you're stupid enough not to heed warning after warning to evacuate.

Reactions: nittanyfan333
Puts the rescuers at serious risk.....
I don’t believe rescuers are allowed to attempt any rescues until the winds diminish. As I mentioned in another post, wind speeds of 80 mph could send thin gauge steel sheathing airborne and other debris that would cause severe bodily injury.
Gotta womder about the Weather Channel reporters doing these live reports. Eventually, one of them is going to be impaled with something.

Listened to a comentary this morning and one of the points made was that each big storm will do more damage due to the fact that there is continued building and migration to the coast lines. Nice place to live most of the time but when you move there you are accepting risk....

Gotta womder about the Weather Channel reporters doing these live reports. Eventually, one of them is going to be impaled with something.
I saw a video earlier this week of reporter giving her description of the storm when a street whacked her in the side of the head. Happened so fast, all video ceased instantaneously. I think the sign hit on the flat, not the edge. Obviously, if the edge of the sign hit her, we’d probably be reading about a reporter severely sliced.

If I remember where i saw the vid, i'll post.

I saw a video earlier this week of reporter giving her description of the storm when a street whacked her in the side of the head. Happened so fast, all video ceased instantaneously. I think the sign hit on the flat, not the edge. Obviously, if the edge of the sign hit her, we’d probably be reading about a reporter severely sliced.

Then there’s that famous video of a Welsh weather reporter getting smacked by an airborne fish.

Reactions: step.eng69
Saw an interview with the family patriarch of some NYC transplants in one of the NC evacuation zones confidently telling interviewers that his whole family was going to ride it out and they’d be just fine. His daughter was a nurse and he had generators. Well, none of that matters if you are underwater.
I think I saw the same interview, and I think that guy said he had a genny and 10 gals of gas!! Most genny's rule of thumb is a gallon an hour!! so what you doing the rest of the time???

Reactions: step.eng69
Exactly. Generators won'T matter if you're flooded.

I feel the same about people who feel the need to go into a raging stream and then require rescue personnel to risk their lives pulling them out. I am talking about thrill seekers who think it would be fun to take a kayak or boat into a flooding waterway

As someone who's lived in Houston for the last 24 years, I'd like to interject here and just caution all you smart guys that live in PA or Ohio or wherever that have never had to make a call to evacuate or not, that it's not always an easy call to make. My family has evacuated 3 times for Katrina, Rita, and Ike. We rode out Harvey because it hit way south of us and got lucky that our home wasn't flooded. I don't think anyone knew how bad Harvey was going to be in Houston until it was too late to order the evacuation. Even if they had ordered the evac, trying to get 8 million people out of here would have been potentially worse than the flood itself. Just try to understand that people have different reasons for wanting to ride it out and some of them are valid and some not. Maybe they can't afford a place to stay if they leave or they are worried about their pets or in my case, have a family member that would have a real health issue if forced to leave their home. Yes, I agree that some people are just stupid and think they're invincible or whatever but making blanket statements about people is also stupid in my humble opinion.

How dumb are the people that didn't evacuate? First, you are going to lose power. For days. So no electricity unless you have a portable generator outside your house which is going to have to run constantly in 90 mph winds and heavy rains and perhaps get washed over. So then it's not going to work. You can't go anywhere because the roads are flooded and every place is closed. So you could basically be trapped in the upstairs of your house that is dark and no electricity. And now you want rescued. Apparently, people don't know the meaning of life threatening. They should just announced ahead of time, are you prepared to die because we may not be able to get to you for some time if you're stupid enough not to heed warning after warning to evacuate.
What you are describing are pretty extreme events. I live between the intracoastal waterway and the ocean and have never evacuated for a number of reasons. This is over a period of 30 years and a dozen or so storms and 2 eyes. I agree that non-evacuees shouldn't request assistance, but not everyone is comfortable leaving their property. Free country and all.

Reactions: Gnat91
As an on-air meteorologist, I have found myself MANY times over the years biting my tongue when it comes to this kind of stuff. We had 3 people die last week in the DFW area who drove into high water and had their cars swept away. One was an 18-yr old mother with her 2-yr old baby. This did not have to happen!! As far as evacuating goes. It happens with EVERY storm. I have never heard a storm survivor tell a reporter after a storm..."You know what, I'm glad we stayed". It is terrifying to ride out a hurricane, especially one like Florence that meteorologists warned would pound these areas for 48-72 hours. My first on-air job was in Wilmington, NC 30 years ago. I know that area very well. The situation many are referring to happened up in New Bern which is about 30 miles (as the crow flies) from the coast. The BIG problem is that people don't realize that storm surge is not just a barrier island phenomenon. Florence swept water 40 miles inland across the Pamlico Sound and then another 15 miles upstream via the Neuse River into New Bern where the surge was 10 feet! Same thing can happen in other areas. A hurricane tracking west of the Chesapeake can drive water all the way up the Potomac and generate 10+ foot surges in Alexandria and DC! Mother Nature is nothing to mess with, but sadly people always underestimate the impacts and then put the lives of others in danger to come bail their butts out!

I think I saw the same interview, and I think that guy said he had a genny and 10 gals of gas!! Most genny's rule of thumb is a gallon an hour!! so what you doing the rest of the time???
Reading the comments,..... "fake news". but :cool:. i stopped the video, and it's a STOP sign.
She is annoying.

You can run a generator just a few hours a day to keep a refrigerator cold and the freezer making ice. It's all about the ice. Once you're out and have no power, that's when it starts to really suck.

Reactions: PSU87

agreed re: those who simply choose to stay. It's the poor who can't afford to evacuate for whatrever reason or those incapable of leaving that deserve the sympathy. If it's just hubris, thrill seeking, not giving a darn, then they should be held accountable.
Yep, everyone completely forgets about the poor. A symptom of the entire country. Those that have the means to get out, sure, go ahead and kill them. But there are a lot of poor people that get lumped in the same group and many in this thread gave exactly 0% consideration to that.

As someone who's lived in Houston for the last 24 years, I'd like to interject here and just caution all you smart guys that live in PA or Ohio or wherever that have never had to make a call to evacuate or not, that it's not always an easy call to make. My family has evacuated 3 times for Katrina, Rita, and Ike. We rode out Harvey because it hit way south of us and got lucky that our home wasn't flooded. I don't think anyone knew how bad Harvey was going to be in Houston until it was too late to order the evacuation. Even if they had ordered the evac, trying to get 8 million people out of here would have been potentially worse than the flood itself. Just try to understand that people have different reasons for wanting to ride it out and some of them are valid and some not. Maybe they can't afford a place to stay if they leave or they are worried about their pets or in my case, have a family member that would have a real health issue if forced to leave their home. Yes, I agree that some people are just stupid and think they're invincible or whatever but making blanket statements about people is also stupid in my humble opinion.

Id like to springboard off of this. Take Irma last year in Florida. The path was expected to come right up the state. Where to you go? North? Well thats all good except a tank of gas is going to only get you half way out of the state. Stop and fill up? Good luck with that when eveyone is preparing and everyone is out of gas. Bring gas with you? Yeah if you have a truck maybe because Im not driving with 15-20 gallons of gas in the hot truck of a car sitting in traffic. its not as easy as everyone thinks.

The hardest thing is to wait long enough and know its path and where to go. These things move and change direction all of the time.

Best thing you can do is be prepared for the worst case scenario

Even this Carolina situation. People that go west are going to be stuck in dangerous situations too if not more so because they are now out of their element.

Now with all of this being said. When I choose to stay, I fully accept that decision and I am not expecting someone to come and save me. In fact, the exact opposite. I am prepared enough that I will be able to provide help to others.

In the same high-risk area? Some of these places get washed away again and again. MOVE. :eek:
so ? if they are willing to pay for the insurance, and the insurance company is willing to write it, what do you care?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT